Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Dealing with bad partners during class??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

Has anybody had a similar experience. Lately there is this little older women in my class( she has no idea what she is doing and somehow passed the level 1 test). The problem is the class is small and it seems that 30 percent of the time I am stuck training with her the entire 1 hour.

Extremely frustrating and I try to be happy during the hour but on the inside I am more miserable than my usual self.:banghead:

I Think I could switch do a different time period when the class is taught to try avoid her.
    I am frustrated.
    Most of the other students are really good friends and they sometimes pick there partners during warm up to avoid her.
    I do not mean to come off a a big JERK. I am a nice guy usually.
    Do not mean to offend anybody just wondering.
    Funny because during class she cannot even do the basic level 1 to even the most simple level. :banghead:

lions2011

Re: Dealing with bad partners during class??

Not such more her tiny size. She is extremely super uncoordinated and seems to have very low intelligence. When people show her something she seems to miss about 90 percent of the content.

Whole experience is driving me :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

mara-jade

Lions,

I would take care in using that phrase ‘having very low intelligence’. I seem to remember a certain someone making all kinds of assumptions about Krav who had barely started himself.;):

You need to look at her side of the fence. Some folks are more coordinated than others and some pick up KM faster than others. No one that I knew of first taking KM Level 1 was smooth to begin with. For some women it can be intimidating being in a class with guys.

Have you even tried talking to the instructor to see if during class he/she can tweak that gal some? Perhaps ask the instructor to help her some during class or see if others can be asked to be her partner.

If you’re not willing to do that, then best to take another class is all I can say.:wav:

bradm

Lions,
    I know what you mean – been there done that when I was training in Krav. I’ve had to deal with partners that no one wanted to train with for similar reasons. Some others in my class felt the same way. We talked with the instructor and he agreed to periodically have everyone switch partners a couple times during the class. That worked well. Everybody got a chance to train with everybody. Have you talked to your instructor about it? If not, give it a try. If he/she is a good instructor he/she will understand and make accomodations.

esquire32

No doubt we all run across partners we gel with more or less than others. The uncoordinated, the ultra aggressive, the overly passive, the one that hasn’t washed there uniform lately, maybe one with a bit of alcohol or pot on the breath ( has happended to me more than once)( and those ones i do stay away from :), etc etc.

I’d say take each one as part of the training cycle. They represent the vast differences in people ( ie attackers) that the world represents. It’s a good time to learn about yourself and your technique through their differences, whether you may personally like them or not. Hate to get all traditional and spiritual sounding, but what better way to deal with your own conflict resolution skills and avoidance than having to be clinched face to face with someone that is frustrating and maybe not your favorite person. A golden oppurtunity to work on some of the mental aspects as well as physical.

It’s also a good oppurtunity to take a bit of a mentor role.

lions2011

Jade- actually are instructor spend a great deal of time with her during class. In fact she gets the most attention. She will start doing the technique better than a week later she has forgotten everything. As for me I have greatly apologized for my silly and immature comments about Bear hugs etc.. lol

I could consider talking to the instructor about switching up partners but some class I train with regular people. This would be last resort thing.

Another solution would be to shift my own personal schedule around to attend a different class at a different time. If i go 4 times a week I could switch around only 2 out of the 4 classes.

I am hoping when the new level 1 students enter the class in a month or so then the pool will be larger and my chances would diminish.

She is very nice and I like her. It is just her super small size and coordination that is causing problems.

lions2011

What is the best way to ask the instructor if i need to.

I am not very good at talking to people it seems. ;): I am not good at finessing things like my Mom is . She is a god at Finessing any situation.

I am not trying to sound anti-women. In fact there are some superb women in are class who are excellent to train with. They just go at different times.

Thanks.

revobuzz

In our class we swap partners a lot. I think that’s great ‘cos you can get used to one person and are doing fine and then find the same technique doessn’t work in the same way on your next partner so you have to adapt. An important bit of training I think.

Also because of that you don’t mind if you get a ‘bad’ partner as you know it will only be for a short while and you don’t mind giving someone a bit of extra help.

However you appear to spending the whole class with same partner, so I would mention it to your instructor.

lions2011

I am going to switch up my classes starting well tomorrow. I got stuck with her again the other day and was miserable. Still I learned some new things from the instructor.

I will simply move my schedule around and start attending a different time class to avoid her. I can switch around 3 out of my 4 classes only.

Maybe I should talk to the instructor too but for now i am going to change up classes and somebody else can deal with her rofl2rofl2

i hope I do not sound like a jerk.

kmman

Lions maybe you keep getting stuck with her because no one wants to partner up with you. Does it seem odd no one is tapping YOU on the shoulder to partner up?

May the person you are talking about is going to the instructor to ask about YOU.

lions2011

thanks Kman. That is not the case. The problem is that when I entered level 2-3 a few months ago most of the people have been training with each other several months before I was there.
    There are about 6 guys who seem like very good friends that always pick each other. I know my skill level is as good as there is. The instructor said when I passed level 1 my scores were one of the highest in the class. There are 2 guys in the class who are way way better than me so that I can understand.
    I am going to switch to a different time and avoid her.

What I do not understand is why they passed her by level 1. She cannot even do a proper pluck or even throw a basic straight punch let alone anything else. IT is almost comical to say the least. I am very critical of myself which is why I stayed in level 1 for almost a year. She tested out of level after 3 months which should of not been allowed.
    Thanks for the compliment. I am sure you know have been in a similar situation.

lions2011

Kman, there are a few guys who seem to pick me as there partner but it seems the last month they have disappeared from class.
    Also the other girls are no longer there so we have this one lone older tiny women.

Sucks I have to change my schedule now to avoid her. Oh well it is better than not training I guess.

I wish you could see her. You would understand .

tzrider

Maybe switching times is the best option. However you approach it, I don’t think it’s inappropriate for you to want to train with others who are a better match at least some of the time.

If you regularly train with a much smaller, weaker partner, it places real limits on how forcefully you can execute a technique. You also miss out on experiencing real resistance during choke defenses and the suchlike. Surely an instructor will understand this. He may not make accommodations if you don’t ask, but I think asking for a rotation is completely appropriate and something that should be good for everybody.

Having a variety of training partners is a good thing. Apart from size issues, every individual has differences in timing, initiating movement and so on. The more variety you experience, the better generalized your skills become.

lions2011

Ok sorry to bother people about my problems. I will try a different time and hope for the best.
    thanks for listening.

kmman

A good instructor should notice this and make partners switch for everyones benefit. Its only normal for friends to partner but instructors need to push everyone out of the comfort zone. Plus you need different people.

You getting stuck with the same partner, even if excellent, is not a good idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: