Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Choosing (and being) a good training partner

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    kravmdjeff

unstlbable, interesting you mention talking while training. It’s a pet peeve of mine. You’re right in that it leads to one student teaching the other, which is only usually good in very small quantities. If people have a legitimate question, obviously it would be quicker to just run it by the instructor. And having a question isn’t a reason to stop physically training, but many people use it as such.

anonymous

It seems that if students are talking too much, they are not taking the training very seriously. It would be up to the instructor to assert control or remind them what self-defense training is really all about.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

unstlbable, interesting you mention talking while training. It’s a pet peeve of mine. You’re right in that it leads to one student teaching the other, which is only usually good in very small quantities. If people have a legitimate question, obviously it would be quicker to just run it by the instructor. And having a question isn’t a reason to stop physically training, but many people use it as such.

I’m looking at what you’ve done to my user name and thinking \”you must know me well\”. unstable babble 😆 My friends will tell you that probably fits 🙄 😆

Thai trainers always pad up while teaching. They end up working with everyone, most of the time. Beginners recieve alot of attention. They notice everything and while your catching your breath, their giving instruction to others. Of course, from day one almost the pad holder is calling out combos, so he’s being trained to lead.

I reread the article and liked it alot. You may appreciate this. Not too long ago, I was training at a kenpo dojo. I liked the instructor, he did bjj, was going to play at chute-boxe usa and is excellent at kenpo. The main reason i stopped training there was the student mentality. One of the most common phrases I heard was I’m bored show me another Technique. as you know advancement is based on a set number of tachs, but even when we weren’t working set ciricullum, like learning to swim in grappling that phrase would pop out. I understand the instructors situation in this,which is not the point of this discussion. From the POV of this thread, being a good training partner starts with the focus on improving the fundamentals of the movement. This requires patience and repition. you learn while watching your partner struggle 🙂 If you go out to lunch while dummmying, you missover half the lesson

kravjeff

I really enjoyed the article too !!

One point about talking while training, which I tend to do a bit – If I’m at all unsure, I try to ask the person I’m holdoing for (especially with focus mitts) if my position and specifically the height is OK … I try not to make a lot of suggestions unless it’s about the basics (hands dropping, utilizing body rotation for power, etc …). I like to help, but try to leave the instructing to the instructors …

As an aside, I’m sure that you all can appreciate that holding mitts (and pads) well has to be learned and practiced. I don’t think it’s inappropriate to either ask someone to hold them in a different position (e.g., \”higher\” for you tall guys) or to help them with their technique, especially if they’re inexperienced.

kravmdjeff

unstp- While this isn’t completely true, I’ve noticed the people who get bored easily tend to not realize the vast amount of improvement that THEY need on a given technique to get proficient. They want to move on because they have a false sense of skill about things. This isn’t completely true, but often enough for me to be suspicious when I know they are getting bored learning from an engaging instructor.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: