Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books defense while seated in car?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    hammy48

I recently experienced some serious road rage… what would you do if you were stopped at a light and someone approached your vehicle and or opened your door? I am sure there is some info on this out there!

ds314

Re: defense while seated in car?

Keep you door locked. Call 911. Drive off if you can safely, even if it means running over the threatening person.

DS314

kvmorl

Driving off may not be an option if middle of traffic with cars around…

I’ve seen some vehicle defense videos around, i think you tube or expert village and if i’m not mistaken it is sometimes covered in high Krav levels along with 3rd party protection ect…

gabe

Here in Sao Paulo, Brasil the most common situation is getting robbed while your driving, since the traffic is a complete caos people take advantage by riding motorcycles in the middle of the cars and approaching opened windows poiting a gun or a knife to the driver, and there is no way to drive of when your stuck in traffic and people around cant do nothing with fear that more bikes are around, so the only option is to give what they want.

seeq-qc

I was just thinking about starting a thread on this exact subject. For me it seems as if getting in and/or out of a car in a parking area is window of opportunity where you are switching gears mentally to the next task possibly preoccupied and in that moment or two you could be caught off guard without much warning. Having a few go-to tactics for that specific situation would be a great addition to the ol’ toolbox.

nate

It happens, I had a knife pulled on me when I was seated in a car outside of a bowling alley. We had just gotten in the car and the thug was holding the door open with one arm a knife in the other hand. Unfortunately, the driver of our car froze and wouldn’t just gun it and take off (he had been carjacked a month prior to the stupid thing in the bowling alley). The guys in our car outnumbered them 2 to 1, but no point getting into an altercation with a drunk guy trying to prove himself with a knife.

I ended up talking the guy down and he walked away, but took a suckapunch to the jaw in the process.

Recently had a couple of fake gangsters trying to pull some road rage crap on me, so I just casually got off the freeway, let them yell at me and keep following me till I got to half a block from the police station and they drove away.

We spend enough time getting in and out of cars, even spending time in our cars stopped in traffic, seems like a good place to learn some defenses.

seeq-qc

Just tossing it around in my head, but perhaps the tools for this scenario are already at hand. For instance seated in the car with door open and confronted by a gunman, you could still redirect the gun, though you body defense will be compromised, and then secure the back of the gun like in gun to head of person on their knees so their reflex to pull the gun from your grip helps pull you out of the seat onto your feet, then go into the facials strikes, break/take, exit.

Door closed, if it’s a carjacking then you’ll need to open the door and exit the car, so the standard gun defenses could be used once you are out of the car and in position.

Road rage, where the assailant, opens your door, maybe there is a variation of groundwork working from a modified “on your back” position using strong kicks to the crotch, stomach, chest or face to stun and make space, then exiting the car to continue with combative to eliminate the threat.

Standard Krav techniques don’t cover every single permutation of every possible scenario. IMHO, it’s sometimes up to us to find tactical solutions within the considerable knowledge we already have access to. Just a thought…

relli-kant

I’ve seen a KM gun defense done from inside a car with the door closed, gun is held next to or through an open window: Basically a redirection similar to gun from the front, but cupping with the second hand and pulling the gun (and with it the attacker’s arm) inside, so the attacker has less leverage, then attempt a takeaway. It’s very high risk, so something to do only as a last resort.

kvmorl

This is one of the video i mentioned from Jimenez, attacked with gun. Video

seeq-qc

I like that…just have to be sure there was space to get away in traffic and being able to keep enough leverage on the gun to prevent the baddie from redirecting the gun.

kirsten

Yeah I was just going to say that when driving, it is important to always give yourself “an out”. Meaning leave plenty of space between your car and the car infront. That way if there is an emergency of any kind you have room to exit out either side. It may not be totally possible in all situations, but you can’t train for everything. You have to train for as much as you can and do the best you can in the given situation. For those of you that don’t, lock your door the second you get in as previously stated.

BTW, I think I would forget bowling and pick up golf…

hammy48

Someone mentioned Brazil car crimes… I heard that recently they have been taking a pliers and clamping it down on people’s ears who are stopped with open windows. Then they order the person to give them their money, or wind up driving off looking like Van Gogh.
    Anyway…
    I bet a pretty large percentage of violent crimes involve cars; makes sense then to have a system of defense for this unique position.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: