Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Defense against two-handed stab

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

A few days ago, on the news, there was a story about a couple, who were asleep in their bedroom when the husband awoke to find a naked man standing next to his side of the bed, with a knife in both hands, just about to stab him.

Luckily, the husband was able to react quickly and grabbed the guys arm, then pulled him on top of the bed. A struggle ensued and in the end the husband and wife and their kids were able to keep the attacker at bay with baseball bats until the police arrived.

So, from a Krav Maga point of view, how should one ideally defend that type of attack? Seems like the husband was instinctively doing the right thing by pulling the guy off balance. On the other hand, he probably pulled him right on top of him and the attacker still had the knife.

Seems like a stab attack with two hands would be rare, but it happened in this case, so what would you do? The regular 360 defense plus counter might be hard to do in this case, since his arms would block his face and it might be hard to counter. But you could probably still do the block, then maybe push his arms to the side (like off angle stab attack), then counter.

Cavaliers would also be tricky as long as he has the knife in both hands, although he might let go with one hand as soon as the struggle starts.

It’s also a strange angle if you are lying down flat and he is right above you, but I think the 360 block and then redirection of arms could still work (So similar to what the husband did, but blocking instead of grabbing the arm).

If you had a choice, would you rather block and redirect the arms away from the bed, or towards the bed, so that he would lose his balance and fall on top of it? It would be kind of scary to have him lie on top of your legs and the bedsheets would impair your movements, but at least he would be off balance and close enough for counters. If you redirected the other way, you might not be able to get up quickly enough to get away or continue the fight and you might not be able to give a strong counter attack if he is standing and you are lying down.

Of course, you could think about doing stick defense in this case, but the knife might still cut you and it might be harder to counter attack.

Seems what the husband did, pull him on top of the bed, was probably the best thing he could have done and thankfully it worked, no-one got seriously injured.

kmsf

In that situation you are too hampered by the bed with sheets and blankets over you and in a horizontal position that the counter would almost be useless and have no power behind it. He has all the leverage and advantage just to stab downward. Grabbing the arms at the wrists and not letting go with the pulling off ballance to gain the top position would be one of the best and only type of defense you could do in this case and luckilly for that man and his family that is what he did automatically.

dalamar

Giantkiller,

Any chance you can pull that new article up on the web? Your description of this sounds utmost creepy. Naked with a two handed stab. I visualize some sadistic cult member performing some sacrificial ceremony.

Or maybe he’s the wife’s lover hiding in the closet. 😕

consurvativ

Hmm, how about the gun under the pillow technique? People can also get fairly cheap and easy to install motion sensors, so the guy wont get to your bedside in the first place without you being ready…..

anonymous

Looks like the attacker may have intended to kill the whole family, because he apparently had just been ordered by a court to pay about 12,000 dollars in restitution for a truck he had stolen from them a year earlier. Seems as if he had planned the attack and even cut phone connections before he tried to stab his first victim.

I don’t think the gun under the pillow would have done the husband any good initially, because when he woke up the attacker was just starting to lower the knife and all he could do was somehow react. Of course, once he had gotten him off balance, maybe he would have been able to reach for a gun. But it was also tricky to shoot, because his wife was lying next to him and woke up when the attacker partially landed on her (she even got a minor cut from the knife).

I saw this story on TV, it happened in Los Angeles. I’m not sure where to find it on the web, but maybe the LA Times website?

By the way, I don’t think anyone knows why the guy was naked… 😕

jaeroo

If you see an assailant in your bedroom, you either did not lock your doors and windows or there may be a chink in your outer defenses. I always make sure everything is locked and alarms, if you have them, activated. As for myself, my loaded guns, spare mags, and tactical light, are under the bed hidden under as magazine or newspaper since I don’t have a nightstand. Because of this, I have a tactical folder (S&W SWAT) w/ 4\” blade velcroed to the head of the bed behind my pillow. It can be a first weapon if need be if I’m trapped and can’t get to the guns on time.

leftie79

What about getting a big dog? Some people feel a lot safer that way.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: