Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Crazy monkey jab defense and slab

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Found these links on another forum, they looked interesting:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LzTM1O0v00o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=njPgVLPTWZk&mode=related&search=

Has anyone heard of the teacher, Rodney King (no, not the riot guy! 8) )

There are many more videos of him, but I’ve only seen these two so far. The slab is more of a loose hand strike as oposed to the rigid hand palm strike we usually use.

The defense looks interesting, too, he basically deflects the jab with his forearm.

What do you think?

garddawg

Yes. The stuff is solid, if you are in an unarmed confrontation. We teach it to our kids, and have had several use it at school. The best part of that is that the kids who are throwing the punches end up hurting their hands. Great way to de-fang the snake.

kmcat

Re: Crazy monkey jab defense and slab

quote \”Giantkiller\:

There are many more videos of him, but I’ve only seen these two so far. The slab is more of a loose hand strike as oposed to the rigid hand palm strike we usually use.

The defense looks interesting, too, he basically deflects the jab with his forearm.

What do you think?

Looked interesting.

Today in our fitness class at noon one of the exercises to do during the circuit was to punch a heavy bag and throw some hooks, our instructor advised that if we were not wearing gloves for the class to use palm strikes. The hook punch he demonstrated looked kind of like this Rodney K. \”slap\”.

The forearm defense looked effective and he was not lowering his hands, even when he steps out of range his hands were going down only to the standard hands in front of the face position.

Two critiques I can think of: 1) It would tend to block your vision, especially perhaps for a second attacker. 2) Your hands are not in a good postion to effect a 360 defense if required.

I also thought his stance was very Krav Maga like.

garddawg

With Crazy Monkey, the hands never leave the head even for roundhouse punches or hooks. The real weakness is against a knife.

emil

I agree with garddawg, cm is good stuff. especially for sparring/mma. As for vision, if you do it right, vision shouldn’t be too affected. His DVDs are well made and full of good info. However, even Rodney says that this assumes that the attacker’s unarmed. If you’re struggling with striking in sparring this gives a good foundation to build from.

clfmak

Rodney King’s stuff is good. Regarding weapons, its interesting to note that the same blocking structure is seen in kali. This is notable because these are systems based around weapons, and when you take away those weapons the motion is almost the same with the empty hand (generic example: a downward forehand stick attack becomes a hammerfist along the same line). With a stick, the block is used to set up an immediate stick strike from a backhand angle (not always a regular slashing looking strike but a kind of tapping motion called an abanico: if it were a sword it would hit with the flat not the edge). The other hand is used to guide the opponent’s overhead strike into the stick. The incoming strike kind of sends you right into the strike. When you consider these systems are not designed to teach stickfighting but in fact bolo fighting, this motion can also be used to shred the opponent’s forearm with the edge of a long knife.
    If you look at the trailer for the reverse grip methods video at http://www.shivworks.com you’ll notice a similar block is utilized (the other arm is extended forward, as generally in filipino martial arts a closing motion is accompanied by a grabbing of the attacking weapon hand). In the case of a small reverse grip knife, the block will set you up for a quick downward stabbing motion, and the subclavian will be momentarily exposed on the same side because of the extended arm. So it can function with weapons, but I understand what you mean about a knife being able to defeat a block like that. If you do it right you should move in close enough that if its a big roundhouse knife motion you will be inside the tip and you might be okay.

anonymous

Okay, meanwhile I found the guy’s website:

http://www.mymalife.com

Looks weird, more like a self-help program with some self-defense/boxing thrown in. All of his listed credentials are about yoga, nutrition, psychology, weight loss etc, none about martial arts.

As for self-defense, it says somewhere that his approach is to give people confidence, because people who are confident are less likely to be attacked. While there may be some truth to it, I’m not sure if that’s the best primary approach to SD.

Also, looks like that defensive posture, with both of his arms against his head is pretty much the main part of his defensive system. I thought from the clip it may be just one of many things.

So, I’m not sure.

cody

Rodney’s approach to defense is extremely effective. I started working Crazy Monkey around the begging of this year, and Considering that my stand up was pretty good to start, having fought since i was 9 and trained with several big names out of Fairtex Muay Thai in SF, my game has gotten alot tighter.

His approach to the game, and education in sports physcology added a whole different light to my training in the martial arts.

The nicest thing about the way the defense is done is that you rarely get hit derectly and i mean rarely, of course this is assuming that you have the defense down fairly well.

-Giant Killer you mentioned something along the lines of him seeming to be more of a self help coach rather then a martial arts coach. Yes and No. Rodney is huge on bettering your life and those who you coach, through martial arts. Which in my opinion puts him above alot of others. By far Rodney is the best stand up coach i have ever had.

Check out his website and go to the forum there is alot of info there about the system.

anonymous

Is Winky Wright’s defensive boxing style something similar to what he is teaching? Winky seems to have his hands up against his face a lot.

bradm

Kind of reminds me of Ali’s \”rope a dope\” in his latter years. 😆

garddawg

Archie Moore

unstpabl1

It always reminded me of Tyson under Cus Damato, I like Kings stuff. South Africa is a very dangerous place, big knife culture in the slums. It’s interesting in terms of SD to look at whats coming out of there because there are people documenting it for training. AMOK has a big branch there,King and there is knife tatics from there called piper.
    mike

clfmak
    quote :

It always reminded me of Tyson under Cus Damato, I like Kings stuff. South Africa is a very dangerous place, big knife culture in the slums. It’s interesting in terms of SD to look at whats coming out of there because there are people documenting it for training. AMOK has a big branch there,King and there is knife tatics from there called piper.
    mike

My old boss was from South Africa, and his brother was stabbed 17 times in one incident. He went on to become a champion kickboxer.

cody

Ya he is from Joehanasburg (i dont know how to spell it) which is supposed to be one of the roughest cities in South Africa. It’s funny because Rodney says that he dosen’t get in fights any more there. He credits this towards how he holds himself, not like a cocky bastard but cool and confident. Kinda cool considering the area that he is using this method.

la-revancha

I also support CM and use it regularly when I spar.

You can see Rodney’s penchant for liver shots in the Sparring 101 DVD.

Sr. Cody:

Herb Jr.? It’s Christian from the legendary \”Wig\” campaign of Phase C, back in the day.

Email me:

[email protected]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: