Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Do you cross train in other Martial arts??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

I try to hit Krav for 4 hours per week and I do Muay Thai about 2 hours per week. About all I can handle now.

Does anybody else cross train??

Most people in Krav maga seem to have busy careers and probably do not have time. I noticed in Muay thai the students are far younger and many of them do BJJ. Big age gap between your average MT and krav student.

Also I think Krav Maga is something that is less strain on your body in the long run than BJJ or MT. So you can do Krav for many years and not worrying about seeing a Physical therapist the rest of your life lol. KRav seems to attract more professional people too. Muay thai is seems to be mostly young punks lol

don

Re: Do you cross train in other Martial arts??

quote lions2011:

Muay thai is seems to be mostly young punks lol

Hey Mike, I think he’s talking about YOU here… :OhMy: :D:

re: crosstraining – I watch videos from a wide variety of MA… ;):

kmyoshi

quote lions2011:

… Most people in Krav maga seem to have busy careers and probably do not have time. I noticed in Muay thai the students are far younger and many of them do BJJ. Big age gap between your average MT and krav student.

Also I think Krav Maga is something that is less strain on your body in the long run than BJJ or MT. So you can do Krav for many years and not worrying about seeing a Physical therapist the rest of your life lol. KRav seems to attract more professional people too. Muay thai is seems to be mostly young punks lol

I think it varies from location to location. If you’re in a big city where the industry is filled with young professionals, that is probably the type of people your training center is going to attract since it is in close proximity of where they work. Now this is not always the case but I don’t think making sweeping generalizations such as what I bolded above is fair for those that train in MT and aren’t punks… :abx::D:

Krav Maga is geared towards those that don’t have that much time to train but can learn and utilize the techniques in a short amount of time.

I am going to start taking the fight classes at my training center next week starting with the intro to fight classes and then moving onto the ground fighting. This isn’t exactly cross training but at least I’ll get more ground work (BJJ based techniques) in.

unstpabl1

quote Don:

Hey Mike, I think he’s talking about YOU here… :OhMy: :D:

re: crosstraining – I watch videos from a wide variety of MA… ;):

;):

LIons, as you know I train in a MT gym and I’m back to daily training at an outta shape 53. Though I work my ass off i have limitations…and I suck

As an adult trainer I would be better off doing krav at KMSO. Why??? I train for health and personal protection.

Younger trainers are attracted to MT or MMA type training because some where in their minds they want to compete. Some will fall be the wayside when they realize how hard the training is or even how scary grappling can get….nobody talks much about claustrophobia before they start training but it sure comes up

Most younger people think of social violence..standing toe to toe for pride…most adults see the folly of dying over a parking space/bar stool/ or the drama queen your hitting on and think about the need of protecting the wife or kids. They think in terms of being out numbered or size disparity or weapons….what happens to my kid if I go down???

Younger people recover quicker, are more athletic and most importantly have more time….less commitments. Older trainers want to keep themselves healthy, strong and arent concerned with competions..they just want the most bang for their effort

again its not a matter of systems…MT, boxing, judo. bjj etc rock…their fighters can be badassed and they can know how to cheat

Its a matter of FOCUS…all these systems FOCUS on one on one agreed upon encounters without weapons, with rules….krav FOCUSES on self defense..ambush, protections, multiples, etc…the subtle differences between the street and a ring

Now there are some great Reality Based groups out there that utilize mma and street applications but they are far and few in between and again the learning curve is great meaning time consumimg

Krav’s FOCUS appeals to to Reality minded people who unsderstand the importance of personal responsibility for their safety but don’t have the time nor money to train in every system

Krav focuses on WHERE they’re going to have to fight if they ever should have to and will keep them in fighters shape…A win/win

Crosstraining is awesome….but might be the wrong type of crosstraining…meaning that we need to look at our personal weaknesses before the system then decide what is needed. When I think of krav i think it will give you the fundamentals of fighting/sd empty hand…my next step would be weapons..use of gun/knife/impact weapons. I know of a few instructors who play with the FMA’s or teach shooting.

Krav is also marketed toward young professionals and the pricing reflects that. MT like boxing gyms aren’t really marketed and are usually found in much lower priced real estate than your average krav centers. So you’ll end up for the most part with trainees from different social and economic groups

lions2011

I was joking about the punks. People who train in MT or MMA are very committed and dedicated for sure. :D:

Unstop. did you once fight in MT when you were younger. My least favorite part of MT is holding the Thai pads for heavy kickers. Still beats up my forearms badly and then get badly bruised with internal bleeding.
    Also when I kick the thai pads for some strange reason I sometimes hit my toes and they are black and blue the next day.
    Why can’t I hit my shin more and not my toes lol. Really hurts.

We do some light sparring in MT class which I like. That way I learn to move and defense and counter without getting too hurt or banged up.
    I will not do any heavy sparring as I really do not want my face to get beaten up to a plump lol.

lions2011

I am sure unstop you have some pretty nasty kicks and elbows and knees. I would not want to take many blows from you since you done MT for many years.
    you probably kick as hard as a horse too.

lions2011

to KM. are you going to take BJJ classes.
    BJJ is very effective but you MUST REMEMBER to never fight a submission to much or it can result in terrible long term damage to your arm or shoulder.
    Also avoid big dumb SPAZES since those are the ones who get people injured the most.
    A lot of teenage boys train hard in BJJ and a 120 pound kid may submit you on the first day lol. Accept that lol

I wonder if BJJ has surpassed TKD as the most popular Martial arts in the USA.

unstpabl1

quote lions2011:

I am sure unstop you have some pretty nasty kicks and elbows and knees. I would not want to take many blows from you since you done MT for many years.
    you probably kick as hard as a horse too.

no I don’t kick very hard often. I’m disabled as I have neuropathy from chemotherapy. It hurts me more than the person/pad I kick. I simply train. never fought..too old….CJ’s Dad is the guy for stand up/MT that I know from the board. One of his mentors was Peter Sugarfoot Cunningham. one of my KB heros

Everyone hits their toes once in a while. Your not bending your toes and need to hit the pad with more control so you hit with your shin. Guys get so focused on power/speed that they lose the form. its almost like throwing an elbow and hitting with your shoulder

kmyoshi

I am 118 pounds myself so if some 110 pounder submits me, I’m not going to feel too ashamed 😉

Yeah unless I’m going to compete, I’m not going to keep myself in a submission for long. I’d like to know what my threshold is but that’s about it.

lions2011

ok KM. make sure they offer a beginner class in BJJ and not just one big general class.
    I may take up some Beginner classes in BJJ in the summer.
    I tried it 10 years ago and hated it. The place just had a big giant class and the instructor’s teaching was so complex that I learned nothing. He did not focus on the basics but only on advanced moves so I could not absorb anything and wasted 6 months then quit. I think during the 6 months I had 2 tap outs and was submitted over 100 times lol

kmyoshi

They have an intro ground fighting class and a regular ground fighting class. It’s strange because I saw about 6 out of 8 students that wore a Gi. I will have to ask the instructor why some wear Gi’s and others do not.

lions2011

to KM, is this ground class with BJJ or Krav Maga.
    I would say if your into ground you will learn much more from BJJ class. That is what they do the best in the world.

kmyoshi

Ground class within the Krav Maga center that I train at. It’s all ground work based in BJJ.

Cross-training is excellent. Check out ” all topics ” for the list of available martial arts and hit the ” i ” button ( or icon ) & hit play on the right then scroll down for further instructions.

http://www.flashmavi.com/

unstpabl1

quote JewishFitness1976:

Cross-training is excellent. Check out ” all topics ” for the list of available martial arts and hit the ” i ” button ( or icon ) & hit play on the right then scroll down for further instructions.

http://www.flashmavi.com/

Nice link Heath….Did you move and get settled into training in KM?? Hope you’ve been doing well…Happy holiday

mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: