Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    theduke

First I’d just say that I love my KM training. After trying out a few places, it was definitely the right fit. These are just some minor concerns I’ve had while training.

My only concerns are:

1. Ranking System-I’m not really concerned with rank. only that you primarily learn what’s in your rank. Also why so long to advance? It seems it could take in excess in four years to obtain black belt. For a system designed for fast learning and simplicity it seems a little drawn out to teach some basic techniques. Which leads me to believe this is mostly done for retention. I will say that it does hammer in the basics.

2. Classes designed for 2 days a week? I’ve noticed and heard that most KM schools are designed for attending 2 days a week. So that if I come a third day it’s usually covering the same stuff on the second day:abx:.

Basically I believe in the system and my school, I just wish there was a little more room to progress or options in training. When I look ahead in the Complete KM book that supposedly mimices level training, I am surprised what i won’t be learning until years into the system. I’ve been looking to other schools to possibly supplement my training.

Just like to hear some insight from instructors/practitioners.

longroad

Re: concerns with KM

TheDuke

I will be brief. I have heard the “it seems to take a long time to get a black belt” comment before. I agree and a disagree. I agree because Krav really builds off the early foundation and carries that technique into the higher level material so you would think it would not take so long. On the other hand, there are fine points that can only be explained or click later on. This also relates to your second comment. Krav supposedly has an outlined curriculum and it is broken down in time frames based on an average student who would supposedly only be coming twice weekly. Obviously, if you are attending more or less and understanding the material better or worse you would progress faster or slower. If you go on the third or fourth or even fifth day a week to train you should be seeing new material or reinforcing material for your specific level. Just remember, because you show up does not mean that you will pass to the next level. I have never had a gimme on a test. This was the experience in the places I have trained but every place is a little different.

The old time frame breaks were:
    Level I 3 months
    Level II 6 months
    Level III 9 months
    Level IV 9 months
    Level V 12 months
    Level VI 12 months

or something close to this.

What I think is more important, is that you understand the material and can implement right away. While you may be in Level I or II, instructors may occasionally give you an opportunity to see and train higher material, such as weapons and such either in a random class or in seminar.

Have fun and train hard.

Respectfully
    LR

parishd

I never tire of the basics drills. Even after advancing a level, the majority of the classes I attend are for the basics. My goal is to have every technique so completely ingrained that my responses are completely autonomic. It also helps expose me to a larger cross-section of body types, attack mechanics, aggression levels, etc., than I would encounter if I just attended the more advanced classes.

Actually I just started back after about a 18-month lay-off due to an injury and surgery, and once again I’m finding the regimented nature of the basics drills to be very helpful. I’m back to 5 days/week and really enjoying it.

Cheers.

maddogmean

I’ve been taking KM for a little over 3 years now and I still mix in lower level classes into my training. I want to make sure to stay on top of all the techniques. Especially the basics. Everything starts with the foundation. Proper stance and movement. Straight punches and 360s may seem pretty basic now, but when you move onto more advanced techniques that involve knives, guns etc. those basics need to be 100%.

I guess I never really concerned myself with my ranking. I only wanted to perfect each technique no matter how long it took. An attacker won’t care if you’re a yellow belt or a black belt.

maddogmean

Duke,

I wasn’t trying to imply that you were concerned about ranking in my previous post. Sorry if it read that way.

It does take longer to progress through KM with less classes per week. But here are a few things that helped me out:

One thing that really helped me in my KM training was a lot of outside practice at home. Walking through the techniques slowly, light shadow boxing, and working on my movement and stance didn’t require a partner and a classroom. The book is a great supplement as well.

I also worked with great partners. There are a couple of people I’ve partnered with since KM 1. I trust them to point out anything I may miss, and I do the same for them. I can also call on them to help me prepare for upcoming level testing.

Don’t get discouraged. You’ll find that there’s so much to learn in each level. Good luck in your training. Have fun.

stevetuna

quote parishd:

I never tire of the basics drills. Even after advancing a level, the majority of the classes I attend are for the basics. My goal is to have every technique so completely ingrained that my responses are completely autonomic. It also helps expose me to a larger cross-section of body types, attack mechanics, aggression levels, etc., than I would encounter if I just attended the more advanced classes.

Well said!

theduke

thanks for the already great feedback. Everything you guys touched on makes perfect sense. I sure I could make the analogy to exercise where people love to progress right to the more advanced exercise, but lose sight of the components of each that do take time to become proficient at.

I guess the root of my concerns come from the fear that I may be missing out on grappling/throwing, etc until much later down the line.

ems-warlord

Basic groundfighting starts in level 1, and level 2 has some too. You won’t see armbars and stuff like that later, but this isn’t MMA. Stick with it and they will explain why you learn it in this order. The first goal is survival, and drawn out one on one wrestling matches leave you exposed to other attackers for too long. But if you like grappling, and can afford to cross train take up MMA or BJJ! Best of luck to you! Train hard!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Another thing you might try is doing the entire class opposite stance. I do it all the time take level 1, 2, 3 left handed. Technique, shadowboxing, sparring everything and for weapons I ask my partner to attack me left handed.

Just a thought.

unstpabl1

Ask a bjj BB how long it took them to get theirs.

guitarded-1

quote unstpabl1:

Ask a bjj BB how long it took them to get theirs.

EXACTLY. All things considered, the path to a KM black belt isn’t at all unreasonable. It’s not like some other disciplines that hand out black belts to 7 year olds.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: