Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Encounter tonight with bicycle thief!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi guys

I’m new here, writing from Tel Aviv, Israel. I have never formally taken Krav Maga classes but I am interested in it and I once received like an introductory lesson while at school. Despite no official training I am a pretty good fighter and a lot of methods that I developed myself (attacks, defenses etc) correspond very closely with stuff I invented while a kid and growing up (in South Africa). Until today I have never been in a proper street fight (and hopefully never will have to be) but I have had a few scuffles here and there (especially when I was at school) and usually the aggressors were very sorry that they picked on me and left me alone!

Anyway, so it’s very late at night and I need to wake up in less than 5 hours but I just have to get this off my chest and ask what your opinions are:

I went downtown tonight on my bicycle to do some work distributing flyers outside a concert hall, and I secured my bike with a lock to the bicycle rack there. I didn’t bother taking the seat off, and I tied the helmet up too. I wasn’t too worried because I would be working outside very nearby and I was sure that if anybody would steal my bike I’d see them.

Well it turns out that I could not have been more correct! It was near the end of my shift and I see a guy on a bike with the same helmet as mine. Ok that doesn’t mean much but it aroused my suspicions. I then see that the bike is the same model as mine, a Trek 3700, again doesn’t mean much it’s the most popular model bike in Israel. But I thought it was worthwhile to be sure and to confront him in case it is my bike and also get a closer look.

He was riding round in a slow circle, not sure how to get out (there is building construction where normally it’s open) and I caught him on his way out to the road, noticing that the seat looked like mine too.

\”Hey bro!\” I called out, and he stopped and looked around. I walked quite close to him and stated \”that’s my bicycle\”. He looked quite bemused by my statement and said \”How do you know that?\”

He moved his hand and I saw the bell like I have on my bike. Again it’s very popular. Also the helmet hung funny, but again that doesn’t mean much. But I was 90% sure it’s my bike. \”That is my bike. Get off it NOW\” I shouted at him.

I should point out he was a small guy (I’m small too but very quick and powerful) and I wasn’t worried about his physical presence. I was 100% sure I could get him off my bike by a swift kick to the midriff (he would topple onto the cars next to him) but I was NOT 100% sure it was MY bike.

As I shouted at him to get off my bike so he kindof looked at me and then darted off as fast as he could. I ran after him, now 100% sure that it was my bike of course, and managed to chase him down to the main road, where I had no chance of catching him.

There are many more details to this story which maybe I’ll post later, but my question is kinda like this…not really a question but like an observation:

Despite my being physically ready and able to demount him from my bike, the psychological aspect was overwhelming: What if I’m wrong and it’s not my bike and I hurt an innocent civilian, and if I hurt him and I don’t hurt him proper then he could hurt me, which takes me back to my previous point. And even if I dismounted him, should I let him run away scot free or try to pin him, call security and arrest him? If I do that could I face revenge from him (and his possible cronies?) if I appear as a witness in court?

The biggest problem was that 1% of doubt that it was my bike. It’s still haunting me. I suppose I could have blocked him, but I would have to have walked past him at an unacceptably close range. I could have blocked the rear wheel with my hand but it would have also left me very vulnerable. Also I realized afterwards that he almost definitely had wire cutters in his left hand, it was covered by a sweater he had over it. He could have bashed me with those or worse yet cut my fingers or something (I’m a professional violinist).

giant-killer

So, WAS it your bike? 🙂

Hmmm, interesting situation. Looks like you may have done a good thing by confronting him, yet not using physical violence. Not sure about the laws in Israel, but in the US, even if it was your bike, if you had attacked him and hurt him, maybe you could have been arrested as well. Or he could have sued you later.

I wonder if there were any markings on the bike that could have erased all doubts as to whether it was yours or not? If you had been certain, it might have given you more confidence to pursue the guy. Maybe you could have grabbed the bike, block his path, tell him firmly to get off or you would call the police. Just intimidate him (if you were bigger, easier to do). Maybe you could have used a cell phone to call the cops, or maybe hail a security guard if there was someone nearby. Or attract the attention of other people. Anything that might make him uncomfortable and want to get out of there, leaving the bike behind.

Of course, watching him closely would have been important, to make sure he doesn’t pull a weapon. In the end, it’s just a bike and your safety is the most important thing of all.

mara-jade

Welcome Rockface!

There are others here who have no center to train at but if you’re interested in KM, you’re definitely welcome 😀

For me, no property is worth your life. Yes you confronted him, but what if he had some sort of deadlier weapon (knife, gun), then would you have known how to defend against those? If they just want your property, let the punk have it. If they’re going to attack me, my friends or my family, I would certainly defend myself or them.

Glad to read you came out ok 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: