Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Defense for the haves

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    freelancer

Too bad this has gotten priced so high that an ordinary working person can’t take it. Used to be that you could get a decent price but not any more, seems that money is the over riding priority. A previous instructor in California was a real nice guy and cut me a deal on the price. I offered to help out with clean up and stuff when he needed it. Now in a new state it’s like price too high tough shit get a better job.

Met a Mui thai instructor today that looks to have a good looking training program, intense but low key in a decent facility, not new but obviously had been there a while. Asked me what I could afford, I told him and he said not a problem. Nice to know there’s still people out there like that.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hi Freelancer.

By the tone of your post you sound a little bitter and if I wasnít able to train because it would cause a financial hardship I would probably be upset too.

Keep in mind that the feeís charged by local schools are up to the owners discretion and should not be indicative of KM attitude in general.

Good luck at the MT school Iím sure your going to love the training it can be intense on the shins!

Sean

Hey-

I agree with Sean – the price is by no means a reflection of KM. We also have to realize that studio owners struggle as well – depending on your area KM might not be as well known or popular.

However, I may be a b^%&$ for saying this, but I think you get what you pay for. I know of dedicated KM schools who totally care about the art and about the clients that will usually find a way to train.

Sadly, I have heard there are schools that are just in it for the money and that SUCKS ASS. It is truly sad to know that there are schools out there that clam to be totally into KM, but are only in it for the money or the status. Heck, who knows how cheap some schools could be – and they probably have students running the programs that never been to instructor training. Let’s not even mention the whole CKM – please read Sam Sada’s letter is you haven’t 😀

All and all times are tough as shit – I drive over an hour to train and with the price of gas it really sucks. But I believe in getting the best training out there – I have to accept the sacrifices 😉 One piece of advice – make sure you ask if the instructors teaching KM or any other M/A are certified!!! You don’t want to waste your money or your limbs with a school that does things half ass. MT IS AWESOME GOOD LUCK – but I think you check and see if there are other schools in your area that teach KM if you are wanting to train – you never know what you will find! Good luck

KP 😉

unstpabl1

Hey Freelancer

I really understand where your coming from. I can only speak of the krav centers in LA, But those centers are in prime locations, on busy streets, with a healthy payroll. It has a high overhead. In order to keep the doors open and the company in the plus column, they have to do business a certain way. I may not be able to join because of EFT, but I understand their need for it. Its cheaper and easier for them in the long run to see that their accounts recievable is taken care of. They also don’t have to track you down to collect. Your right in that krav is a bit corporate, but to be honest its classes are full and it doesn’t have to undersell itself.

A small school doesn’t have the overhead and they are a little easier to deal with. They need the bodies as well. Making a living teaching martial arts is tough. The turnover is high as it looks easy and fun, then you do it and it ends up being work. i like small gyms and you will probably get excellent training

All in all though krav is competitively priced here in Los Angeles.

As I said I’m kinda in the same boat as you, but there is a difference. Its a big difference and I don’t think your going to like it though its meant to help. You act like success is a bad thing. Like its a bad thing for someone to set a price for their services. I’m sorry the schools not in your range, hopefully your finances will turn and you will be able to afford to do anything and go anywhere you like.

blindfold

At our school the instructor isn’t the owner. Because of that he doesn’t control the pricing for the classes. They are EFT based, for classes, and pay as you go on any equipment. The instructor recognizes that some people can’t pay for everything right now, so he lets them streetch it out a couple of weeks, but the price doesn’t change. He tries to do what he can for people who want to put in the effort and time and h=just can’t afford everything now.

smokelaw1

Out of curiouslity, what is the monthly at NTC or SO?

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”smokelaw1\:

Last time I looked, it was like $105 + $35 for fight. In comparison, in the area Inosanto Academy is 148, The MT gyms are $95 -$110, Judo is seriously like $20, Kenpo $115 and the MMA and BJJ gyms are over $200 amonth for unlimited classes. Boxing gyms are like $50 for gyms use and $5o-$80 an hour for instruction. I’d say the average here right now is around $150 a month. So krav here is competitively priced. Also their facilities are clean and they offer one of the wider range of class times

hope that helps

smokelaw1

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

quote \”smokelaw1\:

Last time I looked, it was like $105 + $35 for fight. In comparison, in the area Inosanto Academy is 148, The MT gyms are $95 -$110, Judo is seriously like $20, Kenpo $115 and the MMA and BJJ gyms are over $200 amonth for unlimited classes. Boxing gyms are like $50 for gyms use and $5o-$80 an hour for instruction. I’d say the average here right now is around $150 a month. So krav here is competitively priced. Also their facilities are clean and they offer one of the wider range of class times

hope that helps

That’s really not so bad, considering what an expensive place to have a business that is.
    I have been looking into addiing BJJ and/or MT to my training, and there is a very good school here for BJJ, but they only offer unlimited classes, because of my schedule, I can only train liley one day a week at another art, so it really isn’t worth the $189 a month. My school apparently MIGHT reinstitute MMA after saturday Krav (tough day!) I wish they would.

unstpabl1

Re:

[quote=\”smokelaw1

[/quote]

That’s really not so bad, considering what an expensive place to have a business that is.

Yeah both their locations here are on ground floors of hi priced property add in the turnover of students. KMAA has done a pretty good to stay afloat and expand.

You know people can complain about QC at franchise schools and such. But these guys went all out to meet the demand and expand. Ed Parker probably created the map for this and he had the same problems KMAA has had. The thing is most people think the training is great, so their doing something right. Their always going to be bad instructors who get thru or lose motivation
    ]

freelancer

Sorry, didn’t mean to come off as an ass or as if this stuff should be free. I was just frustrated by the person attitude and lack of any communication regarding options. Not that they have to do that I just have never encountered that before. HAve taken some Krav before I thought that we could work something out. Oh well.

On an aside note I did hook up with someone there who GAVE me three krav videos after hearing that I couldn’t attend training on Saturdays. Very nice gave me his email and got the videos todday.

Didn’t mean to offend anyone here just frustration I guess.

Guess I need to hook up a TV/DVD in the garage. Looks like my Heavy bag, DVD’s, my weight bench and dynamic stretching. All for the low low price of nothing.

unstpabl1

Hey Freelancer

I totally understand where you are coming from on this. More than you know.I don’t think you came off as an ass, but disappointed. When you find something you like and want to do and the financial terms don’t come together its frustrating. The fact that you posted back speaks very highly of your character.

Listen your venting here doesn’t even scratch the surface of being a butt. I walked almost 5 miles one day to introduce myself 👿 to a krav salesman after he crossed a line. My ex realising how mad I was took my car keys 😯 That was kinda like pouring fuel on a fire 😉 . Luckily the gym was another 2 miles away, I got tired, didn’t have bail money and a friend of mine was tending bar at a pool hall on the way. I drank and flirted with her instead 😉 It takes alot to piss me off but everybody needs to vent. 😆

Training the MT will compliment your training and when you come back to krav, you’ll give guys fits. MT fighters are physically and mentaly tough. You’ll get back to it as finances and situations turn, but keep training.

I gotta tell you man, I really have a lot of respect for you and know things are going to go great for you, because you have integrity. Most people would post and either just stir up crap or go into hiding. You showed up and took responsibility. Good Stuff

Mike

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

a friend of mine was tending bar at a pool hall on the way.
    Mike

ROFL.. off topic but I know the red headed waitress there Lisa

Chapter 5 of Mike and Seans world gets smaller

Odd that you and I have never met

unstpabl1

There was a period of time where I worked like every resturant North side of the BLVD between whitsett and Coldwater. Come to think of it I was fired by all 🙄 I thinlk they had the problem not me 😆 I think we knew some of the Aftershock guys would come in and drink at Jerry’s.

i’ll have to talk to Dave. He remembers everyone. I remember what they drank or if they were a problem

vwr32

[joke] Ok, the truth must be told. The high prices are to keep the riff-raff out. [/joke]

I have to say something about this, but only because there was a time when I thought $100 a month was huge. We were staying afloat financially, but only barely. That extra $25 a week would have been non-existant back then. We followed the Dave Ramsey plan for getting out of debt, and now pocket most of what we earn at work. Without increasing our household income at all, we’ve gone from being paycheck to paycheck to being able to pay cash for everything… including my photography hobby.

I’m not saying anyone who thinks $100 a month is a lot is in financial trouble, but it might be worth it to take a look at things. I know people who complain about being constantly broke and dread something as simple as having to replace the tires on their car. It’s very common. We’re a society who bases our financial decisions on whether or not we can afford the payments… until we’re at the limit of what we bring home. That’s how I was living for a long time.

Maybe it’s not a matter of debt… but simply priority. Cable tv, premium channels, eating out for lunch everyday, taking the family out for dinner a couple times a week, cigarettes if you smoke, name brand foods at the grocery, car payment… it all adds up. Until a budget is done to figure out where it’s all going, it’s easy to think \”we just don’t earn enough\”. Most often it’s a problem with spending rather than earning.

Case in point: A friend of mine is a scuba instructor and was putting together a trip to Mexico for his class. This guy is an ex-marine and purple heart recipient from the first gulf war and lives on a limited income. He had to loan a student in his class (also a friend) $500 so he could go on the trip. The guy who borrowed the money is a physician who is up to his eyeballs in debt.

Sorry if this is entirely off base, maybe someone else can benefit from it.

Muay Thai is certainly not a second rate style to anything… I hope you don’t think you’re having to settle for something subpar. It’s just a different style… you won’t encounter disarming tactics or multiple attacker defense, and we don’t learn rules of the ring. But if krav is what you really wanted to do, making room financially for $25 a week could be as simple as bringing your lunch to work instead of hitting the McDonalds. I ate peanut butter jelly sandwiches for 2 years while we got out of debt. Can’t tell you now nice it is. Good luck.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: