Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Did anyone see the UFC? (POTENTIAL SPOILER)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

Did anyone see the UFC on Saturday? If so, what happened? Didn’t order it this time, saving some money. Too bad they don’t repeat it a week later, as they do with boxing fights.

Did Franklin win?

mmottster

I watched UFC 72. You saved your money. Personally the best fight of the night were the Lightweight guys. Guida vs Griffin. That was an exciting fight!

Franklin won by unanimous decision and so did Forrest. Neither fight was really dynamic. Forrest was cautious and used more leg kicks than ever before. His opponent seemed to just stand there and let Forrest hit him. On rare occasion he would try to throw a few punches, Forrest would dance back and away. During the post fight interview, Forrest wasn’t very funny and seemed rather uncomfortable. Franklin’s fight wasn’t very dynamic either. The last couple minutes of the last round had me up off the couch yelling at the TV, but that was it.

I’d say over all it was one of the more boring UFC’s. I’m very glad both Franklin and Forrest won, I think they both could use it to boost their ego and confidence.

giant-killer

Well, too bad for you, but I’m glad to hear it. 😀 I usually never miss a UFC, but it was already showing live at 12pm and just didn’t seem all that exciting. Maybe next one will be better. There is also a lot more free MMA out there these days, less reason to spend 40 bucks on an average fight card. But maybe next time.

jburtonpdx

I keep wondering if they are over doing it maybe? $40 every couple weeks is starting to add up, especially when I can see fights all week long on some of the other \”lesser\” leagues…

I will buy for the really big ones – like the recent Iceman/Rampage fiasco, but thats about it anymore.

giant-killer

Yeah, used to be there was a UFC every couple of months and then it was about 20$, so that was fine. Maybe they should charge more for really good cards and less for others. Or better yet, more free stuff, even if we have to watch commercials.

johnwhitman

I have to say that I agree. Very few UFC fights have been interesting lately, IMHO. I’ve watched some more interesting fights with an organization called WEC. They are free (although broadcast on HDNet, so I guess it’s not totally \”free\”). I’m not endorsing WEC, per se. I don’t even know what it stands for. I just think some of the interesting fights now are happening among the smaller organizations.

giant-killer

Are those WEC fights only shown in HD or also regular TV/cable? Which channel? Showtime has also been broadcasting some fights, or at least repeated them a week after the live PPV broadcast (Dynamite USA, Elite Combat). Maybe that’s it? \”World Elite Combat\”?

That’s one good thing about boxing PPV, they always show the repeat a week later for \”free\” (on premium cable HBO). Wished they would do that with the UFC as well.

xkirian

Since the UFC owns WEC (World Extreme Cagefighting) I dont think they’ll mind the comments ;). WEC has had some excellent matches since joing the Versus (VS) network. They can be seen every Wed night for Free. Alot like UFC Unleashed.

So to cover the MMA/Thai Boxing TV Schedule each week, we have.

IFL Battleground (Mon + Sat Night) Channel (My TV)
    Bodog Fights (Tuesday + Sat Nights) Channel (Ion)
    Fight Girls (Tuesday Nights) Channel (Oxygen)
    WEC Wrekage and Tapout (Wed Nights) Channel (Vs)
    Ultimate Fighter (Thursday Nights) Channel (Spike TV)
    IFL Season Fights (Friday Nights) Channel (Fox Sports Net)

Various Times….

UFC Unleashed (Spike)
    UFC (Ultimate Fight Nights)
    WEC Live Shows (Vs)
    WCL (Vs)
    Elite XC (Showtime)

Kirian

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Thank God for TiVO

freelancer

The WEC actually has some decent fights. I also like Chuck Norris’ World Combat League, which are pretty quick fights but pretty much non stop kick/punch throughout.

johnwhitman

Versus, that was the network. Thanks, Kirian!

I didn’t realize UFC owned WEC. I was actually impressed when the play-by-play guys mentioned WEC during the recent UFC fights. I will now revise my opinion downward since it was just marketing! However, kudos to them for branching out and keeping the fight game fresh. I don’t particularly care if they own multiple venue, so long as they focus on good fighting.

BTW, did anyone catch the comment about elbows? It was a derogatory comment pointing out that elbows cause cuts that stop fights, even though the fighter isn’t all the hurt.

I found the comment interesting and controversial. Look for this to come up more as mma reaches deeper into the mainstream.

As a fighter, I don’t want to see elbows eliminated from the game. HOWEVER, the comment was accurate: lots of fights get stopped due to elbow cuts, even though the fighter is totally functional.

Thoughts?

giant-killer

Who made the comment? At the UFC? That person wanted elbows to be banned?

Personally, I don’t like the idea of banning more and more combatives. They already banned elbows on the ground, knees on the ground, kicking a person who is down, headbutts… Of course, you want to keep the fighters save, but too many restrictions might make the fights less interesting.

As for elbows causing bigger cuts, I suppose they can, but as long as the fighter is still able to see they should let him continue if he wants to. If not, then it was a legitimate win by the other fighter. If people want blood, well there they go. 🙂

Reminds me of that one fight way back with Oleg Taktarov . He fought Tank Abbot I believe and I don’t think they had time limits then. Also, they had to fight several times on the same night. Anyway, Oleg always bled very easily and got cut early and there was blood everywhere and both were gassed, but Oleg still won by choke in the end.

giant-killer

Oh, and this thing about adapting something for the \”mainstream\” is sort of a pet peeve of mine. It’s a fighting sport. Two guys trying to knock each other out. Punches, kicks, elbows, submissions. Yes, there may be blood. If someone doesn’t have the stomach to watch it, don’t. But I don’t like the thought of taming the sport down, just so the pretty celebrities and partygirls, who only recently found out about the sport and come down to watch because it’s the new \”hip\” thing to do, aren’t offended by some unsightly blood. 😈

freelancer

I was reading Black Belt yesterday at the book store. Bas Ruten was commenting on the fact that in MMA, elbow don’t usually have that great of an impact except to cut and make bleed thereby stopping a fight. He aplauded the IFL for eliminating them from competition.

He also juxtaposed that with elbows in regards to self defence saying that they can be used with varing degrees of effectiveness but that if all you do is make someone bleed it may just make them more aggresive.

Good article from Bas.

emil

I’ve been watching the IFL and have seen some really good fights. These guys really work hard. It’s also fascinating to see how the coaches impact the styles of the fighters by training and selecting certain types for the teams. I am also glad that the fighters seem to have a more regular paycheck and some sort of health coverage.
    I haven’t been impressed with Bodog overall, some of the fighters seem ill prepared, or washed up, or just plain out of shape. Also, all the emphasis on blood and guts and Calvin Ayre ass kissing is annoying. Having said that Nick thompson and Eddie Alvarez are two stand outs.
    As for elbows,I don’t think they add anything to the game. With few exceptions, for example when Anderson Silva used a spinning #5 type elbow to KO, they’ve mostly been used to cut and get the fight stopped prematurely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: