Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Doh, torn medial meniscus, out 4-6 weeks!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    fwbulldog

Damn. My Krav Maga experience was brief, but brilliant. I got in about 5 weeks of training (2/3 sessions per week) before I tore up my knee.

I think I injured it doing round kicks to the knee. I was completely exhausted from the super-circuits, and had bad form, but was still trying to give it 120%.

I was kicking with my weaker left leg, pivoting on my right leg, and trying to develope more power than I really have with my weak side.

Pop!

Anybody else had to recover from this type of injury? Ortho says two weeks to schedule surgery, and 3-4 weeks before I’m off restricted activity. Disappointing really, I was having a great time learning KM.

Wish me luck.
    K

wim

Try a torn lateral meniscus and a torn ACL from stepping backward during choke defenses in about the 3rd month of my Krav training… Sucks bad. I’ve had one surgery for the meniscus about a month ago, but I still need to have my ACL reconstructed, except I’m worried about being immobile because my father’s quite sick and I might need to go see him at a moment’s notice. The ACL surgery scares the pants off of me — stealing ligament from the kneecap, drilling holes through my thigh and shin bones, and threading the ligament through. It takes months before that ligament gets the blood supply back, so the surgery could easily fail. Plus, it just sounds painful. The arthroscopic one I had to fix my meniscus was painful enough… I’m tempted just to leave it alone.

topitbull

Get well soon man. Injuries suck!

I put my back out a month ago, and missed a week of KM. It killed me!!!
    I couldn’t imagine missing Months worth of it!

jjbklb

The frustrating thing about damaging the meniscal pad in your knee is that they never heal.You need an operation to cut out the damaged part of the meniscus.Almost all meniscal surgery cases will eventually get arthritis several years later as a result of loosing part of that menisical knee-joint cushion.

Now hope is at hand.A veterinarian at University of Missouri-Columbia has received FDA approval for a process that regenerates 90% of the meniscus without drugs.

James Cook DVM,a MU prof of veterinary medicine & surgery,performed the ground-breaking research for DePuy Orthopedics Inc. for a process that encourages the meniscus to repair itself.,while minimizing progression of osteoarthritis for the patient.

He used tissue engineering & biological stimulation through the implantation of a scaffold derived from pig intestines to show the meniscus where it needs to regrow.

The procedure has already worked in 300 dogs.This year,20 human patients will receive the procedure by surgeons in Memphis & Indianapolis.Following a successful first phase,the trials will be opened nationwide before being available to all patients.

The surgery is not limited to new injuries.Cook believes that,in select cases,the procedure might help older adults who experienced damaged knees years before.In addition,there have been no major side-effects reported from implantation of the scaffold.

garddawg

I had my medial meniscus and medial ligament repaired 2.5 years ago. My doctors perscription was simply no running for 6 weeks. I questioned him extensively and he said that the only thing that would injure the repair was the pounding of running. I asked about kicking and he was fairly quick to add that to the list, but he gave me the go ahead to do whatever else I wanted or felt I could do. I was in the gym the day after surgery. On the bike three days later, and doing full squats (grabbing something solid for support) and back teaching KM within one week. I met the doctor for review and he said it would be a waste for me to go to PT. That after 10 days I was where most people were at 6 weeks. My knee gives me no trouble now. I am able to squat with load, deadlift 2X my bodyweight, run and kick without pain. My advice would be to talk with the doc again, follow his advice, but within his advice be very aggressive about your rehab.
    BTW, I was 42 when I had this surgery.

kmtakinkm

My advise is listen to your body. Your knee will feel extremely exposed for some time after your surgery. It will take awhile for you to regain the confidence in that joint. Follow the Dr’s rehab orders and when you begin to feel confident (you can even experiment at home to see if there is pain when you do a move) go ahead and go back to class. Again, tuck your ego and listen to your body. When I have come back from injuries, I made sure my KM teacher and partners knew about my injury and limitiations and they were great and respectfully cautious. Also do not be afraid of sitting out a drill thay may hurt or set you back (For example, when I injured my groin I would not do ground fighting or some kicks.) If you set out you can always do pull ups, push ups, sit ups etc to help maintain your hear rate and get you back in shape.

Good luck…

fwbulldog

thanks

I’m certainly not glad that you guys were injured, but it’s nice to feel like I’m not alone, and that other people have gone through this.

I could have been a lot worse. ACL, MCL, etc.

I’ve never had any kind of knee problems before, but I’m not afraid of pain, and I’m ready to get this over with and get back to getting whooped at fight class! KM is too much fun to sit out.

Sounds like intelligent, agressive rehab is the way to go. That I can do!

I’ll be back in no time.

K

dalamar

Wim,

I dont’ know your lifestyle, age, gender, etc. But I would suggest not getting surgery on the ACL, at least for a while until you know for sure you can’t live without it.

If you have surgery, you will have to go through PT anyways. Why not just skip the surgery and just do the PT. Quite a few years ago, my mom tore her ACL while we were on an extensive backpacking trip. She’s still never had surgery on it. After three months of PT with good therapist she was running, biking, hiking, and backpacking (lightly). She only notices problems with it when the muscles around her knee are less in shape (stops working out).

wim

Re:

quote \”dalamar\:

Wim,

I dont’ know your lifestyle, age, gender, etc. But I would suggest not getting surgery on the ACL, at least for a while until you know for sure you can’t live without it.

Well, I am considering not having it, although my doctor, who certainly has told me that a lot of people really shouldn’t get the surgery, has also told me that I’m taking quite a risk continuing with things like Krav Maga, snowboarding, squatting, etc, without having the surgery. Basically, my knee isn’t structurally sound right now, and hard kicking or pivoting could tear more ligaments. Still… I’m not eager to have that surgery…

kurtuan

wim, I partially tore my ACL several years ago and they \”scoped\” it to clean it up. A couple of years later I reinjured it, completely tearing the ACL. I held off on the surgery for a couple of years and rehabbed my knee on my own. When I finally had the reconstruction done my recovery was relatively quick: I was off crutches within two weeks and completely recovered within about 6 months. The doctor credited my quick recovery to the fact that my muscles were strong before the surgery and I began rehab the day after surgery (in the hospital bed). I would suggest doing some rehab before the surgery as it might cut down on your overall recovery time. I think I was about 28 when I had the reconstruction so my age may have helped as well. Of course everyone is different so maybe this wouldn’t be the best path for you, but I’m happy I rehabbed before the surgery… Good Luck.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: