Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Disrespect of TM dojo Sensei’s/Master

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jl

I don’t know that I have ever started a thread on this forum. But I feel pretty good about it die to the show of respect to each other and those that are not from this system.

I’m wondering if some of the other Instructors around the country have any problems(rudeness to KM students, Instructors) with Traditional Martial Arts Dojo’s?

I have a supposed Master in a TMA (traditional Martial Arts) dojo that is rude to my students, rude sometimes to myself, and just generally does not have a huge amount of respect for Krav Maga. He says that we do things mechanically incorrect, and we should use more kata type training to “Refine” the technique. I explained that KM training is for people that want to be able to protect themselves and haven’t the time to learn forms or other complicated technique, for this is a reality based system using gross motor movements, which can be learned quickly and is quite good at providing such a system as to protect onesself. So in the end, he has no real reason to be this way, we use dojo etiquette at all times, and my students are respectful of the TM students.

My feeling from this guy is that there could be some envy of how many new students sign up each month for Krav Classes. I can’t remember when someone came in to sign up for his classes while KM was there. That and I think he maybe just a little immature on a personal front as well as from a business perspective.(i.e. changing the cost for rent several times in less than a year).
    I am currently looking into another place with whom I have a good realationship with the owner. I just thought I would throw this out to you to see if this is an isolated case or is it happening more than we know! JL

jl

Re: Disrespect of TM dojo Sensei’s/Master

Sorry about the spelling….too many broken fingers over the years I guess.

It is supposed to say I feel pretty good about starting a thread DUE to the show of respect to each other and those that are not from this system.
    Also, the thread was supposed to say Disrespect from the TM dojo’s Sensei/Master.

I have never seen a bonifide Master act like that in any other dojo. And I am no spring chicken, I’ve been around the block a few times. JL

russell

i guess im lucky at the school where i take classes the same teachers (also the owners) teach krav and tae kwon do (and in the past judo) there are students who take both (krav and tkd) but the programs are kept seperate

good luck with your situation ,and in finding a new place to teach those who want to learn real world self defense (no offense to tma’s)

magamike

Well, they sort of do it to themselves. When I was researching what “martial art” I wanted to study, I took some Kung Fu introductory private instruction. In those three sessions, I learned some pretty interesting and realistic fighting and self-defense sequences. I was particularly impressed with one sequence I learned. It involved defending against a front choke with a circle block (sort of similar to a KM choke from front with push defense), the followed immediately with knife hand to the throat (would have been an elbow to the face in KM given the body position after the defense), then another knife hand to the neck with the other hand while turning the body back around to the other side. I was able to perform this technique nicely, and was quite excited that I would be learning moves like that. THEN, the instructor said, “Good work, but of course you won’t see moves like that again for about a year.”

I thought WTF???? Why not??? That was the end of Kung Fu for me.

Then I learned about KM and took an intro class and was doing moves similar to the “advanced” Kung Fu introductory things day one and said “this is for me” and signed up.

I do think that I may study another TMA at some point after I get a solid foundation in KM, though.

spartankrav

I’ve seen an equal amount of disrespect from KM students toward TMAs. Narrow minded people are everywhere. For me, th bottom line is: keep an open mind, experience as much as possible, use what works for you and don’t sweat what others think.

nate

The reactions I get from people who’ve studied TMAs are usually one of the 3 things – 1) They respect Krav and what its doing and are interested in how the system works 2) They dismiss Krav as “basically streetfighting” 3) They dismiss Krav as a “fake martial art”

I don’t see a whole lot of disrespect for TMAs from Krav students, but I think people who are Krav students study Krav because they think it’s the best at what it does. If a Krav student says “well this TMA doesn’t have any ground experience”, then that’s an opinion on a weakness in the system. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a fellow KM student say “this TMA is completely stupid – it’s just a waste of time.” There’s always something that you can learn from every TMA, and that’s where Krav gets its strength.

garddawg

Almost always this kind of disrespect from either side is founded in insecurity. See it for what it is.

geary

The only formal training I have had has consisted of a small amount of boxing and military hand to hand. This all came before I started in Krav. I would never say one is better than another because they all have their strengths. I do know that Krav Maga kicks ass though……:combat:

stevetuna

quote garddawg:

Almost always this kind of disrespect from either side is founded in insecurity. See it for what it is.

What Garddawg said. We get a little bit of this kind of stuff from time to time. It simply tells me that if we’re drawing flack, then we’re over the target. It makes me want to dig in and do a better job for my students.

Great topic, JL. Thanks for posting that.

johnl-d11

Next time I get in a fight, I’ll pull out of kata from my old TKD training days.. hopefully my attacker will cooperate.

jl

There seams to be an underlying problem with this particular guy. he comes from a small group that is so spread out that they have a identity problem in the world of MA. I think there is also a bit of envy ion that we seem to be able to add more students per month than he. that all being said I went out the other day and had an interview with a different school and the guy was all for KM in his school. He had a working knowledge of how we train and what we are about. So I guess there is a silver lining in all the crap I have put up with and all the blood I have lost due to biting my lip when this guy would treat my people badly. So we move on and train in Krav. It is times like these that I am so very glad to be a part of the KM community. We don’t always agree on everything, but by and large we support one another in what we do. Thanks to all of you for letting me vent a bit! JL

psyops

JL,

Negotiate your rate and terms up front with the new school. Get all of it in writing. This will avoid drama in the future. As far as traditional MA goes, I understand why they feel the way they do about us.They are scared. They are scared that our way fits in a modern world and they struggle to compete with one another with antiquated techniques, marketing and structure.

There’s a dojo on every corner in my city and many more MMA schools and Jiu Jitsu schools. But there is only one Krav Maga school. We are unique in every way.TMA’s are not.They are “rich with tradition” which means they are stagnate and outdated. While I respect the history of these various systems I don’t pay attention to anything that they do. TMA’s are not competition for any good Krav Maga school. We are unique and your students will want to join a unique school not just another TMA!

kirsten

I have seen people in KM openly disrespect people from other systems. It is like anything, it goes both ways. Oneness and I were just at a local expo for all schools that was hosted by a Karate Dojo. Tons of students showed up from all the schools that were invited to teach. The whole day you got to take 25 min sessions from each of the instructors… Tai Chi, Karate, Aikido, Kung-Fu, F.I.G.H.T, Oneness totally blew the doors off everyone with Krav Maga… but anyway, ALL the local instructors were very respectful and great to work with! I have not had any problems. I think even they realize that we both fit a different niche…

bracius

Meh… I took that attitude from friend with years of experience in TMA. Yet what I learned as a level one, they learned as an advanced student.

Its not the discipline, but the student. KM seems to find the intense students… IMHO

P.S. Yeah, yeah…. I am back

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: