Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    seeq-qc

Hello all
    i have a question about breathing….hope it’s not too rudimentary. Whenever i do my sets of combatives, especially the longer combinations, i end up a little winded and out of breath after 3 or 4 combos. Paying a bit more attention i realize that i am exhaling during all my strikes or moves, which i think is good technique, but i don’t inhale until the combo is completed. The issue i have is, i’m not sure if that approach is correct. When exactly when it is best to inhale? If performing a 6-9 move combo, do seasoned KM practitioners inhale after the entire sequence is complete or is it preferable to continuously inhale and exhale during the combo?

I know it’s a bit odd, but i really think that my inability to sort this issue out is holding me back performance and endurance wise.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

CQC

clfmak

Re: Combatives and breathing

When you exhale sharply after a strike, your lungs should automatically expand a bit afterwards, rather than breathing out a little bit each strike until your lungs totally deflate (at least as I do things, maybe others have different input).

don

IMO, all else being equal, more breathing is better than less. If you can get a full exhale and full inhale per strike/technique, great. If not, try getting partial breaths (quicker/shallower) in between. Or, maybe try catching some air every second or third strike/technique (instead of at the end of 6/9/whatever number).

seeq-qc

CLF, Don….thanks for the comments!

It’s really not even an issue when i’m working on a single strike or 2 strike combos, but when you are ripping off strikes, keeping them tightly packed with no pauses, unless there is slight break between strikes for repositioning, deepbursting or pivoting, there is no chance to inhale. I’m just now re-training myself to exhale during my strikes — I used to hold my breath unconsciously for the entire 9 strike combo… VERY BAD, would get lightheaded after 4 or so combos in a row.

I’d hate to put a slight break in the combo to allow for inhalation, but i guess that is the direction i am getting. I guess i could take that opportunity to burst laterally to the deadside to keep the BG guessing, take my breath, and continue my combo?

cqc

phlegmon27

First of all, start going to Yoga classes. It will help you in sooooo many ways. Flexability, balance, and most importantly, breathing. Learning to breathe while in the middle of a combo (without stopping, or even being aware of it) is a very valuable skill. I find myself getting in trouble now when I try to control my breathing, instead of just letting it happen. Give it a shot.

seeq-qc

I am focusing on that and even now, working on it for a relatively short period of time, i am able to still exhale during strikes and inhale semi-naturally as i switch from one strike type to another in a combination.

Big thanks for all the aid thumbsup

cQc

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: