Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Dropping the arm when you kick

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I don’t know about anyone else but I am CONSTANTLY working on keeping my hands up when I throw a kick. I have been shown on more than one occasion why this is necessary.

So here’s the thing that KILLS me…

Watch GSP throw his “high kicks” in this video
    It’s about 10 minutes long so you have to have time or scan through to see them but the dude ALWAYS drops the arm.

http://view.break.com/403188

As I’m watching this I’m thinking to myself. Why doesn’t that dude step in, stuff the kick, and drop GSP with a hard right? If I were in a real fight and saw that more than once I’d be looking to finish quickly the next time he threw the kick.

I know it is easier said than done, but is there any reason (from a KM point of view) why this guy shouldn’t step in? Or is this just another example of people doing “sport” rather than self defense.

leejam99

Re: Dropping the arm when you kick

thats a great counter and the one that i would do against a round kick high or low. GSP actually does it in the first few seconds. Sean throws a low roundkick, GSP takes it and throws a hard right. For a high round kick, i block to that side than counter with the same side first. for example:

High round kick to my left side comes. I make the block, right away step in and throw a left hook right straight combo. if it comes to my right side, block, right straight left hook. Key is the timing. You have to throw your punches as soon as you block, before he brings his leg back down.

As for kick to the leg, since you don’t have to block and you can just take it… step in with a right striaght as you see GSP do it in the beginning.

James

clfmak

Although theoretically not a good idea, a lot of very good fighters that are specifically kickers that drop their arm, because it aids in the hip rotation. Look at Cung Le or Buakaw.
    http://www.prokarateweekly.com/images/Buakaw%20Shish.JPG

I think part of the reason they don’t get rushed is because a very fast leg kick doesn’t give much of an opportunity to counter, and when a highly trained kickboxer throws a hard leg kick, it can be extremely disruptive. A good fighter will also keep his other hand up to guard.

giant-killer

I think in Muay Thai people will drop one of their arms to get more power. We try to keep both arms up, but it’s hard to do sometimes. I guess if you are standing sideways and with your upper body tilted away, it would be hard for the opponent to punch you, even if you did drop one arm.

emil

Well, here’s my take on it. In MT, the arm position during kicking is pretty intricate. Where the kicking side arm swings, and where the opposite side goes to protect. But they also spend lots and lots of time learning how to kick. In KM there usually isn’t the luxury for most beginning classes to spend so much time on hand positioning. Frankly it’s easier to just keep both up.It’s easier to teach and easier to do. The kick mechanics are hard enough to grasp as it is. Thus, when get the basics down, you can spend time choosing where and how you use your arms. One more thing-a good round kick is usually set up well , either with other kicks, feints, punches, footwork. If you get jumped somewhere, it’s not likely you will have time for all of that or even thinking about hand placement. sometimes, it’s better just to hit with something and keep hitting until you’re safe.

kmcat

This was actually discussed a bit today during my noon KM fitness class. We were doing some drills with bags with punch kick combos.

Our fearless leader spoke of the fact that bio-mechanically droping the arm and pivoting to throw the kick is “more correct” in the sense that when you walk or run as your arm’s motion moves opposite the leg’s motion. However, he went on to explain that you have to train yourself to keep your arms/hands up to protect your head, since dropping the arm like that opens lines of attack to your jaw and head.

jjk

With my other martial arts experience, I too asked myself this question “what would be best in a real fight”.

You can keep both hands up, you can put the kicking side hand down to generate more power, but you can ALSO keep it inside and low, and put the other one inside and high… to protect your centerline.

I use all three, but don’t keep both hands up to protect the face a lot and normally go with one up one down. Usually because if I’m kicking them, then they’re pretty far away from me so punches aren’t going to be coming quickly and if they jam they often try to grab the leg and then we have one hand a peice. Sure it’s susceptible to everything it’s susceptible to but I’m just throwing that combination out there too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: