Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Effectiveness against trained fighters…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jdub

So I’m almsot sure I will be taking up Krav Maga as my martial art of choice. I’m just wondering if Krav MAga is effective not only against untrained thugs who will try to rob you in the street, but if anyone knows its effectiveness against trained fighters, like in an MMA setting? Because i know that in the higher levels of Krav Maga they start to teach you offensive tactics along with the self-defense tactics you learn for the earlier portion.

johnwhitman

Krav Maga, at early stages, is not designed to help you fight someone in an mma setting. You’ll learn to fight (attacking and defending punches, kicks, and very basic takedowns, along with chokes, headlocks, etc.) ut the context is surprise attacks and positions of disadvantage, not an mma setting.

The more you train, the more you’ll learn to deal with this sort of thing, but the focus is on self defense rather than prepared fighting.

topitbull

IMO you will be efficient against a trained fighter, because Krav has many Muay Thai influenced kicks knees elbows, and a similar stance with the hands open being the only real considerable difference.

Re:

quote \”TOPitBull\:

IMO you will be efficient against a trained fighter, because Krav has many Muay Thai influenced kicks knees elbows, and a similar stance with the hands open being the only real considerable difference.

Many natrual thai fighters (as in, thai fighters from the east) fight with an open hand stance in preparation for a neck clinch. It may not be seen as much by western thai fighters, since boxing over here is more readily available.

As far as taking on a trained fighter, I’ve argued this many times on the old forum. I agree with exactly with John Whitman said, but if you’re training boxing/muay thai for standup, and some form of effective grappling on the ground (wrestling, judo, sambo, bjj) then you yourself could be considered a trained fighter. I think simply because you’d find yourself training in all 3 phases of combat at the same time though, you’ll have to train much longer to become proficient in any one phases (standup, clinch, or on the ground).

brogers

Krav maga against a trained martial artist

I am a Tae Kwon Do Practitioner recently a student of Krav Maga attended our class and was sharing some self defense Techniques with us I enjoyed it alot but while we were attempting some self defense techniques there were questions raised about foot positions from the attacker in reguards to hair grabs from behind Does it matter if the attacker is in a fixed martial arts stance? The statement was made that the technique was not intended to defend against a martial artist I did not belive that to be accurate ? any input would help thanks B rogers

brogers

Re: Krav maga against a trained martial artist

quote \”brogers\:

I am a Tae Kwon Do Practitioner recently a student of Krav Maga attended our class and was sharing some self defense Techniques with us I enjoyed it alot but while we were attempting some self defense techniques there were questions raised about foot positions from the attacker in reguards to hair grabs from behind Does it matter if the attacker is in a fixed martial arts stance? The statement was made that the technique was not intended to defend against a martial artist I did not belive that to be accurate ? any input would help thanks B rogers

How do I view replys to my post??? new to your board Thanks

la-revancha

\”There were questions raised about foot positions from the attacker in reguards to hair grabs from behind Does it matter if the attacker is in a fixed martial arts stance?\”

What exactly do you mean when you say \”fixed martial arts stance\”? Hair grab defenses (from the front) are intended to apply leverage on the attacker’s wrist. Foot positions should not substantially affect the defense. Simultaneous counterattacks from hair grabs from the side and the back may be complicated depending on the attacker’s stance, but the initial defense should still work irrespective of stance.

As a practicing MA/SD practitioner, ask yourself the following question: Do you think a trained Traditional Martial Artist would initially/instinctively attack with a hair grab in a self-defense situation?

brogers

Re:

quote \”La Revancha\:

\”There were questions raised about foot positions from the attacker in reguards to hair grabs from behind Does it matter if the attacker is in a fixed martial arts stance?\”

What exactly do you mean when you say \”fixed martial arts stance\”? Hair grab defenses (from the front) are intended to apply leverage on the attacker’s wrist. Foot positions should not substantially affect the defense. Simultaneous counterattacks from hair grabs from the side and the back may be complicated depending on the attacker’s stance, but the initial defence should still work irrespective of stance.

As a practicing MA/SD practitioner, ask yourself the following question: Do you think a trained Traditional Martial Artist would initially/instinctively attack with a hair grab in a self-defense situation?

No A serious real martial artist would not but there are allways exeptions . One reason I posed the question we were trying to learn defenses from rear hair grabs which seemed to work if we turned in one direction better than the other depending on the attackers foot position . The Individual sharing the technique may not have been properly prepared to answer the questions as he is new in Krav Maga . While we are here how long does it typicall take to prepare someone to properly teach Krav Maga ?

theironman

Once you are at a ‘level’ you’ll realize that a kick is just a kick and a punch is still a punch regardless of what system or style you take. You’ll also discover that like any other performing art or motor skill, it’s perishable.

Krav’s intent is to teach someone to wage some soft of defense whether it be a technique followed by a combative or by the Nike option.

What I’ve discovred about the Krav philosophy is that taking some sort of action (even if it’s not exact) is better than not taking any action at all.

Cheers!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: