Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Defense against hair grabs/pulls

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kmyoshi

Just wondering what is a good technique against hair grabs/pulls? I’m asking mainly when in a cat fight type situation, but for guys as well. I would think certain strikes would make the attacker pull harder. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

tomo

Re: Defense against hair grabs/pulls

quote KMyoshi:

Just wondering what is a good technique against hair grabs/pulls? I’m asking mainly when in a cat fight type situation, but for guys as well. I would think certain strikes would make the attacker pull harder. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Well…..I shaved my head. Seems to have worked well so far. thumbsup

kmyoshi

I’ve thought about going bald but realize that I should cherish my hair while it’s still here… plenty of time to go bald later in life.

sicpuppy

quote KMyoshi:

I second this request…

My daughter is into her second year in high school and for some reason, some of the girls have taken her on as their local project… If things get out of hand and degenerate, I want her to be able to defend against what is the most likely attack girls would use.

I asked my instructor about it (and told him why) and he said it is for more advanced levels… WTF?

So for now I suggested she try to base herself, grab the attacker’s hands and pull them to her own head to relieve the pain, and line up for a front kick to the groin. No groin, no Krav Maga.

PS- My daughter is also his student so I was a bit taken back when he wouldn’t help her out on this.

PPS- I usually have my hair in a high and tight… good luck pulling that! lol

yehudabaruch

Hi.
    This is an established, simple, and highly dynamic technique.

1) Using both hands, clasp the attacker’s hand to your head, locking it in position so that pulling on your head pulls your body, not your hair follicles.

2) Be certain that your elbows are IN FRONT of the attacker’s arm: that is, that your arms are not on either side of his, but rather on one side.

3) Rotate towards the attacker keeping the hand trapped on your head for as long as possible. Your elbow is “striking” the attackers arm, creating a lever against his wrist, which is trapped to your head.This exerts great pressure on the wrist (in the transverse direction) and on the elbow and shoulder if the attacker does not let go and you continue to turn.

4) You may allow the attacker to let go and use the nike defense (run away!), or follow up with any number of combatives to make his pursuit less tenable. You may also trap the hand against his will, executing the shoulder lock and grounding him or breaking the shoulder/elbow as you continue to turn.

I hope this is relatively clear.

My best,
    -J

sicpuppy

quote YehudaBaruch:

Hi.
    This is an established, simple, and highly dynamic technique.

1) Using both hands, clasp the attacker’s hand to your head, locking it in position so that pulling on your head pulls your body, not your hair follicles.

2) Be certain that your elbows are IN FRONT of the attacker’s arm: that is, that your arms are not on either side of his, but rather on one side.

3) Rotate towards the attacker keeping the hand trapped on your head for as long as possible. Your elbow is “striking” the attackers arm, creating a lever against his wrist, which is trapped to your head.This exerts great pressure on the wrist (in the transverse direction) and on the elbow and shoulder if the attacker does not let go and you continue to turn.

4) You may allow the attacker to let go and use the nike defense (run away!), or follow up with any number of combatives to make his pursuit less tenable. You may also trap the hand against his will, executing the shoulder lock and grounding him or breaking the shoulder/elbow as you continue to turn.

I hope this is relatively clear.

My best,
    -J

Hi -J…

Is there a video or demo of this somewhere? I am not able to visualize what you are describing above……

esquire32

Of course there is the krav defense for a hair grab.

Also.. look up american kenpo “clutching feathers” (its a yellow or orange belt technique in that system) technique on you tube( i know the name is a bit funky..but alas) Its not too far off the krav defense conceptually and may offer some ideas.

ex… rather than pinning the hand and moving back and bending down as in krav, they pin the hand , rotate back while upright extending the attackers arm and therefore expose his side/ribs for a counter strike. In fact, after the strike, you could probably roll into the krav defense if need be . Anyways take a look..

bradm

“anyways take a look..)”
    Is there a video web link tho look at??

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Clutching Feathers

Try that

esquire32

That should about cover it i think:))) nice compilation.:beer:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote esquire32:

That should about cover it i think:))) nice compilation.:beer:

I got a branch on the family tree 😉 first time I saw the technique I said oh its clutching feathers lol.

Should have seen first time I busted out 5 swords as a combative lol. Raining hammers works well too. thumbsup

kmyoshi

I’m still in level 1. I do not believe the yellow belt curriculum of KMWW covers this as I have yet to see it in class. Interesting video…. I will have to try it out to see if it really works. I’m assuming the punch to the underarm area is suppose to loosen up the grip the attacker has on your hair?

greenbeanie

Hair grabs are in KMWW’s Level 3 curriculum. Purchase the book Complete Krav Maga by Darren Levine and John Whitman. Hair grabs start on page 194.

pkmbuffalo

hair pulls and grab releases are advanced level? OMG. my students learn these very basic techniques within 8-10 hours of instruction.

lions2011

Hair grabs are level 2-3 depending on the school.
    The key is too get strong leverage on the attacker’s knuckles. So you want to really slam your palms onto the attacker’s knuckles. Big knuckles then you close your elbows so they are side by side and touching and bow down.
    Easy defense .
    Some of the defenses in level 1, I thought were hard to grasp for awhile. The basic pluck took me months to get. And the head lock standing was one of the toughest to learn for me. EAsy once you know it. Some people just get it the first day and others like me take weeks or months.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: