Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Debating on Krav Maga

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    leo1

Hi there. Let me introduce myself.. I’m a 20 year old from San Jose, California. I’ve been wanting to go back into martial arts for a very long time.. mainly because I don’t feel confident in my fighting skills even though I’ve been in a physical conflict in a very long time. I heard that Krav Maga is one of the most efficient self-defense fighting style, so I’ve decided to learn it.

But, really I’m kind of clueless on what to expect. I’ve been taking martial arts quite a bit as a kid, but I’ve only learned from money grubbing and unmotivated teachers. I really want to get into Krav Maga as well as a few others.. Muay Thai and BJJ… I’ve considered going to the police force and the USMC. I just really want to be able to defend myself and others.

What are somethings I should know about Krav Maga before learning it? Is there a belt system.. how do I know whether I’m learning on a teaching system that is efficient. When do I’m ready to defend myself so I don’t have to give in to a simple crime against me?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    -Leo

stevetuna

Re: Debating on Krav Maga

Welcome, Leo1. Sounds like you’re in the right place!

Krav Maga is a fighting system that will teach you to be able to defend yourself relatively quickly. The philosophy of Krav Maga starts with addressing the immediate danger and counter-attacking as soon as possible. We train to go from 0 to 100 in an instant. We train to be aggressive and to turn the tables on the attacker.

Krav Maga is reality based. The techniques are effective, not pretty. We build some level of stress into our drills so that someone trained in KM will break through that “Oh no” moment of disbelief when something bad begins to unfold.

Krav Maga instructors will strive to keep things dynamic and realistic. You will be pushed past your pre-set physical limitations. When class is over, you should be drained but excited for your next class. Your levels of fighting ability, confidence and physical conditioning will improve rapidly!

Check out a class. Many schools will let you watch or participate in a free class so that you can experience what Krav Maga is all about. It’s not for everyone. As has been previously stated on this forum, “Krav Maga ain’t scrapbooking!” Enjoy, and let us know about your experiences!

kior

quote Leo1:

What are somethings I should know about Krav Maga before learning it? Is there a belt system.. how do I know whether I’m learning on a teaching system that is efficient.

Hi Leo. For KMWW there is a belt system to measure progress

quote Leo1:

When do I’m ready to defend myself so I don’t have to give in to a simple crime against me?

Really depends on what crime you’re talking about. Krav will start you with the basics and teach you to defend against the simpler and more common forms of attack. As you progress the situations you can deal with will become more difficult and complex.

You’ll probably find muai thai and BJJ a good complement to krav but studying all three at the same time could be tough. I know many instructors that have studied these arts to enhance their overall fighting skills.

peterako

I think a great way to put it that someone previously told me is this: after every lesson you will come away from the lesson with something concrete. You will have learned something that is immediately useful. This allows you to better defend yourself were you put in a position of danger.

I have been taking Krav only for about two and a half weeks, but the style feels so natural to the body’s response system. Krav Maga focuses on tangible things, the things that come reflexively but powerfully, which is what makes it so effective.

I have been keeping a log of nearly everything I learn after every lesson, so if you are unsure about the specific things you would be learning, perhaps I could give you an idea.

unstpabl1

you can see the physical system in the book The Complete Krav Maga. It will show you the techs of the system. Its only part of this as its concept driven and as such focuses on attribute training. Physical, mental and emotional.

You’ll wind up in shape….healthy…the 1st line of self defense and fundamentally sound

greenbeanie

quote Leo1:

I really want to get into Krav Maga as well as a few others.. Muay Thai and BJJ…

As Kior has suggested, Muay Thai will complement Krav Maga’s striking combatives and BJJ will complement Krav Maga’s ground fighting. However, don’t confuse those two sports-oriented martial arts with a reality-based fighting system like Krav Maga. You’d be comparing apples to oranges. Krav Maga means contact combat not contact sports.

quote Leo1:

I’ve considered going to the police force and the USMC. I just really want to be able to defend myself and others.

What are somethings I should know about Krav Maga before learning it? Is there a belt system.. how do I know whether I’m learning on a teaching system that is efficient.

You can be confident in knowing KM is used in ‘real life’ situations by persons whose lives may depend on it – including civilians, military and law enforcement personnel.

An example is the Israeli counterterrorism unit Sayeret Duvdevan who frequently carry out absurdly high-risk covert arrest / snatch & grab operations in hostile territory where everyone is out to kill them once their cover is blown … these guys train in KM intensively as one of their primary close quarter fighting / defence skills.

quote stevetuna:

Welcome, Leo1. Sounds like you’re in the right place!

Krav Maga is a fighting system that will teach you to be able to defend yourself relatively quickly. The philosophy of Krav Maga starts with addressing the immediate danger and counter-attacking as soon as possible. We train to go from 0 to 100 in an instant. We train to be aggressive and to turn the tables on the attacker.

Krav Maga is reality based. The techniques are effective, not pretty. We build some level of stress into our drills so that someone trained in KM will break through that “Oh no” moment of disbelief when something bad begins to unfold.

Krav Maga instructors will strive to keep things dynamic and realistic. You will be pushed past your pre-set physical limitations. When class is over, you should be drained but excited for your next class. Your levels of fighting ability, confidence and physical conditioning will improve rapidly!

Check out a class. Many schools will let you watch or participate in a free class so that you can experience what Krav Maga is all about. It’s not for everyone. As has been previously stated on this forum, “Krav Maga ain’t scrapbooking!” Enjoy, and let us know about your experiences!

I agree with Steve 100%, but I’m also very afraid of “WICKED OLD GUY”!!!

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum,

Can’t add much more than what’s already been said. We can stand on our soapbox and say how much it rocks and all that. Only way to know is just try a class. Remember, some posts here are students like me who are paying others for an a$$ whooping and loving every minute of itrofl2. Then again, if I remember correctly, instructors get a worse whooping than we do:D:

Keep an open mind and decide what’s best for you:wav:

saruotoko

quote mara_jade:

Welcome to the forum,

Can’t add much more than what’s already been said. We can stand on our soapbox and say how much it rocks and all that. Only way to know is just try a class. Remember, some posts here are students like me who are paying others for an a$$ whooping and loving every minute of itrofl2. Then again, if I remember correctly, instructors get a worse whooping than we do:D:

Keep an open mind and decide what’s best for you:wav:

You “remembered correctly,” Mara. 😉

pdxvance42

quote Leo1:

I’ve been taking martial arts quite a bit as a kid, but I’ve only learned from money grubbing and unmotivated teachers. -Leo

Amen to that. Besides the fitness, reality-based self-defense, and instinct based techniques, I think it’s the professionalism (and lack of egos) of the instructors as well as the fellow students that’s been the most refreshing!

Check out a trial class. I’m sure you’ll get hooked!

thumbsup

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: