Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    crash20

Hey, I am sure I asked this question already, just not sure if I asked it here. So I will try again does anyone know anything about epilepsy and sparring. I don’t think there is a problem with doing the techniques but what about sparring. My school uses gloves but not head gear and the information I’m finding on the web has been conflicting. I am not at that level yet but working hard and I am still into it but as this Diagnosis is new to me I am not sure.

oldkmdude

Re: epilepsy

Medical advice is one of those things where you generally want to ask an expert rather than a bunch of random strangers on the internet. Your neurologist can give you a much better answer than any of us. That said, people with epilepsy have a lower seizure threshold and should generally avoid activities that lower it even further (like getting hit in the head).

crash20

Well this is why I ask. The neurologist made a similar statement. Yet I read things were guys with this disorder are practicing contact sports. One of them was doing some sort of Martial Art some are doing things like football. In their cases it seems they just have to work with the understanding that they have to somehow keep watch. So my thought is I’m training to learn to protect myself not to be in a competition. If I am ever attacked no one will say wait wait do you have epilepsy in which case I need to know how to protect my head and deliver a punch. So how do people with disabilities train.

quasior

My daughter who has epilepsy does Krav Maga and my younger son who has epilepsy (too young for KM) does karate. As long as your instructor is aware it is fine. Especially if it is controlled.

You may have to wear protective head gear at times but the important thing is you can protect yourself and your noggin if you were attacked would out weigh risk in class, I imagine. The intent of class members should be to support each other!

crash20

Thanks Quasior, I feel the same way. I have several physical issues. One is a former and now not as stable broken leg from ten years ago and now this epilepsy stuff. It would be devastating enough to be attacked by someone or someones let alone to have an episode as a result of an attack or to reinjury my leg. So it seems to me that I need to know not alone how to defend myself but how to protect my head and my leg. By the way I did speak to one of the instructors the other day and he was very positive about it. His comments were that other people have certain issue that require attention but they are able to participate. I should talk to the head of the school. I may have to wear headgear and limit my sparring which I have not done fully yet. So it seems like there may still be a way.

quasior

Good to hear you have an inclusive instructor – in my experience they are more than willing to accommodate individual needs. My daughter has recently had a small amount of break through seizures, which means she needs her meds upped probably because she’s still a teen, and teens grow! This actually happened in class last night and she stepped down for the last 10 minutes or so which was sparring. Our instructor is fantastic and works around all our needs though and while strict isn’t harsh or unreasonable. We all feel so much more able to handle ourselves in a fight now, and to protect ourselves/others. I hope you gain that confidence soon!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: