Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Electroylytes and training?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    armor-all

Giantkiller,
    IMHO, drinks like Gatorade are more important for electrolyte replacement than they are for the carbs. And, you can do the same thing by eating fruit and energy bars. But liquids are easier on the digestive system, and some people get nauseated eating during a long workout session. It’s just another product you can use based on your own personal restrictions.

rosie

Recent research says that too much water during intense exercise can be a bad thing – at best, it makes you slower. At worst, it can be life-threatening:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/14/health/14water.html?ex=1114228800&en=b69b67acda66e5b4&ei=5070

This study is in reference to marathon runners, but a krav workshop + test is about as long as a marathon.

kravron

Agreed,
    I have done the Yellow belt test two times now. The first test I drank only water, and found myself dragging and tired and even carrying alot of water in my stomach twards the end of the test. The second time, I drank only gatoraide (full strength but will probably dillute in the future) and I found the test alot easier and my energy levels higher with less exhaustion at the end. Just my personal opinion on the subject.

myaslan

Has anyone tried Smart Water? It has the electrolytes without the sugar. And what are these gel shots?

leftie79

I don’t think I could ever drink half water half gatorade. I think it has just the right amount of flavor.

anonymous

If you are looking for something without sugar or carbs, there is a product called Smart Water, it’s water and elecrolytes.
    http://www.glaceau.com/

leftie79

I don’t like that Smart Water at all. I went into a health food grocery store one day to get something for lunch and I bought the water with my meal and it did not have much flavor like I was hoping. I think it was the strawberry banana I had.

anonymous

Yesterday I have read an article when Mastui – kyokushinkai – in 1986 made the fight against 100 karateka in about 140 minuts. Fist af all it is amazing. Second of all, the article mentioned many times how the founder of the style – Mas Oyama – told Matsui not to drink anything.

The report also talked about the guy in the second part was amazingly tired and dried out. When all fight finished – won about 75 percent – Matsui was taken to hospital as he dried out.

While respecting Matsui’s effort, I still dont understand, why dont drink during this? For me, insane. Anyway, just a comment.

anonymous

I just got the regular non flavored SmartWater. It had no taste. Personally, I don’t like sweet drinks when I am thirsty. On thing I have found that helps me a lot is hydrating before class, when I go to the noon class I start drinking water when I get up and probably have 4- 12oz glasses at least before I class.

siayn

The only problem with SmartWater (or Gatorade for that matter) is that it costs $2 every time I workout. I got to Krav 4-5 times a week…classes already cost alot so adding an additional $50 a month in drinks for class is painful.

I use this stuff. I buy it at Vitamin Cottage here in Denver.

http://www.alacer.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.exe?mdb=/products.mdb,tbl=products,DB_code=108,DBCOMP=ABS,template=/products/returntitle.htm

It is an electrolyte mix with no suger. Mix your own Smart-Water for about 25 cents a bottle.

If the link doesnt work just got to http://www.alacer.com and look for their electrolyte mix

anonymous

Siayn
    I agree, Smart water is TOO expensive! I hate gatorade or any of that other flavored stuff.
    I’ll give that ElectroMIX a try, thanks for the tip!

lambsmarch

I am heavy already, and I have a really slow metabolism. Gatorade has way too many calories in it for me, at full strength. So I dilute it half and half. Of course, it costs half when you do this too, or goes twice as far for the price if you want to look at it that way.

I think drinking fluids the night before is much sounder than a stomach full of fluid while you’re trying to be active. A few sips here and there do wonders; it’s a ‘mental break’; it gives your vital signs a chance to slow down some for a little; it helps control hunger pangs,which can be distracting.

Proper ventilation and good climate control goes a long way toward a good training or testing event; pick your locations carefully and ASK for the air conditioning to be turned up or a fan turned on if you have to do that, don’t be shy, and avoid places (and spread the word) that don’t/won’t cooperate. That might positively effect the amount of fluids you lose and that you have to replace.

anonymous

I found ElectroMIX at a local health store, $8.49 for a box of 36 packets which comes out to about 24 cents a bottle, and it isn’t sweet, tastes like water with a little lemon squeezed in it! Good stuff, thanks again Siayn!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: