Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    badge54

I have attended a few semminars in KM and am now taking classes. Our Martial arts center in Gahanna Ohio has just introduced KM classes. I have taken some (read that little) traditional martial arts and am used to a few of the Protocalls that are in a traditional class.

Our instructor opens with a bow with one clenched fist covered by the other hand. He also says \”Ke da\” (help me if that’s spelled wrong). What does that mean?

Are there any other protocalls or maners besides the typical respect for the instructor or is KM really that laid back?

Badge54

ryan

Kidah is \”to bow\”. The open hand/clinched fist is something he’s picked up from some TMA–that’s not KM.

filtersweep

Re: Class Manners

quote \”Badge54\:

Are there any other protocalls or maners besides the typical respect for the instructor or is KM really that laid back?

Badge54

I can’t speak for any other gyms, because I’ve only been to mine, but the only \”ceremony\” we follow regularly is high knuckles at the end of class. And that’s more \”good job, nice work today\” than it is a real protocol.

clfmak

The hand over the fist comes from the shaolin tradition. Its symbolic of complimentary opposites like yin/yang, sun/moon. It is also relevant that it is symbolic of weapon/sheath- you are showing that you have put your weapons away and you’re there in peace. I’ve seen this extended out at about chest level, or held close to the body, or even with the fist in a chambered position at the side.
    In KM I’ve seen bows where the arms are slightly bent and the hands are in fists near the waistline, like the ready position in karate. I always thought that was a cool way to bow.

kravron

We do something similar as the bow with Kedah, actually almost exactly the same. But I am sure it is more of a little bit of TMA that has snuck into Krav. It doesnt bother me though. I think that bowing to your instructor at the begining and ending of a class isnt a bad thing.

badge54

Thank you for the replies. The Hand and Fist is the same as my Choy Li Fut that I was taking. I know the instructor has an extensive background in TKD.

I don’t mind the bow, I like the instructor.

Badge54

ffdo

I also bow after working directly with the instructor, more of a TMA habit and show of resect for the instructor. I never saw any bowing when I trained in Israel, but then, we know KM is not exactly the same here from previous posts, and there is nothing wrong with that.

JC

klem

Where in Gahanna and who is the instructor. Also, do they have Level 2 and Level 3 classes available?

badge54

I hesitate to put this up in case I’m violating a forum rule of some kind about advertising. I’m sure I’ll be corrected if so.

Gahanna Martial arts Center on Morrison rd.

1000 Morrison rd. suite A
    (614)861-6213

The Instructor is Mark Slane, He (was in Dublin if you know him) is a black belt in KM. The calsses are in thier infancy at the new school but I know that he used to have the advanced classes available.

Badge54

g-v

We do this crazy bow thing at the end of the class where we stand at attention and then bow and say ‘yus’. I personally think it’s silly and have no friggin clue what ‘yus’ means, but oh well…I play along. 😆

anonymous

\”yus\” sounds like something Amir would say….

tkdcardshark

Where I take km we end by crossing our fists low, bowing and also saying \”ki-dah\” (Durr, spelling.) I find that compared to all the bowing and such that I’ve done in tkd, there really isnít that much in km. It’s funny because from tkd I’ve had it drilled into me to bow when ever I inter the \”do-jang\”, getting a pad from someone, whenever the instructor helps me with something, whenever I’m called on, exe. So basically I spend half my km class facing the ground. 😛 My instructor in km kind of laughs when I do it through, probably because he has a background of something like 17 years in tkd, so he understands. lol.

drandles

Our classes also start with a bow, arms slightly bent in front, with clenched fist, and say \”ki-dah.\” I have a habbit as well saying yes sir, thank you sir all the time and students chuckle. Because the instructor and I are both TKD instructors, we still give each other the courtesy expected inside/outside a TKD classroom. It confuses a lot of the students because they dont’ know that I teach TKD and think that I am a KM instructor taking class. I explain to them all the time that I am only a student and beginning at that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: