Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Cross training in Kung Fu

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    theduke

I’ve been debating in cross training in a more traditional style (shaolin kung fu). Any comments if it would be an issue with KM training?

Re: Cross training in Kung Fu

I had trained several years in two kung fu styles before beginning KM training. There’s not a lot of overlap. I wouldn’t say it would hurt to cross-train but I believe the advantages would be limited.

What is your reason for cross training. Are you looking for meditational value, overall physical fitness, or just to add to your tool belt?

Not that Kung fu would be better or worse than other art, but when asking should I do something I generally ask what is the goal why would I want to do this?

theduke

While what I love most about KM is how practical it is, I have wanted to train in kung fu to attempt to learn techniques that I’m otherwise not used too.

I also am getting a deep discount from a friend, so it’s a little hard to resist.

hm2pac

I love Krav.
    Currently I am also training in TaeKwonDo.
    KungFu will always be my first love.

The way I see it, Krav is the most practical, but a good student should always be able to learn something from any discipline of Martial Arts out there.

TKD is obviously heavy in the kicking department. Accordingly when I am kicking a pad I make sure that my partner feels it whether it is the first kick, or the 100th kick.

KungFu, especially one heavy in Chin-Na, (Joint Locks), can be very enhancing to a persons arsenal.

Never hurts to try something new.

Me I cross train in Muay Thai which I think is an excellent compliment to Krav Maga training.
    Yes there is a massive overlap as no major differences in the basic strikes.

I like Muay Thai as the perfect cross training system to Krav Maga because MT pad work done full power full speed is amazing for extra training to improve your basic strikes plus it develops your toughness, speed, power, and is an amazing workout too.

Really never can do enough training for basic strikes.

xoek

the specific techniques might not tranfer over, but you get good conditioning and great functional strenth/flexibility training.

for example the serving tea cups drill, might not be usable on the street, but creates tremendous flexibility through the range of motion for the shoulders, chest, upper back, and core, and that’s never bad.

theduke

It’s been a great compliment so far. KM being my first martial art, has really gotten me into wanting to study other styles. I must say I’ve got a great teacher in KM and sets the bar pretty high for other schools I’ve tried.

clfmak

I have several years (9) of experience with choy li fut kung fu, and honestly if you were just interested in self defense/fighting, Iíd recommend krav maga. Kung fu has a tendency towards certain things that I dislike:
    1. Focus on forms- most (but not all) kung fu schools will teach you form after form, but a form is supposed to be like an encyclopedia of movement, not a training method and definitely not a competition method. Long sequences of predetermined menacing movements performed by yourself doesnít prepare you to deal with usually short, unchoreographed violence.
    2. Exaggeration of movement- a number of styles (choy li fut, hung gar etc) teach exaggerated versions of fighting concepts. For example, itís a good idea to keep your knees bent, but theyíll teach you to bend your knees as much as possible and get as low as possible to the ground. This element of footwork is something that Iíve been reteaching myself in favor of mobility.
    3. Tradition as king- a lot of kung fu people will not crosstrain because of old stylistic reasons, and because of this they often think that their way is the best and others are wrong. This is a sure way to limit your learning, and since you already do krav maga I would avoid any places like this.

If you find a good kung fu place, definitely consider it, but itís an art with little consistency or quality control so you can only judge it on a school by school basis. If you like it and you find it challenging and rewarding, stick with it for those reasons (thatís why I do systema now)

theduke

Yea definitely not as practical. But thanks for the info. I actually have been enjoying the training. So far I’ve been enjoying trying to learn the various techniques. I also like the challenge of the fancy kicks and flexibility it’s been presenting me.

Wish there were more practical kung fu near me though. I know a friend who does praying mantis boxing and raves about it.

hm2pac

Praying Mantis is pretty esoteric. Fun to watch, and I’m sure fun to work with though.

If you can find a Jeet Kun Do school near where you live you may find it appealing.

JKD was Bruce Lee’s evolution of Wing Chun Kung Fu. He made things more adaptable and easier to apply to a real world fighting situation. Basically, he took Kung Fu back to it’s originations and got rid of the gloss and dance that had crept in.

Another traditional martial arts to look at would be Hapkido. It’s a Korean MA that has roots in KungFu. Wonderfully violent. Very explosive.

theduke

quote HM2PAC:

If you can find a Jeet Kun Do school near where you live you may find it appealing.

JKD was Bruce Lee’s evolution of Wing Chun Kung Fu. He made things more adaptable and easier to apply to a real world fighting situation. Basically, he took Kung Fu back to it’s originations and got rid of the gloss and dance that had crept in.

There is this guy by me who teaches JKD, but I’m always skeptical if some of them are actually doing authentic JKD. He claimed to be trained by one of Bruce Lee’s students, but I don’t know if that means a few seminars or actual training. But I’d love to do JKD too.

hm2pac

quote TheDuke:

There is this guy by me who teaches JKD, but I’m always skeptical if some of them are actually doing authentic JKD. He claimed to be trained by one of Bruce Lee’s students, but I don’t know if that means a few seminars or actual training. But I’d love to do JKD too.

Only one way to find out….

theduke

Yea your right. I definitely will ask him

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: