Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books confussed about Muay thai leg kick.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

I checked out some youtube videos and some experts say that on the low kick to the leg you are “chopping down”. Others say to hit upward arc from ground to leg. Still others say just do it parallel to the ground.

So is it up, down or just paral to ground for leg kick.

I do understand your supposed to really rotate the hip over and finish with a mostly straight leg.

Thanks, I guess the MT experts here can address this best.

kevinmack

Re: confussed about Muay thai leg kick.

actually its all three. The more common is to kick on the horizontal plane. Cutting up is quicker though. The chopping down is more common in the Dutch Muay Thai gyms and is my preference.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

yup what he said. Right tool for the right project.

lions2011

I read one post on sherdog and they said it is best to only do the chopping down kick after you set the guy up with punches. This is due to it being slower. They said the upward kick is much quicker and is better when acted alone.
    Interesting.
    Dutch seem to be the Kickboxing kings next to the Thais I guess.

tomo

Interestingly, my Krav instructor (not Muay Thai admittedly), has us doing upward kicks to the inside of the leg and downward “chopping” to the outside. :dunno:

tomo

quote lions2011:

I read one post on sherdog and they said it is best to only do the chopping down kick after you set the guy up with punches. This is due to it being slower. They said the upward kick is much quicker and is better when acted alone.

This makes alot of sense.

tomo

quote KevinMack:

actually its all three. The more common is to kick on the horizontal plane. Cutting up is quicker though. The chopping down is more common in the Dutch Muay Thai gyms and is my preference.

Rather effective for breaking the leg down when delivered properly, I’ve noticed.

With an upwards inside kick you have to be careful your opponent doesn’t turn the knee in otherwise your foot meets their shin and their shin usually wins. That little turn in motion is the default move we teach for inside kicks…but it is a fast kick.

tzrider

quote TomO:

Interestingly, my Krav instructor (not Muay Thai admittedly), has us doing upward kicks to the inside of the leg and downward “chopping” to the outside. :dunno:

Makes sense if the target is the thigh. You’d want to hit it at a right angle, rather than a glancing blow, and the approach you describe would accomplish that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: