Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Does Krav teach you how to fight a dog?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    lemarteau

My niece was attacked by a pit bull several years ago. I was not there when it happened, but if I were, I would not have been prepared.

Does KM have an answer as to what to do when a dog attacks you, or someone you love? An attack by a dog seems just about as likely as an attack by a person.

siayn

I would go for the armbar. :p

Seriously, I think the proble with dog attacks is that most people run away, which means you are pretty much giving in exactly to their instincts. In the wild, wolves and dogs hunt by chasing their prey and biting from behind at the most adventageous spot.

I personally would kick any dog that charges me. I have done it before and it is quite effective. Of course, you piss off the owner (who is probably ignoring the city/county leash laws).

If it got ahold of me, it would just be combatives just like I was fighting a human.

anonymous

I hear eye gouging is a good thing to do against a dog. I heard of a person doing that once (don’t remember the circumstances, though). If he is first charging you, just stand still, but if he actually attacks and starts biting, just do whatever, punching, eye gouging etc.

If he is much stronger and won’t let go, I’ve heard people say to just lie on the ground and basically offer them your neck to bite. Instinctively, they will think they’ve won and just leave (without biting it). But it sounds kind of risky to me.

prekarious1

vast majority of dogs that attack humans jump before biting you. When the dog jumps up, everything thing is exposed. A quick front kick to the throat will take the fight out of most dogs out there.

If you ever do have a confrontation with a dog, the basics to not getting bit are the same as when playing with fido at home, try your best to have everything come up under the dogs head as they have great difficulty seeing / avoiding any of these attacks. If you go from side, top, or straight in your gonna get your hand bit and possibly broken. Do not give the dog a limb to grab ( present your forearm ) to keep it busy, most full size dogs will crush your bones and its not that hard to avoid.

problem-bear

This is going to sound completely crazy but I assure you I’m serious. I know of two tactics, one is relatively harmless to yourself and the dog but has one drawback and you must NOT HESITATE AT ALL! When the dog lunges quickly and simultaniously with your hand flat(palm towards the dog’s mouth in a vertical position) strike out and grab the dogs collar or the loose skin of it’s cheek and neck and in combination push the dog’s head down and to the side as you step around onto the dog’s back so your legs are stradling it and grab onto the other cheek or side of the collar and push the dog’s head forward as you tighten your legs. You must use a lot of strength and hold on as tight as you can. From this position the dog cannot swing it’s head around to bite you but the problem is, you cannot let go and it will be a battle of who can hang on longer because due to instinct the dog will jump backwards and twist and generally animals have more energy and resolve than people do so hope to hell either the owner,humane society or cops are on their way! This move does work but on a vicious dog it is a life or death risk only. If you have a dog that likes to play rough you can actually practice this and assuming you and your dog love and trust eachother neither of you will get hurt but you have to let your own dog win sometimes or you’ll break it’s spirit and the game won’t be fun anymore.The reason you use a flat vertical palm when going for the dog’s \”scruff\” is that it really can’t bite you that way. Bear in mind in a real life attack situation things will happen fast and you’ve got a 50/50 shot but that’s better than nothing. Not to discredit anyone’s fighting skill but no one on this forum or anywhere for that matter can stop a full-blown attack from a Pitbull(or any related breed, AmStaff,Bull terrier ect.) a Tosa, Chow or a Rotty by kicking it. The dog has a wild instinct to fight to the death and won’t worry about a broken jaw or ribs until you’ve already finished bleeding to death! O.K., on to solution #2. Even crazier and more dangerous but once again through trial and error it has worked! (DO NOT PRACTICE THIS ON YOUR PET OR ANY FRIENDLY ANIMAL BECAUSE YOUR BOTH GOING TO GET HURT AND THE ANIMAL COULD EVEN BE KILLED, OR YOU FOR THAT MATTER!) When the dog rears up to bite, punch your hand as fast and as hard as you can right down it’s throat! Plain and Simple. This saved my dad when he was attacked by a lunatic Doberman. The dog started choking and puking and payed no further attention to my dad. Now I stress that both are dangerous and neither may work on the first try but when your fighting for your lor a loved one’s life you do what you have to and you will probably lose some blood as well. If you jam you hand down a dog’s throat, chances are you’re going to cut your hand to shit on the teeth but better your hand than neck or femoral artery! In the case of the first maneuver, I have owned 5 American Staffordshire Bull Terriers and 1 English Staff(Pitbull) and I wrestle a lot with the 5 friendly ones and perfected it in play. The English Staff was great when \”friendly\”, but was crazy and I had to use the collar/ scruff/leg grab a few times to save my ass until my parents could come control it! The key is to hold the head straight and out at the same time so it cannot swivel it’s head to bite in any direction. On another note I want to say that the breed takes an unneccessary bashing for nothing. These animals are very intelligent,loving and loyal and when treated with respect and love will be a gentle pet and steadfast protector. The problem is the owners. There are exceptions(as we had a dog that went nuts but we think the previous owners abused them as puppies,Sad!), but any dog will be vicious if trained to be. These dogs are prized by drug-dealers, ego-maniacle idiots and scumbags who run dog-fights and as such most of these animals are abused,tormented and neglected and as such are \”ruined\” and made to be killers. These assholes should not be allowed to have animals or children and if I had my way they’d be exe

ffdo

I have heard of the technique Bear offered about sticking your arm down his throat, and it is said to be effective, albeit dangerous. In a simularly dangerous move, put your forarm out, and while it is being mauled, push the dog down and on its back following on top with a full weight forarm to the dogs throat. Better if you have a heavy leather jacket on of course. Basically, you are trading one arm for your life, so try and give the dog your left one, unless you are a south paw of course. (Or get a concealed carry permit, then multiply .40 inch holes work well.)

switchback

Hi all, new to Krav here ( bout 2 months now, already addicted) but a long time dog person.

Here’s a great article written by a well known K9 handler and protection dog trainer on what he would do if attacked by a dog.
    http://www.leerburg.com/dogattack.htm

johnwhitman

This topic came up years ago. We do have some approaches…although they are more applications of principles than specific techniques.

The first thing to do is understand how a dog is built and how difficult it can be to deal with one empty-handed.

While the \”sacrifice your arm\” technique is a possibility, you have to understand what many dogs do: they will latch on and SHAKE, which means if you are off balance or the dog is large enough, you may be knocked off your feet. Dogs shake instinctively, and trained attack dogs do it very aggressively.

Attacking a dog’s head area is difficult because they have thick skulls and strong necks. If you do get latched onto, go for its eyes. If you can attack its body, go for the underside (yes, the groin…very KM!).

siayn

Wow, awesome article switchback. Thanks

caliwt

Pointed toe kick up and under to the solar plexus. This can kill a dog, so do not do it to a freiends or family animal. As mentioned, the bad ones that attack for real like to jump. This kick works good when they jump or just come low to bite. I used to practice nice useing the whole top of my foot against chest, to get the timing, but never with the toe.

I have had many, many dog encounters! They can jump from several meters to your head height. You can move out of the way once they jump, if you have time. I have had to grab them out of the air, when I was in the way of them attacking another dog in a truck.

A big Rottie attacked me once, knocked me down, came for me. I knew this dog and was feeding it for a friend who was away. It got jealous of another dog, fought with her then came for me. I grabed a hand full of ear and twisted it tighted around my fist and then slamed his head into the floor, as I gained a side mount. The Grab and twist both hurt him and also prevented him from turning his head to bite that arm. The slaming his head let him know I was still boss, as well as the double knee pin. I let him up a little, he growled, I slamed again, after a few times he believed me. Then I held him down but let up a little on his ear, and we had a little talk 😉

I was alpha for him from then on!!!

Dogs react to you if you know your the alpha, as most wanna be the beta anyway. Alot of dog problems result when there is no alpha member in the household and the dog gets confused. If you are not really an Alpha then any tricks I tell you to use, like licking your lips and staring, will just get you in more trouble. If your are an Alpha, then you won’t generally have much trouble. 😆

but the pointy toe to the sternum hard and deep, that works.

(edit:I read article, very good. jsut wanted to paste this in. If you do go down and are being mauled, \”The only thing that may have worked would have been to drop to the ground, curl up in a ball with your hands clasped behind your neck and your arms and elbows protecting your neck and throat. Not many people can keep their wits about them when they are being bitten this badly. They go into flight mode and try and get away. \”)

anonymous

Groin kick is good. But what if it’s a lady dog?

nancypants

I don’t know about a lady dog, but the general theory that a groin kick to a woman might not be effective? Not true. Definitely not true. 🙂 Obviously it doesn’t have the same effect as with a guy, but I feel pretty confident saying that a well placed kick would put the average woman on the ground (FYI, Burt, if you’re reading this, don’t think I’ve forgotten about my revenge).

anonymous

I have a fool proof defense. I always carry a bag of kittens, and when attacked by a dog, I hurl kittens at the dog to destract it then escape!

clfmak

Now we’re in a realm of fighting where I have more real world experience. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been attacked by dogs on both hands. I have scars on my left foot from a coyote bite from when I was a kid- several puncture scars, and some big ones where the thing grabbed and shook, leaving cut marks.
    The vast majority of the time, I have been able to get away. Not by running- by getting on top of stuff, usually cars. One time a chow ran out of a house one night when I was out walking, and charged at me. I jumped over a hedge. It ran around the hedge and I jumped back over. This happened about three times, then the owner came and got it. I remember beforehand I assumed a low fighting stance (like I was going to grapple) but then thought it through (in about two seconds) and decided not to fight this thing. http://www.coldsteel.com/95sseries.html -seems like a good option.
    Since I started training in martial arts, I’ve gone into a similar fighting stance about half the time. On two occasions, I pulled out a knife in a reverse grip and assumed a left leg forward stance. Fortunately I never had to use it, but if I did, I would go for the ribcage just behind the front shoulder- according to Lynn Thompson, this is where to hit pretty much anything when hunting.
    One of these incidents was very scary. I was walking along some railroad tracks with a friend of mine, miles from anywhere. In the middle of nowhere, there was a junkyard full of boats. Inside the fence we could see a bunch of big junkyard dogs. Then we see one running towards us that’s not inside the fence. It was still pretty far away so I had time to wrap my left arm in a jacket, and I took out my knife. I waited for it with my left arm forward in a horizontal position, ready for it to bite me. Suddenly, it stopped. It wouldn’t cross the railroad tracks- it just stood there growling. I guess it was trained to patrol the perimeter. After that occurence, I started carrying a sjambok in the frame of my backpack on these adventures.
    A few months ago, my dad had an incident with a pit bull. He was outside with his dog, and a pit bull from down the street got loose and started attacking my dad’s dog. My dad hit it several times with running soccer kicks with boots on (and he’s a pretty big guy) to the ribs, and it wouldn’t let go. Then, he tried to pry its jaws open, cutting his hands up pretty bad. Finally, he shoved a garden hose down its mouth and cranked the water, figuring it would have to let go or suffocate (quick thinking). That got it off, and I guess it ran home. In my incident with the coyote, I remember it took me down and I started kicking it in the head with the instep of my other foot. It didn’t even blink.
    I question the effectiveness of kicking the dog with a toe kick in mid air. Its like stopping a double leg takedown with a knee- its a sound theory and it can work well, but you need very exact timing and if you miss, the attacker’s all over you while you’re on one leg. Also, as I mentioned, a dog in killing mode can take lots of abuse. You definitely can move out of the way of a jumping dog, though, and the timing’s not nearly as difficult. I’ve even managed it like a matador numerous times, but the running starts will get shorter and shorter, and the dog will start getting closer.

konrad109

Dog bones are much stronger than human, especially the skull. I used to have a boxer that I played rough with and we’d butt heads accidentally all the time. I would be in searing pain and he would still be playing. You can hit a pitbull with a metal baton and it wont be affected.

I volunteered at animal shelter that would get a lot of pitbulls. Petting a fighting pit bull is like petting a thin carpet on top of a cement floor. Non pitbull dogs do have softer (flatter) ribcages on the side so a really good kick might break em. But with pit bull is nearly impossible to fight it off. The only thing you can do is try not to get taken down to the ground and go for the eyes and nose and wait till help arrives. Id rather fight two rottweilers than 1 pit bull.

There is a video somewhere on the net that shows a cop being attacked. He gives it a kick just under the throat as it charges. It jumps up with the kick and keeps going after him. This only gives him enough time to take out his tazer. The dog actually thought about the tazer for a sec and then it ran away with the taser prongs still in it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: