Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Defend against martial artist?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    000sharpie

Is it possible for krav maga to protect against other Martal Arts? Such as karate or kung fu?

giant-killer

Re: Defend against martial artist?

Sure. Just hit the Karate guy in the head with a chair!

olivier-d92

I am sure that others more knowledgeable on the topic will chime in and answer your question more completely. But my interpretation of KM as a system is that it gives you principles and tools such as defenses/counterattacks/strikes that you can use against any unexpected attacks and not only against a predetermined scenario. Based on that, I don’t see why KM couldn’t defend against other MA. Besides as it was pointed out somewhere else on the forum, winning a fight is not only about techniques but also about never giving up.

O.

vwr32

I think any system vs system debate depends a lot on the person. Conditioning, skill level, mindset etc.

000sharpie

quote Olivier:

I am sure that others more knowledgeable on the topic will chime in and answer your question more completely. But my interpretation of KM as a system is that it gives you principles and tools such as defenses/counterattacks/strikes that you can use against any unexpected attacks and not only against a predetermined scenario. Based on that, I don’t see why KM couldn’t defend against other MA. Besides as it was pointed out somewhere else on the forum, winning a fight is not only about techniques but also about never giving up.

O.

thanks I agree

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Olivier:

O.

Well said

quote vwr32:

I think any system vs system debate depends a lot on the person. Conditioning, skill level, mindset etc.

Totally agree

guerriere

Sure. Kick him in the head while he’s taking off his shoes. :p

Seriously, KM doesn’t have any rule but “go home alive” and choreography is subject to improvisation. If someone from some other tradition were to go bad and go on a rampage (something that’s not supposed to happen considering their humility and all that crap) why wouldn’t they just go out and buy an AK-47 and blow everyone away instead of throwing round kicks?

giant-killer

We actually train on some of the more elaborate martial arts kicks, such as spinning heel kick, spinning slap kick and later even jumping spinning heel kick OhMy, just so that we can throw the attack to a partner and he can learn to build his vision and defend against it.

quote 000sharpie:

Is it possible for krav maga to protect against other Martal Arts? Such as karate or kung fu?

Nope, I just run screaming like a little girl and begging for mercy……

blindfold

The screaming is a defensive tactic, the running like a girl and begging for mercy is the offensive part of this technique. The begging brings you in closer and throws them off balance, when you grab the leg, while begging.

The next step is the crying while crawling technique.

quote blindfold:

The next step is the crying while crawling technique.

This works well when combined with absorbing punches until your attacker grows tired and his fists hurt from hitting you.

kpalena

Remember that it is the man (or woman) in the fight…not the art. Some arts have more of a combat mindset than others, but that does not mean that a bb in TKD will always defeat a bb in JKD or Kung fu or Karate or Krav Mage or whatever. The beauty of Krav is that the defences are desigined to work in multiple situtations and against multiple attacks. Many of the people I train with hold high belts in other arts and that influences their techniques. I will say that I do not worry about high spinning kicks anymore…sliding defence anyone?

Heh. One of the main reasons I stopped training in TKD is that every studio I’ve been to advanced kids so that parents would continue to pay $$$ for “training”. I just wanted to work on my weak kicking skills (hey, it’s good for something), but I got so sick of seeing lazy, disrespectful 10 year old black belts with no form and bad attitudes. If you have a black belt in TKD, you should be able to own any orange belt in a sparring match. Just my opinion.

Oops… Was that a rant? Anyways, I would view any diciplined and experienced martial artist as a serious threat. They have speed, power, and good form with their techniques. However, most martial artists are very focused on a “fair” fight. I would say your best bet would be aggression, cheap shots, some ear biting (otherwise known Tyson style), and getting them to the ground and soon as possible. Then again, most serious martial artists I know are very diciplined and peaceful. I don’t think you would have anything to wory about unless some Shaolin monks joined up with Al Qaeda.

kmdad

quote downforlife76:

Heh. One of the main reasons I stopped training in TKD is that every studio I’ve been to advanced kids so that parents would continue to pay $$$ for “training”. I just wanted to work on my weak kicking skills (hey, it’s good for something), but I got so sick of seeing lazy, disrespectful 10 year old black belts with no form and bad attitudes. If you have a black belt in TKD, you should be able to own any orange belt in a sparring match. Just my opinion.

Oops… Was that a rant? Anyways, I would view any diciplined and experienced martial artist as a serious threat. They have speed, power, and good form with their techniques. However, most martial artists are very focused on a “fair” fight. I would say your best bet would be aggression, cheap shots, some ear biting (otherwise known Tyson style), and getting them to the ground and soon as possible. Then again, most serious martial artists I know are very diciplined and peaceful. I don’t think you would have anything to wory about unless some Shaolin monks joined up with Al Qaeda.

A false since of security is a VERY bad thing. You will defend yourself like you train. I tried MULTIPLE martial arts schools (TKD, Kungfu,KukSoolWon,Combat Hapkido,Shotokan Karate,Aiki Jutsu) to see what best suited me and Krav Maga was it! I was looking for something “Reality Based” that worked. As far as defending yourself against another martial artist….absolutely! What we do is not point fighting…there isn’t any tapping…and we NEVER stop until they are down. So I would say …YES…you can defend yourself and have a REALLY good chance at winning.thumbsup

kravmdjeff

One thing you guys are forgetting…traditional martial arts were never intended to be trained 2-3 times per week for an hour. They were created during a time period in history when people’s literal survival depended upon them training hours per day, every single day, from age 6 or 7. What many/most people do in the US that they call “traditional training” is anything but.

Don’t get me wrong. I teach Krav Maga. I believe in the system more than anything else I’ve trained in. But don’t compare really bad traditional martial arts to really good self-defense training.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: