Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Consequences……Ripples on the Pond

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jjbklb

After reading the great posts on the bullying thread,I got to thinking about how seemingly small actions on our part may have far ranging effects.
    I hope the younger people cruising this site stop & think about what I’m trying to say.

For the bully,regardless of age,who with his/her companions decides to pick on a schoolmate , fellow worker,or bar patron.What could result from your foolish actions.

Just suppose-
    You & your friends are at a park & ‘for fun’ decide to push someone around or rough them up.
    -he/she only has to get far enough away to use a cell phone.Two hours later you’re in jail being ‘butt-buddies’ with your new cellmate.
    -he/she may not be as defenseless as you think.If they feel that facing multiple attackers justifies a mortal threat,they may use fatal force to respond.
    -you beat up a fellow student/worker.Their family may not feel the schools/job-site discipline was enough.They could institute civil action stripping you & your family of your life’s’ savings.They may even be well enough off financially that they’d be willing to spend 10 dollars in legal fees for every dollar it would cost you.
    -The bad mark on your school/work record could keep you from officers school in the service or a law-enforcement/government job.

Remember the analogy of how a pebble dropped into a pond can cause ripples that go far beyond what you can see.So can a good/bad action continue to effect the lives of people years after the fact.

We’ve all read articles about someones small kind action/words maybe stopped a persons thoughts of suicide.If we could only see what effect our words/actions will have ‘down the line’.

just suppose-

the physical/emotional trauma you did-
    -when you cursed out that guy in the car,he goes home & loses his temper with his family & strikes them.
    -the kid you bullied was effected enough that he/she took a different path in life….
    grew up to abuse his kids,and their child never went on to develop the next medical/technological miracle that would have benefited millions.
    -or you’re at school at your desk,looking up & smirking at the classmate you’ve been picking on the past month & he/she decides to slam a pen through your eye socket.

just suppose-

at judgment day,we are held responsible not just for the good/bad deeds we did,but also for the actions/events that eventually occurred as a consequence.

If you don’t believe in the afterlife,maybe you believe in Karma
    What goes around,comes around”.

just suppose-
    -that boy/girl you pick on grows up to own the company you’re employed in .
    -the abused co-worker snaps & comes into work one-day to empty a pistol into the office staff before taking their own life.

Just suppose-
    a calamity has befallen you or your family.
    Your fists are raised to the heavens as you scream…
    “WHY ME…WHY MY CHILD…..WHAT DID I EVER DO TO DESERVE THIS!!!….”

(…ripples on the pond…..)

When that happens,maybe that’s when you should stop….take a moment…..listen quietly…..

You might hear a small voice from a dark corner of your subconscious say..

“Because………

I’m just saying..

..just suppose…

Re: Consequences……Ripples on the Pond

This is a great thread, I hope that more people take part in it. I was a brash and impetuous youth, and while never a bully, I did things that as an adult, I am not proud of. One of those things that I did (that will get a smile out of those of you that follow MMA) was to go a little strong on this goofy kid at wrestling practice. That kid’s name was (is) Keith Jardine… I hope that if I ever run in to him, he only remembers the good stuff……..

miche

Very nice train of thought, thank you for sharing it.

And Mr. Stafford you were an impetuous youth? As an avid reader of this forum and your posts, who would have guessed that?

blindfold

Well let’s share.

I was about 17 years old and I was with my girlfriend shooting pool at a pool tournament, just for fun. A person that I had known and really didn’t care for decided to flirt/make very sexual comments to my girlfriend. I asked him why he would do that and he got real cocky in front of his boys. I punched him, he lost his balance and put all of his weight on his one leg. I then round kicked the knee. The knee was blown apart. He was in the hospital and therapy for about a year or more.

I am about 20 and this same guy(as above). This guy comes to my friends house and starts talking about all that he is going to do to me. I get a phone call from a friend and he is trying to get me to go over there. I blow it all off and hang up. This guy shows up at my house, intending to start things up. I walk out the door and explain that I didn’t want this and that he needed to leave. He friends kept pushing him and as I went to go back into my house he swung. I hit him and the end result is him shifting his weight off of his bad knee and onto the good knee. I smashed the good knee.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago. I see this guy. I am out eating with the family. My son makes a comment about the guy who is walking with 2 canes behind me. My wife knows the whole thing and knows who he is. He is with his family and his 2 children. I turn around to see who it is and he notices me and leaves, right away.

Since that day, I think about it every so often. He can’t play football with his son or daughter. He can walk his daughter down the aisle. He can’t do alot of things and alot of it is my fault.

One thing I did learn from that whole experience was that it was very easy to hurt someone and how hard it was to fix what was broken. After the second incident I went to the Red Cross to become a First Responder and I have spent alot of time teaching my kids not to do those sort of things becaue you never know what might happen in the future.

Well that was fun.

kpalena

Lets just say I have A LOT of reperations to make.

kmcat

quote blindfold:

… Since that day, I think about it every so often. …

Not that I condone hurting anyone, but it is also possible that this could have also cut the other way.

If this fellow has such a quick temper, his encounters with you may have took enough of that out of him to steer him away from some other encounter that would have left him dead.

blindfold

I’ve thought about that before and the wife has brought it up as well.

At the time he was taking martial arts and figured he could conquer the world. My wife always commented that he could conquer anything in his world. His brother and I were friends and worked together after all of this took place.

Sometimes humility is a hard lesson to learn. I know believe me.

bracius

My grandfather told me that the best way to mind your own business and live a happy life is to keep you pe*ker in your pants.

Basically meaning not to sleep around and don’t go after another man’s woman. Don’t mistake a civilized society to mean that every man is a pacifist and you can do what ever you want. You’re going to find someone real quick that is not going to tolerate your lip and will take out your knee.

Double stupid is trying to find this guy for a follow up fight. If you got your lickings then take it like a man. Rematches are for Boxing and wrestling.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: