Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Carb and protein question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    topitbull

I am gettting mixed answers to my questions from friends so I thought I would ask you guys!

Should I eat a high carb meal earlier in the day of my training or the day before?

Also what about protein? after classes or next day?

Any advice would be appreciated.

ktulu

According to the book \”The Fighter’s Body: An Owner’s Manual\” you should eat somewhere around 2 hours before the time when you’re going to need it. Supposedly it takes that long for yor body to turn food into fuel.

You don’t just want to eat carbohydrates before class, you want to eat the right carbohydrates. Foods like candy and starchy foods like potatoes release their sugars into your blood stream relatively quickly. This will give you a quick rush of energy (sugar rush) and you’ll crash soon after. Eat foods low on the glycemic index (http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm) like apples, grapefruit, and pasta. These foods release their energy slowly giving you an even energy over a longer period of time.

After your workout you need to replace the nutrients that you used or sweated out. The amounts of macro nutrients (carbs, protein, and fat) you’ll need to replace depend on the type of workout you performed. A highly aerobic workout will require you replace more carbs, some protein, and little fat. An anaerobic workout (weights, strength training) requires you take in more protein to rebuild your muscles. You will still require more carbs but you’ll want a higher percentage of protein.

The percentages you’ll need of each macro nutrient depends on your body. A good starting point for your general diet would be 40% Carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. You’ll need to find out what works for you. So, after a predominately aerobic workout you might want to eat something like 60% Carbs, 35% protein, and 5% fat. And, with an anaerobic work out, maybe, 50%, 45%, 5%. These numbers are off the top of my head and might be a considerable percentage off but they illustrate my point pretty well.

One other thing about protein, for best results, it should be consumed in the first half hour after your workout. The effectiveness decreases with time but it can be effective even an hour or two after.

I highly recommend the book mentioned above. It’s full of information concerning this and other parts of martial arts training. I find the writing style very easy to read.

garddawg

Good advice from Ktulu. The only difference I would have is to stay away from pasta as well. Carbs from unprocessed fruits and vegetables are a better way to go. A good place to start is with the Zone diet which recommends a 40/30/30 breakdown for macro nutrient intake. Coach Greg Glassman wrote something titled \”World-Class Fitness in 100 Words\”. The part on what to eat is a good basic perscription on what to eat; the Zone describes the quantities to eat.

■ Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds,
    some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep
    intake to levels that will support exercise but
    not body fat.
    ■ Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean,
    squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly,
    master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups,
    dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to
    handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds.
    Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast.
    ■ Five or six days per week mix these elements
    in as many combinations and patterns
    as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy.
    Keep workouts short and intense.
    ■ Regularly learn and play new sports.

rangerg

Even tho I am a runner, I stay away from pasta too.

I take in two protein shakes a day. I try and keep my carbs down. What carbs I do take in are slow burning complex carbs. No candy, sugar, donuts or junk food….ever.

With running and weight lifting..I was burning the candle at both ends.. Not sure where that puts me now with adding Krav to the mix.

leftie79

Pushups, situps, dips, squats, jumproping, running are great if you don’t have access to a gym/pool. They are also quick if you don’t have a lot of time to go workout. I enjoy lap swimming myself…it’s an excellent workout and isn’t hard on the joints. Works arms, legs, abs, etc.

I don’t drink soda anymore (gave that up last yr sometime) but I am now slowly trying to stop eating processed foods.

topitbull

After all that… still no answer.

I can’t eat 2 hours before class, because I will puke, and if I don’t it’s becuase I didn’t try hard enough.

Ok so no bread, pasta, sugar.
    Should I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables 4-6 hours before class?

and a mix of protein and carbs within a couple of hours od class end.

I am not looking for advice on how to work out or which activities to do.

I go to Krav Maga classes that’s why I’m on this forum.

I do know the difference between good and bad carbs, I just wanted the timing.

If i eat some fruit and vegetables, how long will it take for me to get access to that fuel.

runnergirl

Lots of fruit or veggies before class can be very bad on the tummy if you get my drift… 😳 Too much fiber for most people.

From and endurance running perspective (check Nancy Clark, RD’s book on my details if you’re so inclined) pre-workout eating is very individual.

For a one hour class I’d go with a little gatorade (8 oz.) 30 minutes before, or a banana (low fiber fruit). If you really can’t eat or drink at all less than two hours out, it’s not going to matter as long as you have a reasonable carb intake (min. 40% of cals) the 24 hours before.

The best recovery fuel, no more than 40 minutes after, is a 4:1 carb to protein ratio. I know bodybuilder types disagree, but check pubmed for lots of medical studies on this subject.

mrjoshua

diet

I have been a competive bodybuilder for 8 years and involved in MA since I was a kid. The earlier info is all good. Carbs vs Protien all depends on your indivdual goals and body types however as a general rule of thumb if you consume 1.5 grams of Protien and 3.0 grams of carbs per body pound per day you are good to go. I never bothered watching my fats so much. My pre-workout meals for both weights and MA are relitivly the same. 1-2 hours prior it was always oatmeal, or believe it or not a peanut butter sandwiches, then a protein shake post workout with a bannana. I save the fruit for other meals. PS: I would reccomend any nutrition advise by Chris Aceto. He has several good, easy to read guides out there. Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: