Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Can’t stand for Bas, but what about a chair?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    carpecanis

I’m recovering from ACL reconstruction surgery and my surgeon has ruled out any KM stuff, or even standing punching, for at least three more months. I’m back to the gym and lifting weights, but I feel my stamina and speed slowly fading away. So, I’m thinking of trying to do the Bas boxing, but while sitting in a chair.

Yes, I think it’s as lame as it sounds, but I think it might help. However I’m also wondering if after a few months of sitting down, I’ll just end up developing bad habits and form and I’ll have to work to get rid of ’em once I’m finally cleared to do the real thing.

Any thoughts? Should I just suck it up and hold off for the next few months? Thanks!

don

Re: Can’t stand for Bas, but what about a chair?

You didn’t say how long ago you had the surgery. Personally, having BTDT, I would make rehab/PT for your legs the first priority. I would be very leery about doing activities outside the recommended/prescribed exercises, especially if the surgery hasn’t healed/set yet. You might think doing something unrelated would be ok BUT, if you have to catch yourself, readjust, turn suddenly, etc.

As long as it takes for you to get your wheels back, KM/Bas/whomever/whatever will still be there. Personally, I’d rather make sure my knee/legs are as close to 100% as possible before coming back and putting them through heavy MMA/plyometric types of training. Last thing I’d want is to screw up what the surgeon fixed and/or have to go through it all over again…

jburtonpdx

We do these things to improve our lives — fitness, confidence, safety, and security for us and our families. In the course of normal life injuries do happen. We have to allow ourselves to heal, or we are defeating the purpose of the work we do at the gym.

Do what your doc says. Heal, get better. What Don said above is absolutely true. It will all be there when you are signed off by the doc.

Sure you might have to recover some of your stamina and speed, but you will be surprised at how fast they come back.

Focus your energies on your recovery. In the meantime find something else to fill some of the time. Personally I’m fighting a back/hip thing, so in the meantime I am spending some more time out at the range remotely putting holes into innocent pieces of paper….

clfmak

If I was stuck in a chair, I’d look into some wheelchair fencing. A friend of a friend of mine was in a pretty bad motorcycle accident, and I did some of this with him while in rehab. Its a lot of fun, has a martial collection and kept him active. I don’t know if it would help your krav, though.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

After the shoulder I grabbed a notebook and sat in every higher level class I could and took notes in he back of the class. This was pre complete Krav Maga book came out. The running joke became that I was writing Krav Maga for dummies.

By actually writing the techniques out it really helped me commit things to memory.

Having said that one of the things I did after my right knee blew out was take up knife because I could practice 12 strikes Triangle patterns etc from a stationary position, watching tv whatever. I was always playing with my knife. Then switched to Karambit and worked on those techniques. Theres tons of material available on FMA

I also was able to really work on things like perfecting punching I know it sounds strange but seated in front of a mirror really went a long way to correcting habits when doing hooks/uppercuts/elbows.

Lastly I dont know what level you are but doing the techniques slow to work on details will really clean you up and visualization goes a long way. Even something as simple as choke from the side can be preformed while sitting at your desk at the office, doesnít have to be 100% just has to be correct.

carpecanis

Just to clarify: At my 6-week post-op checkup I asked my surgeon how long before I could get back into basic boxing-type movesÖ no kicking of course, just punchingÖ but I made sure to describe the whole rear-foot twisting/pivoting motion. He told me to not even consider it for another 3 months. I jokingly asked if I could do it while sitting on a chair and, to my surprise, he said that was fine.

Iím cleared for all upper-body workouts, bodyweight squats and lunges, and very light leg presses on a machine. I am not cleared to do any sorts of sideways, or twisting, motions with my weight on my feet since that will put stress on my newly reconstructed ligament.

Iíve been back to the gym at my KM school and Iím glad to be working out again. However, pushing heavy objects is all well and good, but nothing relieves the stress like repeatedly hitting something as hard as you can. So, even though I had said it as a joke, I am seriously considering trying to do the Bas Boxing (regular, not Thai) workout from a chair.

Iím currently L2 and ironically, my ACL surgery was the same week I was scheduled to take the L2 test. I have been hanging out and observing classes post-workout and taking some mental notes. It has been surprisingly educational since I’ve been able to observe the common mistakes that people make and that I’ve been making the exact same mistakes and never realized it. I hadnít thought of writing things down but thatís a pretty good idea too.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Iíll try to be patient (for now) and take notes and work on the moves mentally and in slow motion. Iíd also like to try out the knife stuff you were referring to CJDÖ where could I find more information on that?

kirsten

I say train! What an awesome opportunity to work on combatives and defenses from a seated position!! Don’t stand, just stay in the chair. We train our city bus drivers from a seated position and they love it… Just be safe and do not hurt yourself by getting excited and standing up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: