Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Did Level 1 prepare you for Level 2?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jdoc

Hey good afternoon guys, my name is J and I train at KMWW West L.A., I recently tested for level 2 last saturday and I still have the bruises on my body!:chair: Well after a short recovery I went to my first level 2 class on monday and it was a very very big eye opener. I thought 360 defense was tough…the absorbing drills (punches to the head, stomach, and round kicks to the thigh) and all the leg blocks were just horrible. I must admit that I came into level 2 thinking I could handle it with ease but man was I dead wrong. Did anyone else feel this way going into level 2?

zen4me

Re: Did Level 1 prepare you for Level 2?

quote JDOC:

Hey good afternoon guys, my name is J and I train at KMWW West L.A., I recently tested for level 2 last saturday and I still have the bruises on my body!:chair: Well after a short recovery I went to my first level 2 class on monday and it was a very very big eye opener. I thought 360 defense was tough…the absorbing drills (punches to the head, stomach, and round kicks to the thigh) and all the leg blocks were just horrible. I must admit that I came into level 2 thinking I could handle it with ease but man was I dead wrong. Did anyone else feel this way going into level 2?

From my experience, there’s always this jarring return to reality after every belt test – it reminds me of moving up to high school from middle school in a way. Things are more confusing (techs), the classes are harder, there is less hand holding in a sense. However, after a couple of weeks you start getting into the groove of the new material and soon enough it doesn’t feel so overwhelming, for lack of a better term. So to answer your question, yes I think most people feel that way when they moved from L1 to L2 or L2 to L3, etc.

– Kelly

kravmdmatt

My very first Level 2 class I sprained my ankle in warm ups. The only thing going through my mind was:

“I just got through Level 1 test and passed with flying colors and I get injured doing shoulder tag? Doh!”

Go back and train in a Level 1 class but work with a brand new student. You will realize how far you’ve come in training (relatively) and it will remind you that everyone (including you) starts somewhere with each new endeavor.

Good luck!

night-robin

I took my L1 test last Saturday and have no idea whether or not I’ve passed. Regardless, i made up my mind beforehand that i would continue taking the L1 class I’m taking now in an effort to further familiarize myself with the techniques.

Some classes i get paired up with a relatively new student and explain some techniques to them. Other classes, I get paired with a more experienced partner and they explain stuff to me. Occasionally something will happen that makes you feel less competent than you actually are. Some nights I have a hard time with kicks. Some nights I kick perfectly. Everybody has off days. No reason to get discouraged.

bradm

When I was training Km in Atlanta, the level-1 and level-2 classes were back to back. After I became a level-2 (and level-3) I usually attended both classes. I always liked going back and reviewing lower level stuff. Two back to back Krav classes was a pretty tiring workout.

bulb98930

I still feel this way and I’ve been a level 2 for a month and I am still getting my butt kicked! :chair: I feel bad for the level 3’s trying to help and spar with me. Holy Jeez, but it makes me want to work harder!

I became a Level 2 student about a month ago, and it’s been a sobering experience. LOL. Things are much faster-paced in Level Two, and I have discovered that…

1. My inside defenses suck
    2. My escapes from headlocks suck
    3. My stomp kicks suck
    4. One of our instructors, exasperated after a bad class, said a couple of weeks ago that all of us new level 2 students should go back to level 1 and learn how to do things properly. I guess this means that basically we ALL suck!!!rofl2
    Lastly… I feel like a complete idiot most of the time, like I did when I started level 1 🙂 So nah, Level 1 did not necessarily prepare me for the INTENSITY of Level 2, and the higher standards of achievement (and application of technique) that are expected. But I will persevere!!!

BTW… I do back-to-back Level 1 and then Level 2 classes on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday at Atlanta Krav Maga… it’s hard, but don’t misunderstand me…

I LOVE level 2!!!!!!!!

bulb98930

I love me some level 2 I just suck more than I thought I did:razz:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: