Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Differences in fitness from Level 1 to Level 2?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vincia1

Greetings, all. I am a beginner who will likely test within a few weeks. Can anyone speak to whether there is a significant difference in the fitness part of the class when one makes it to Level 2 (e.g., more repetitions, more difficult exercises, etc.)?

I have compared the curriculum for a Level 1 student vs. Level 2, and since many more advanced elements are introduced in Level 2, I was wondering if the fitness portion is cranked up a notch as well.

Thanks!
    -Vince

carpecanis

Re: Differences in fitness from Level 1 to Level 2?

The fitness portion of the L2 class is just as intense, but it’s a lot shorter than it is in the L1 class. L2 has a lot more techniques to learn and so more class time is devoted to learning and not getting fit.

You’ll see a lot of L2 students continuing to take L1 classes simply for the conditioning. I’ve also seen many students sucking wind during the L2 test because they only took L2 classes and didn’t keep up their L1 fitness levels.

jacgue36

I’m currently learning the level 4 curriculum. I have found that as I have progressed, the higher level classes, generally, require less physical intensity. Sometimes, when I have only taken a level 2 class or above, I have felt like I haven’t really gotten a “real” workout. I think that part of it, is the fact that the level one combatives are so physically demanding and intense.

It is important to maintain or even improve you conditioning as you progress because you will certainly need it for your testing. As you test the next belt, you don’t just review what you learned at the level you just completed but must review all the combatives and self defense techniques of the lower levels.

sicpuppy

I dunno Jacgue… My instructor is a fitness freak!!!

He spends virtually all his non-class time either working out, participating in a killer iron man contest or the like, working out, running, swimming in the gulf, working out, and… oh yeah, working out!

In class, he spends quite a bit of time on fitness with us (I am L1, but I also attend the L2 classes sometimes).

I was thinking of having him over to join us at dinner, but we are all afraid he will make us do pushups before and after dinner… lol

Seriously, maybe it depends somewhat on the instructor? I have not trained in Krav anywhere else, so I do not have anything to compare it to. But I have seen many videos of other schools, and other L1 testing, and I do not see nearly the same focus on “getting that heart rate up” as I see in our class… lol

Our L1 & L2 testing held last week was 4 hrs 45 minutes. The first 2 hours was absolutely no break in action. There were only 2-3 other breaks for hydration the rest of the night I think. I wasn’t testing, but I was there for moral support for my classmates (and to see what I will be facing when my turn comes).

Anonymous

Yeah my coach, he makes us run 100km under three hours, and whoever doesn’t meet this protocol, has to do it all over again, until we finally break the 3 hour barrier. It’s intense stuff, but if i wanna serve the Israeli SAS, or MOssad, i really have to increase the intensity of my training =D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: