Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

One of the things I’d like to see most on the instructor forum would be an exchange of the drills that work best in classes.

One that I’ve been using lately involves a holder with a kick shield who holds for a front kick to a vertical target followed up with a knee strike. This teaches a lot of practical things. The kicker has to establish correct distance for each strike, deliver a good penetrating kick, maintain a good stance, obtain a proper grasp on the padholder for the knee and then throw the knee. It has helped to teach flow and aggressiveness.

Please post some of the techniques that you folks find to work best. Thanks!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Drills Discussion

Heres a few from my notes I like.

I didn’t make them up I grabbed from the website.

Punches, Sprawls, and Self Defense
    Reaction and Fatigue Drill

– Pad Holder makes their partner react with either 2 punches or 2 kicks using a tombstone. The puncher needs to react fast and with all their power, sending strong strikes. In between they should be passive (you can even have them close their eyes).
    – Pad holder can call “Sprawl!” whenever they want. The puncher must sprawl, get up and send either 2 punches or 2 kicks (whichever the pad holder is holding for).
    – To add to this drill, have a 3rd person attack either while they’re standing passive or they’re striking. Depending on what level the student is at, you can attack with chokes, grabe, or even weapons.

Punching drill:
    Have both the puncher and the pad hold start on the same side of the room. Pad holder is facing the puncher. The puncher is to deliver very strong straight punches forcing the pad holder to move backward across the room. Students should remain in there fighting stance through out the movement of the punches having weight in every punch. Each student should go from one side and back to starting point.

Kicking drill:
    2 People ñ 1 pad
    Have both the kick and the pad holder start on the same side of the
    room: pad holder is facing the kicker. The kick is to deliver the front to vertical target landing forward in opposite stance and continue to kick the pad with the rear leg landing for ward. This will force the student to move across the room. Be sure that once they have landed forward with the kicking leg that they are in a good stance. Each student should go from one side and back to starting point.

3 Person Fatigue and Self Defense Drill
    (3 people, 1 tombstone, lots of energy!)

* Pad Holder is at one end of the room, one person lays face down on the gound at the other end (they can be doing push ups or leg lifts instead of laying down for more difficulty)
    * Instructor yells “Go!” and the person laying down sprints to the pad holder (pad holder can hold for any strike you wish)
    * They strike ALL OUT for at least 5-10 seconds before they are attacked (Instructor picks self defense)
    *Person defends and attacker is now the person doing laying face down and they switch rolls.
    * Each person should go at least 3 times through

Reaction Drill:
    360’s and Punches
    Two People and Hand Mitts

– Puncher is in passive stance. The pad holder hold the mitts to their chest.
    – Pad holder will either pop up one or both mitts for punches, or they can swing a mitt at their partner’s head or body for 360’s.
    – The pad holder should make their motions fast and deliberate so their partner has to react quickly

Variations:
    – The puncher can stand passive and have their eyes closed. When the pad holder wants them to react they can yell or they can make contact first
    – Use different techniques and different ranges like elbows, inside defenses, etc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: