Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Choke from behind with pull

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

If there’s any one technique in Krav Maga that really confuses me, it’s choke from behind with a pull. I’m trying to understand why a specific technique is practiced and how common this really is in self defense. I’ve read the Complete Krav Maga book multiple items, practiced this in class, and been drilled on it.

We often use the drill that most of you are familiar with. Defender has their eyes closed in a room with the lights off, we even crank up music to make it hard to hear. They are free to attack any way that has been covered up to our current skill level. Every time somebody does a choke from behind with pull, I immediately pluck and turn around. The grip seems incredibly weak no matter whom I’m defending against. These are individuals who aren’t going easy.

It honestly seems like the whole thing is redundant in the fact that it doesn’t feel like much of a choke and merely turning your shoulder in and rolling is enough. I’ve noticed with everybody else.

Can somebody elaborate on this technique? Why it’s practiced in the manner that it is?

Thank you!

stuartf

Re: Choke from behind with pull

The context I’ve been shown for why someone would do this is they’re either trying to throw you to the floor or pull you in closer so they can transition to a rear naked choke.

When I’ve practiced with a partner trying to do one of those two things to me, the throw to floor is harder to counter, and turning and bursting in works. The pull into RNC is easier to counter, but will often result in a side headlock escape or bar arm choke escape.

Thanks Stuart and I’ll have to give that a try and see what I come up with.

tzrider

In my classes, it’s rare to have a partner who really applies what you’d call a choke. It’s more like a shoulder massage. I have to remind partners to grip my neck rather than shoulders. With their hands on my shoulders, I physically cannot pluck their hands and I don’t need to, as they can’t hang on anyway. When they do actually grip my neck, the technique makes some sense.

I am aware of that habit. :): Something I see new students doing often. But I can assure you that we aren’t getting a shoulder massage when doing this technique. I have to wait until Saturday for me to try out Stuart’s suggestions. I’ve been trying to find videos of other schools working on this technique but I can’t.

kiddon

quote tzrider:

In my classes, it’s rare to have a partner who really applies what you’d call a choke. It’s more like a shoulder massage. I have to remind partners to grip my neck rather than shoulders. With their hands on my shoulders, I physically cannot pluck their hands and I don’t need to, as they can’t hang on anyway. When they do actually grip my neck, the technique makes some sense.

You are right, people today not trainig with reality, we must simulate like have you benn at street with some assailant, for people more experienced must training hard and strenght, if you are weak your partner dont know if technique results or not….

kmyoshi

tzrider, where in CA are you? I like to train in the most realistic and safest (as I can) way possible… as long as my partner is okay with training at that level.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: