Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Confused Newbie Seeking answers and advice

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    kmac52

Re: Thanks for the advice and encouragment

quote \”AnissaK\:

I went to Gordon’s Self-Defense Academy in Germantown.

I go that same place. Maybe I will see you in class, when work doesn’t suck the life from me.

The instructors there are great and they let go at your own pace. They will not be in your face like you are in boot camp. Just get past the cardio part and you will be golden.

kravmdjeff

Kmac, do you just do Krav, or do you do BJJ there too?

I’m an instructor at our Columbia location

kmac52

I do both. I thought you were jeff at the germantown location for a minute

anonymous

I was not trying to imply that John and Darren \”don’t get it\”, I just thought it was funny, because it sounded a bit as if Revancha was implying it (although I know and everyone else knows he didn’t mean it that way), so I had some fun with it and turned it around, big deal. Revancha didn’t seem to be offended by it, so what are you complaining about?

All I’m saying is that, since there does seem to be a general agreement that mixing some MMA with KM can be a good thing, that maybe we could add some MMA classes or seminars. Just a suggestion.

Yes, Bas used to teach (twice, then he had to go shoot a movie). Oleg’s class was great. That was several years ago, though. John Marsh is great. Mitch teaches him, but he (John) does not teach himself at the NTC or holds seminars there, so we never get to see him. Jeff and you teaching at the NTC? Great, I would have loved to come, unfortunatly it was only open to instructors, students weren’t told about it. Same with Bas and Amir teaching recently. The complete combat seminars? Sound exciting, but they are not being held in LA.

So, in terms of MMA, there really isn’t that much going on, at least not for the students, so I’m just suggesting to maybe think about adding some more classes. What’s wrong with that? It’s just a suggestion. And no, I’m not asking \”a bunch of people from all over the country\”, I’m just pointing it out, because the subject happened to come up.

As for the Alex Gong and Lee Murray situations, you are right, the whole thing could have been avoided if Alex hadn’t gone after the car and Lee had left the scene of the brawl. And I agree KM could have been beneficial to them in general, but in those particular situations they found themselves in, even knowing KM may not have averted the outcome. So those may not be the clearest examples of how KM would work better in the street than MMA.

kravmdjeff

Ha. If you saw me and Jeff Gordon side by side in real life, you’d realize how funny that is (I’m 6’5” with bright red hair…)

nancypants

Giantkiller: Don’t take this the wrong way, but it’s hard for me to muster up a whole lot of sympathy, seeing as how you get to train at the National Training Center and thus have a heck of a lot more classes, instructors, and opportunities than most of us in other parts of the country could even dream of. I would do just about anything (except relocate, obviously) for the opportunity to train where you train. 🙂

ryan

I’m with nancypants, and I also don’t really agree that KM and MMA should be \”mixing\”. MMA is a good support system, but if your goal is strictly good, self defense, without tons of training time, you don’t need it.

\”So those may not be the clearest examples of how KM would work better in the street than MMA.\”

I think they are the BEST examples. Train like you expect/hope to react.

la-revancha

\”Revancha didn’t seem to be offended by it, so what are you complaining about?\”

Think again. 👿

You planning on taking the BB exam next month?

kurtuan

Nancypants, couldn’t have said it better myself!

Now I’m going to go downtown and complain (ad nauseum) to all the homeless people about the stain I can’t get out of my carpet. I’m sure they’ll be sympathetic….

la-revancha

\”So those may not be the clearest examples of how KM would work better in the street than MMA.\”

This is what I’m talking about. It’s not simply about the techniques and attitude of KM! My first post discussed the fine demarcation b/w RBSD and sport fighting. KM, being the superb integrated system that it is, is only a component of the entire RBSD/RBSP picture. Ryan already mentioned some of the contextual facets of RBSP (the unlikelihood of people like Darren going out running after a deranged motorist or getting into a knife fight in a bar).

This is partially why I’m going to RHEK this weekend (that, and the fine Waffle House cuisine 😯 ).

anonymous

Well, I certainly wasn’t asking for sympathy, I was just wondering, because of the recent six page article in BB that dealt with mixing MMA and KM, if and how this concept will be implemented in class. Because if there is no intention of implementing it, why even go through the trouble of devising a \”complete combat\” system?

If we think some MMA training would be a good idea (as this article suggests), then adding some MMA classes would make sense, or at least to have some seminars at the NTC. As I have said, just a suggestion…

Revancha, sorry carnal, didn’t mean to offend, just having some fun with you… 😉 Perdoname.

On the note of Darren chasing people, this made me think of a story someone at the NTC told me. Unfortunatly, I don’t remember all of the details, but it involved Darren chasing a guy near or at his workplace, who was trying to get away (don’t remember why, does anyone?). Anyway, he ended up tackling him and holding him for police. So if, in that case, the guy had had a gun and had been able to turn before Darren was close enough to defend, maybe he would have been able to shoot him.

While I can’t see Darren as an instigator in a bar fight, it may happen that he is at a bar, a fight breaks out close to him and one person pulls a gun or knife on another, clearly trying to kill that person. I could imagine him trying to go for a third party defense in that situation, trying to save the potential victim. Then maybe the attacker’s friend pulls a gun or knife and he could get hurt before he is able to defend. So, a lot of things can happen, even if you are not looking to put yourself into dangerous situations.

Also, I don’t necessarily agree that all RBSD practicioners are by nature less inclined to get into a fight. Even if you study RBSD, you could still have a temper that could get you in trouble. Or you try to be a good Samaritan and help another person and get hurt in the process. Or you may suffer from over-confidence, assuming that since you know how to defend, you can take more risks in a confrontation.

Just as in that Alex Gong situation. It’s easy to say, don’t go after a guy, who just hit your car and caused hundreds or even thousands of dollars in damage, but if it actually happened to you, wouldn’t you do the same thing? I mean, statistically speaking, what is the likelyhood of the driver having a loaded gun in the car and then being willing to kill you over a traffic accident? It’s always easy to critize after the fact.

Also, the best way, im my opinion, to figure out which system works best in a self-defense situation would be to take an example of an incident where the fight was inevitable (no way to avoid it) and a defense would have been possible. Just to say \”Oh, well, the RBSD practicioner would not have even been in that situation.\” really doesn’t address the issue correctly. The question is: If a defense needs to be made and there is time to make a defense, which system works better, or does a hybrid of both MMA and KM work best?

andre

There is a lot that could be said here, but I won’t bother. With the exception of the fact that that’s why you pay insurance.

ryan

GK, how can you train in KM for so many years and still have no f’ing clue? 😕

anonymous

No f’ing clue about what? Using profanity really won’t help you prove your point, so could you elaborate?

Andre, what if your car wasn’t insured? And you can’t afford to pay for the damage out of your own pocket? And the guy who did it is right there, just a few dozen feet away, stopped at a traffic light? Wouldn’t you go over to at least get a look at the driver so you’ll be able to describe him to the police (or the court, if you need to sue him). I’m not saying start a fight with him, but to confront him in a non-aggressive manner might seem like an option for a lot of people who happen to find themselves in that situation.

I’m not saying whether or not that’s a good or bad thing to do, but I could imagine that plenty of people, having been trained in KM or not, would probably be inclined to do that.

nancypants

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

I’m not saying whether or not that’s a good or bad thing to do, but I could imagine that plenty of people, having been trained in KM or not, would probably be inclined to do that.

There is absolutely zero percent chance that I would even consider that as an option. If I couldn’t get the license plate number from a safe distance, I would call the police and report the incident, but I certainly wouldn’t put myself closer to someone that obviously has a few screws loose. Even if you told me that there was a 1/1,000,000 chance that the person in the other car had a gun, I *still* wouldn’t confront him, even in a \”non-aggressive\” manner. It’s playing russian roulette with your life and quality of life, and that just goes COMPLETELY counter to my natural instincts AND anything that I’ve learned. Choosing whether or not to carry insurance on your car is a completely separate issue – the issue here (to me) is confrontation and when/if it’s appropriate.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: