Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics different heavy bag question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    clfmak

I know every week theres someone who wants to know what heavy bag they should get, but my question is a little different:
    I just ripped another heavy bag- it broke near one of the hooks holding it up, ripping parallel to the ground near the top. I have broken like five heavy bags this way, and I’m getting kind of angry that I keep ruining my gear. What sort of heavy bag would you recommend that won’t break as easilly? I was thinking that a 200lb one might be better because it doesn’t \”drop\” when you hit it hard, and this is what seems to cause tears. It is also notable that I keep it outside, but the weather is always fairly mild (its San Diego) and I keep it covered from sun and rain usually.

anonymous

Does your bag touch the ground? Maybe that would keep it from \”bouncing\” too much. Or maybe you could tie it to the ground? But on the bright side, that says something about the power of your strikes, if you keep rippin’ up your gear…

clfmak

I’ve never had a bag that touched the ground. I’ve owned lighter bags of 40, 80, and 100 lbs, all of which don’t touch the ground, except the times I’ve put it on the long chain to practice low kicks.
    I was thinking of getting a body snatcher bag, because I like the idea of a target I can hit at a variety of angles. I am aprehensive because I’ve never tried one, and I also like to incorporate low kicks and knees and I’m not sure if that would work. I suppose I could develop the same stuff to a higher line, but its not quite the same.
    Also, is there a better type of bag for use outdoors? I have heard canvass ones work well, but I had one (bag #2) and the same problem happened.

anonymous

The only types of bags I have used are the ones they have at the NTC. They are long and touch the ground, some have a type of ring around them at the bottom, about the size of a car tire, that keeps them from swaying too much. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of them rip, although it might have happened, but a lot of people are using them and they seem to last for a while. However, we don’t usually tie things around them or pull on them a lot.

I don’t know how heavy these bags are, but I’d say around 100 pounds. The biggest problem with these types of bags seems to be that the stuff that’s in them starts to settle toward the bottom after a while and the lower half ends up getting as hard as cement, but I guess that’s okay if you want to condition your shin.

What is a \”body snatcher\” bag?

wyatt9696

my guess, is that keeping it outside is having an effect on the hooks. the moisture in the air, especially if its covered(condensation) is somehow weakening the stitching, and or bag material. It can also get dry-rot. Plus, UV rays(even covered) certainly can have an effect on the bags integrity. I have 2 thoughts to consider. Bring the bag inside (if pos) and, or put a heavybag spring on the hooks before you hang it. this will take a lot of the shock off of the loops. Everlast, and several boxing companies sell them on their sites. they’re sold by bag weight. one is for up to 100# and the other is from like 100-300#. good luck.

determined

i’d recommend a \”banana bag\” or sometimes they’re referred to as \”thai bags\”. they’re long, thin, heavy and touch the ground. i got mine at Title Boxing and it’s held up well after a lot of abuse.

la-revancha

Duct tape. And yes, look into purchasing a banana bag.

clfmak

I remember a few years ago I had a bag that I put some really cheap duct tape on, and an unusually hot summer actually melted it and left my bag a sticky dirty mess. After that, I started keepin it covered in a white sheet so it wasn’t always being hit by the sun.
    What exactly does wrapping your bag in duct tape do? And would it do anything to stop a tear at the top at one of the seams?
    I have heard from an instructor I know that he has bought a few thai bags for his school, and they did not hold up very well- they wore out faster than a regular heavy bag. Are there any particular ones that are sturdy?
    I’ll also look into one of those springs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: