Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tadpole25

I know that Dan 8 is the master rank of Krav Maga.

I know a person who is 23, who claims to have been practicing Krav Maga since age 12. I hear he reached Dan 8 and he now works as an assistant instructor, as well as a part-time private instructor. To be fair, he is very dedicated, smart and physically strong, but I still have my doubts (he could be lying, or he could have been given lienient training).

While I can’t expect you to be able to make judgment on a person who you don’t know, I ask how likely is it that a person can master a martial art like Krav Maga in 10 years and at the young age of 23? What would doing so entail?

bear34

Re: Dan 8 – question

quote tadpole25:

I know a person who is 23, who claims to have been practicing Krav Maga since age 12. I hear he reached Dan 8 and he now works as an assistant instructor, as well as a part-time private instructor. To be fair, he is very dedicated, smart and physically strong, but I still have my doubts (he could be lying, or he could have been given lienient training).

While I can’t expect you to be able to make judgment on a person who you don’t know, I ask how likely is it that a person can master a martial art like Krav Maga in 10 years and at the young age of 23? What would doing so entail?

Is his last name Gidon?

kevinmack

He is lying.

tadpole25

quote KevinMack:

He is lying.

I have that suspicion as well, but how sure are you? 100%?

Total fraud. Take Kevin’s word, Kevin has more in depth personal knowledge of true Krav lineage than anyone else in the United States. As an added plus, he has no major affiliation and no agenda.

rickprado

quote tadpole25:

Is his last name Gidon? Lol! Funny and right to the point. Haim Gidon is 65 plus years old and holds an 8th dan, how can a 23 year old be? Ohad Gidon is maybe 30, has been studying his entire life and isn’t an 8th dan.

Additionally, if he were an 8th dan, why would he be an assistant instuctor under anyone. He would have people working for him don’t you think?

kevinmack

He is an obvious fake as there are literally a handful of KM students instructors over 5th dan. So a 23 yr old stands out.
    The highest ranked instructors in the United States are probably:
    -Darren Levine 6th dan (KMW)
    -Alan Feldman 3rd dan
    -Rhon Mizrachi 5th dan (KMF)
    -John Whitman 4th dan (KMA)
    -Peter Muldoon 3rd dan (KMF)
    -Amir Perets 4th dan (KMW)
    -David Kahn 2nd dan (IKMA)
    -Rick Blitstein 1st dan (IKMA)

I think there are some more KMW3rd and 4th dans. Not sure of the ranks of Jarret,Sam Sade or Kelly Campbell.

I think the whole thing with higher ranks in Krav Maga is a ****ty situation. Some of the people listed above should be ranked higher due to the length of time they have been teaching and training KM. There are also a number of old school KM guys that have been stuck at their ranks since the 80s as well as others who probably will never advance in rank. This is due to politics,ego,squatting on on higher ranks or allegiance to their instructors or organization. High belt ranks in Krav Maga are not handed down by God or holy,sacred positions of power. It is a rank or title that matches that persons skill,time in and experience in the system of Krav Maga created by Imi Lichtenfeld. There is no reason why Darren Levine shouldnt be an 8th dan after teaching KM for over 30 years or John Whitman who has stayed at 4th dan since over ten years,or Alan and Rick,etc,etc.
    The frauds have no problem promoting themselves to high ranks so I think its time for the KM world at large to recognize other peoples achievments whether or not they are in business with them. They also need to allow other 5th,6th,7th and 8th dans to join their ranks. It can only benefit the art.
    Medicine is a billion dollar business. There are tons of Doctors and medical schools in this country. How would the medical field survive if doctors refused to recognize the degrees and skills of other doctors that they didnt have a business relationship with? Its called professional courtesy. There is room for everyone to teach good Krav Maga. We dont have to like each other but we should at least respect each other. Otherwise these fake 8th dans and grandmasters who are selling instructorships will prosper.

kevinmack

I should also add..that at this point I am not against certain people promoting themselves as long as it is done out of honesty and respect. Not for ego or business reasons. You can tell this right away when someone starts a new organization,promotes themselves to a hign rank and then promotoes their top guys to high ranks all in the same day and then start selling affiliations. Thats shady. But if KMW promoted Darren to 8th dan..I would accept it. Cause he has proper lineage,skill and time in the system. The same goes for John Whitman if KMA decided to promote him to 5th or 6th dan or Alan Feldman(my instructor) or Rick Blitstein. All these guys deserve ranks higher than the ones they have.
    Things are changing. The KM world has changed. Those in the know need to make sure that others in Imi’s family are respected because people will just believe what they want to believe and people will always try to lie and manipulate as we saw in Moni Issacs case.

“So that one may walk in peace……..”

lennykravitz

Agree with your posts 100%!

Maybe there should be a ‘commission’ style meeting to decide these matters (getting the heads of each legit system in a room to work out these issues).

Pie in the sky stuff really, but one can hope.

rickprado

quote KevinMack:

He is an obvious fake as there are literally a handful of KM students instructors over 5th dan. So a 23 yr old stands out.
    The highest ranked instructors in the United States are probably:
    -Darren Levine 6th dan (KMW)
    -Alan Feldman 3rd dan
    -Rhon Mizrachi 5th dan (KMF)
    -John Whitman 4th dan (KMA)
    -Peter Muldoon 3rd dan (KMF)
    -Amir Perets 4th dan (KMW)
    -David Kahn 2nd dan (IKMA)
    -Rick Blitstein 1st dan (IKMA)

I think there are some more KMW3rd and 4th dans. Not sure of the ranks of Jarret,Sam Sade or Kelly Campbell.

I think the whole thing with higher ranks in Krav Maga is a ****ty situation. Some of the people listed above should be ranked higher due to the length of time they have been teaching and training KM. There are also a number of old school KM guys that have been stuck at their ranks since the 80s as well as others who probably will never advance in rank. This is due to politics,ego,squatting on on higher ranks or allegiance to their instructors or organization. High belt ranks in Krav Maga are not handed down by God or holy,sacred positions of power. It is a rank or title that matches that persons skill,time in and experience in the system of Krav Maga created by Imi Lichtenfeld. There is no reason why Darren Levine shouldnt be an 8th dan after teaching KM for over 30 years or John Whitman who has stayed at 4th dan since over ten years,or Alan and Rick,etc,etc.
    The frauds have no problem promoting themselves to high ranks so I think its time for the KM world at large to recognize other peoples achievments whether or not they are in business with them. They also need to allow other 5th,6th,7th and 8th dans to join their ranks. It can only benefit the art.
    Medicine is a billion dollar business. There are tons of Doctors and medical schools in this country. How would the medical field survive if doctors refused to recognize the degrees and skills of other doctors that they didnt have a business relationship with? Its called professional courtesy. There is room for everyone to teach good Krav Maga. We dont have to like each other but we should at least respect each other. Otherwise these fake 8th dans and grandmasters who are selling instructorships will prosper.

Excellent!:beer:

There is tons of Ass-hattery going on in the Krav world right now…. Multiple ass clowns claiming to be 8-10 Dan until you find out its a self gifted rank in their own, made up system. Now especially, it’s buyer beware. when I first got into the system in 2001, I didn’t think lineage was a big deal, now I do.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Jeremy Stafford:

There is tons of Ass-hattery going on in the Krav world right now…. Multiple ass clowns claiming to be 8-10 Dan until you find out its a self gifted rank in their own, made up system. Now especially, it’s buyer beware. when I first got into the system in 2001, I didn’t think lineage was a big deal, now I do.

Agree 100%

Trying to remember your quote about one of them, how’d it go?
    “he was a taxi driver in Israel who gave Imi a ride once now he’s a Grandmaster”

mara-jade

Well said folks – good to know we’ve got members here to help clear up this kind of stuff. I wasn’t aware of all these folks’ ranks except for Darren and John:D:

catapult

quote :

But if KMW promoted Darren to 8th dan..I would accept it. Cause he has proper lineage,skill and time in the system. The same goes for John Whitman if KMA decided to promote him to 5th or 6th dan or Alan Feldman(my instructor) or Rick Blitstein. All these guys deserve ranks higher than the ones they have.

Seems like the thing all those guys have in common is they are humble enough and confident enough that they don’t need the belts. They are willing to let their accomplishments speak for themselves.

kmman

I’m stuck at Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler of Krav Maga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: