Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics conditioning for class

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    coopster1012

hi all im new to the forum, and will be starting classes in the next month and im kinda out of shape. is there anytype of conditioning I can do at home to get my self ready for class? I can walk at 4mph for 20 mins and run at 5 mph for like 10mins. but I still feel I need my conditioning before I start. what would help me prepare for class? im doing a full body workout routine 3 times a week and interval cardio training every day a couple times a day

kevinmack

Re: conditioning for class

You dont want to over think it….a basic shampoo and wash should do the trick. Unless you have split ends or a dry itchy scalp I dont see why it would be needed.

wiccaman

Don’t worry. You can be completely out of shape now but, if you stick at the Krav, within a very short time (a few months) you’ll be looking on Youtube for Navy SEAL training tips to get a more intense work out.

What I would say is, no matter how horrible the first few conditioning sessions seem to be, stick at it. When I first started KM (ah, so long ago now) I honestly thought I just wouldn’t be able to do it. I felt like I was going to die.

Now over a decade later I’m a 45 yo lawyer (so the most exercise I get through work is standing up in court) but I’m probably fitter than most of my 20 something mates; even though they purport to do soccer, squash, gym routines etc. Heck, one of my training buddies is in the forces and he got me doing the All Arms Commando Course tests for a laugh.

Seriously my friend, just stick at it and I guarantee you that within a few months you’ll notice a real difference and by this time next year you won’t recognise your old body.

Oh, and don’t be afraid to puke the first few times; everyone does 🙂

doublestrike

Welcome and congrats on you starting training KM! What helped me was just the old school basics of running, jump rope, shuttle runs, etc. Anything that got my heart rate up for a prolonged period of time.

Once you start training, I would advise you to just immerse yourself and go to as many classes as you can. Nothing substitutes doing the actual training + class workouts. 🙂

Best of luck!

wds2

High intensity interval training/ Tabata Method will help tremendously.

I’ll echo the comments on running and jumping rope and add body weight exercises like push ups and pull ups.

coopster1012

What’s up everyone I went today for my first class and I loved it. I did better than I thought I would. I can’t wait for my next class. When should I lift weights on the days I don’t go or after class? Thank you guys for the advice

wds2

Depends on your fitness level. I wouldn’t advocate lifting an hour or so before class just so you won’t wear yourself out, but I can’t see a reason not to lift the day of class.

coopster1012

I didn’t think it would be a good idea to lift before but after sounds like a good idea

unstpabl1

quote coopster1012:

I didn’t think it would be a good idea to lift before but after sounds like a good idea

Funny most of the guys and girls at my mma gym do the Crossfit class before jits….in your case let the activity condition you…you haven’t really started yet and you want to add all this supplemental training…there is a warmup to your class…mirrior that on off days if you want…practice the combatives…or just take more classes…as you figure out all the things you don’t know weaknesses will become apparent and then you can add training…now your learning krav and establishing the habit which will lead to improved fitness…your way you’ll quit…don’t overcomplicate things…Show up suit up shut up and train…the conditioning and the skill come from showing up and doing the work especially for the beginner

unstpabl1

quote unstpabl1:

Funny most of the guys and girls at my mma gym do the Crossfit class before jits….in your case let the activity condition you…you haven’t really started yet and you want to add all this supplemental training…there is a warmup to your class…mirrior that on off days if you want…practice the combatives…or just take more classes…as you figure out all the things you don’t know weaknesses will become apparent and then you can add training…now your learning krav and establishing the habit which will lead to improved fitness…your way you’ll quit…don’t overcomplicate things…Show up suit up shut up and train…the conditioning and the skill come from showing up and doing the work especially for the beginner

Couldn’t edit..the shut up doesn’t mean don’t ask questions…it means keep your ears open which is hard to do when we’re talking
    :D:

coopster1012

thanks for the advice. I knew what u meant by “shut up”. im not going to workout outside of class for a while just going to let my body get used to the class.

unstpabl1

quote coopster1012:

thanks for the advice. I knew what u meant by “shut up”. im not going to workout outside of class for a while just going to let my body get used to the class.

I was afraid of coming off like the a$% I am :beer:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: