Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Cleaning sparing gear?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kpalena

Hey guys. Not that it has happened yet, but I anticipate my sparing gear starting to get nasty if I don’t somehow celan it. Any ideas on how to do that?

bradm

I always sprayed mine with Frebreeze and threw it on my closet floor and let it air out. Works good on hand wraps too – I found that I didn’t have to wash them as often.

njl

Thanks for the heads up on the spray stuff..

clfmak

I use Lysol spray on my stuff and let it dry outside. If you leave it outside too long, the elastic may start to give. Febreeze works OK too. Spray everything but your mouthpiece. You can wash handwraps in a washing machine (although all of our clothes may become tangled up in them). For the insides of gloves, they make these things called glove dogs that you put inside your gloves when not in use to absorb excess moisture. You can make your own, but I’ve never done it. The inside of the glove is a hard area to get- its hard to dry out, and moisture in there can brew up some nasty bacteria. I know a guy who had a small cut on his hand, and he got a really bad infection that spread all over (a staph infection, probably).

psyops

Simple Green,

This is an all purpose cleaner that really works well on gear. In fact I add a cap full to my laundry when I wash my workout gear.

srob

cleaning gear

Not to be rude, but please wash your hand wraps after each use. We all sweat, touch the floor and each other and there is no worse way to spread really nasty bactreria than sweaty and dirty wraps. Just think about it, we punch the dirty and sweaty pads and floor, touch our own faces and bodies, as well as our partners and classmates.
    The best way to wash the wraps is to put them inside a mesh bag ( for washing nylons). These mesh bags are sold in supermarkets, walmart, target and etc.
    Wipe the gear and let it dry. I would be careful spraying headgear with commercial cleaners. I clean headgear (once every couple of weeks) by soaking a towel in a warm water and soap and then rinse and let dry.

g-v

I don’t do anything to my gear besides wiping everything down with a towel and letting it air dry in my garage. I’m a big-time sweater, but luckily, not a stinker.

maskedkat

Why am I thinking of SPINAL TAP right now? Oh, yeah… \”SMELL THE GLOVE\”.

Seriously, good point about washing the handwraps. Like you GV I am a big-time sweater; the stink comes later, when the sweat’s had time to fester and bacteria’s got a nice warm place to breed.

\”We’ve got Armadillos in our trousers. It’s really quite frightening. \”

— David St. Hubbins

What was St. Hubbins the patron saint of?

maskedkat

Re:

quote \”Sledge Hammer\:

What was St. Hubbins the patron saint of?

Quality footwear!

emil

for the inside of the headgear, I took a clean unused dish sponge and little bit of soap with water. it worked really well. now it’s getting disgusting again…
    glove dogs work really well, the only thing is that they extend the hook in the gloves, makes it harder to clinch.

kravmdjeff

For mouthpiece, I suggest brushing it with toothpaste. Then, not only will it stay clean, it will taste good the next time you go to spar!

g-v

Seriously though, does y’all’s gear really get that funky?

Back when I was was a young G.V., I worked at a gas station pumping gas with this one other dude. This guy was really fat and kinda sloppy looking, and was a bit of an asshat to boot. But the worst thing about him was his smell! When he would sweat (which was like, always), he’d give off this sour stench that could literally bring tears to your eyes. Skunks would recoil in sheer horror from this dude. Seriously, he should get some kind of world-record award for that b.o.

Anyways, wonder what he would use to clean his sparring gear with?

maskedkat

Re:

[quote=\”G.V.\”]Seriously though, does y’all’s gear really get that funky?

Back when I was was a young G.V., I worked at a gas station pumping gas with this one other dude. This guy was really fat and kinda sloppy looking, and was a bit of an asshat to boot. But the worst thing about him was his smell!

From the Department of Things You Probably Don’t Want to Know But Here I Go Anyway:

Many obese people have problems with chronic yeast infections on their skin, because yeast and bacteria accumulate in their fleshy vastness and it is a horrid smell like no other.

Thought you’d wanna know. 😉

g-v

Re:

Ha, so that’s why!

Oh wait…*puke* Ahhh, that’s better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: