Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Does KM have a standerdized curriculum?

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 years ago by don.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kalender

I am looking for a sport / style / system / martial art to protect my self.

I heard about krav maga and it sounded like a good and effective system that is suitable for unexperienced beginners without prior fighting experience.
    The thing I like best is that they promise you to learn neutralize knife and fun situations.

I was excited to learn more about krav maga and I read some articles and looked at some youtube clips. There I noticed the lack of consistency. The experienced instructors look like effective fighters who have mastered the art. I can believe they are proficient in defending against attacks.
    There are however many practitioners and (unskilled?) teachers that appear to be erratic in their execution. In my eyes it often looks like a high intensity chain of sloppy random strikes without precision.
    I have also been watching a krav maga course while I was exercising at my local gym. It might not have been the best example to form an opinion but I

My question. Is there a standardized curriculum being taught in krav maga classes?
    I have no fighting experience but I imagine you need to practice and condition reflexes you can rely on in emergency situations. Does krav maga do this?

don

Re: Does KM have a standerdized curriculum?

IMO, Krav is a great place to start. I don’t think it’s got all the answers but I’m very comfortable teaching it to newbies.

YMMV when it comes to training – ANY style/system. Every place you go will have different instructors and training partners. Some places will be VERY VERY similar but it’s rare that you’ll find even two instructors at the same school teach EXACTLY the same.

It doesn’t have to be pretty to be effective. When it’s real, it’s often not as pretty as you practiced.

One of the hardest things for newbies to figure out or recognize is realistic training/techniques (separating the good stuff from the crap) and sometimes good instructors from crap as well. Watch out for the “my way is the best way” or “my way is the only way”.

RE: standard curriculum, YMMV. Depends on what/whom you’re comparing. Krav Maga is practiced all over the world by lots of different people – different organizations, different instructors/students, styles of teaching/training, different techniques, etc. Curriculum as far as what kinds of scenarios or situations or attacks/dangers are being addressed through training are probably going to be pretty similar. What is being taught to respond to those threats and How it’s being trained may vary a lot. Principles should be pretty similar, specific moves/techniques may not be.

IMO, Krav Maga is supposed to develop your reactions/responses/reflexes for WSHTF BUT whether or not a particular school or instructor actually does it may depend…

don

Re: Does KM have a standerdized curriculum?

IMO, Krav is a great place to start. I don’t think it’s got all the answers but I’m very comfortable teaching it to newbies.

YMMV when it comes to training – ANY style/system. Every place you go will have different instructors and training partners. Some places will be VERY VERY similar but it’s rare that you’ll find even two instructors at the same school who teach EXACTLY the same.

It doesn’t have to be pretty to be effective. When it’s real, it’s often not as pretty as you practiced.

One of the hardest things for newbies to figure out or recognize is realistic training/techniques (separating the good stuff from the crap) and sometimes good instructors from crap as well. Watch out for the “my way is the best way” or “my way is the only way”.

RE: standard curriculum, YMMV. Depends on what/whom you’re comparing. Krav Maga is practiced all over the world by lots of different people – different organizations, different instructors/students, styles of teaching/training, different techniques, etc. Curriculum as far as what kinds of scenarios or situations or attacks/dangers are being addressed through training are probably going to be pretty similar. What is being taught to respond to those threats and How it’s being trained may vary a lot. Principles should be pretty similar, specific moves/techniques may not be.

IMO, Krav Maga is supposed to develop your reactions/responses/reflexes for WSHTF BUT whether or not a particular school or instructor actually does it may depend…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: