Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Dr Jekyl/Mr.Hyde Syndrome

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    andre

Its been apparent to me that to be succesful when it comes to self-defense, you have to have split peronalities. Hence the Jekyl/Hyde reference. In everyday life people have to maintain a constant decorum of civility. Anything else is looked upon as being crude, animalistic and deplorable.

Look at professional fighters. Most are gregarious, fun to be around, and social butterflies. But when it comes time to enter the ring, the mid-brain takes over. The only goal is simple, win, only way to do that is by beating the other guy up, bad. That nice guy persona fades to the back recesses of the mind, and the split personality that is strong enough to do what has to be done, and fits best in the environment, emerges.

I’ll use the fight from the most recent Contender episode. Anthony seemes like a nice guy. And when he found out that his kids were going to be there at the fight after thinking they couldn’t make it, he broke down and cried and couldn’t speak for a brief moment. Nice guy right. He gets in the ring with Brent, and the A@# kicking is stopped only by the bell and the ref. People like him, and people that get SD, seperate what should be done, and what needs to get done.

Side note, about the same fight, notice what makes a big difference. Anthony was fighting for something(which is also critical in SD), his wife and kids. Where as Brent, though he felt God was behind him, didn’t have the same purpose driven goal as Anthony did.

I’m short on time now, so anyone feel free to add.

garddawg

Good Post. At our gym we call it the switch. You can be the nicest guy in the world until someone threaten the people you love, then you flip the switch and become something entirely different. I recently read something interesting which relates to this. The post was generally said that most people are sheep and don’t have the capacity to defend themselves against the wolves in society.
    \”\”Then there are the wolves,\” the old war veteran said, \”and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.\” Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

\”Then there are sheepdogs,\” he went on, \”and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.\” If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.\”

armor-all

Wow. That’s profound, garddawg.

garddawg

The original post was on the CrossFit site made by a police officer who teaches Kali. I couldn’t find it to post a link here, but I had pasted it to our site if you want to read the entire post.
    http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: