Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Counter attacking a straight right punch. Head or Stomach????

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    spirit

Hi all I’m new to Krav Maga & confused lol When defending a straight right punch, do you counterattack with a punch to the head or to the stomach???

Confused.

oldkmdude

Re: Counter attacking a straight right punch. Head or Stomach????

Groin. Always groin.

kmky

depends on where my best option is – there is no hard and fast rule that says “you must always counter to the …” 1) do the inside defense, 2) counter to the target that provides the highest value with the least amount of risk.

connorb

Right cross high(chin), Left hook low(liver), right kick low(Krav it to the groin…if they’re still standing)After that, if they’re still standing…run like heck.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote KMKY:

depends on where my best option is – there is no hard and fast rule that says “you must always counter to the …” 1) do the inside defense, 2) counter to the target that provides the highest value with the least amount of risk.

I agree, it depends on the target of opportunity.

tzrider

quote CJs Dad:

I agree, it depends on the target of opportunity.

I think it also may depend on the relative size and strength of the attacker and defender. An instructor at a recent class made the point that punching to the lower abdomen when countering a right tended to move the attacker’s hips back and make it harder for him to move as you follow up. A fair point, though one small woman in class questioned whether she could hit a big guy hard enough to make that work. That was also a fair point; in her case, she should be hitting the most vulnerable thing she could reach.

It depends on what is open …I personally aim for the head so that way I can easily latch on for knee strikes , groin kicks .

I think you would be better off with a palm heel strike to the face rather than a cross to the chin.

If your hand isn’t conditioned you shouldn’t punch hard on hard unless you want to break or cut something…

kevinmack

If you are defending a righ cross with an inside defense than the best bet is the stomach due to the distance your arm needs to travel plus you would be redirecting his right in to your counterpunch if you aimed for the head. Two objects cant occupy the same space at the same time.

lions2011

Head is a far better target than stomach. The only time I ever got to the stomach is with big knee strikes. Also Thai round kicks are great to the sides of the body.

quote lions2011:

Head is a far better target than stomach. The only time I ever got to the stomach is with big knee strikes. Also Thai round kicks are great to the sides of the body.

I disagree. If the head is protected, why attack a strong point? Death by a thousand cuts is still death in the end.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: