Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Explaining Krav to Dr’s

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    zen4me

Long story short – got hit by an SUV and spent the night in hospital with a concussion. That was three weeks ago and I am still experiencing mild dizziness when I lay down/get up from prone position. The plan is to see a Neurologist next week (earliest appt available).

But…I need help explaining what all is involved with Krav so that I can get a more informed opinion from him on when I can return. I’m sorely missing my KMDC peeps and classes and at this point really think working out would be more beneficial to my wellbeing (mentally) than not with provisions.

Can someone give me a better explanation for what Krav is, than my standard “its kick ass!”

Thanks

satilan

Re: Explaining Krav to Dr’s

I had to explain Krav Maga to my neurologist lately.
    No doubt, kinda difficult.
    The key is to keep it short and simple so that they can understand.

“I train in Krav Maga, it is an Israeli self defense system”.
    “It involves high intensity drills and sometimes some fighting”
    “When we fight we mostly wear protective gear, including headgear and puffy gloves”

this last piece would interest a neurologist the most and you would probably be asked if you get hit a lot in the head. This is when personal experience comes in. I don’t get hit in the head a lot at all… I told my Dr. that I maybe got hit in the head “stongly” about a dozen times in the last year… and that it is never too bad…

Hope this helps.

zen4me

Satilan,
    Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate the help. 🙂

rich-f

I know this doctor thing all too well. I would go as far as showing them the website and/or one of the krav books or send them a Youtube link. Do not take anything for granted when telling them about Krav. One of the reasons it took me a few years to get back to KM instead of a few months was that the doctors said they understood but really did not.

jburtonpdx

quote Satilan:

this last piece would interest a neurologist the most and you would probably be asked if you get hit a lot in the head.
    Hope this helps.

My response would be a resounding “I dont remember”

satilan

LOL, good one

zen4me

quote jburtonpdx:

My response would be a resounding “I dont remember”

LOL!

I have a feeling I won’t get what I want by using that as a response to questioning from the Neuro.

I do want to return to Krav sooner rather than later! 🙂

Invite him to class!thumbsup

Seriously…
    What your neurologist is going to want to know about is “contact.”

Make sure you tell him that you do occasional drills with “surprise” headlocks and chokes and stuff. My guess is that he’s not going to approve but you want to make sure to give him the full story. Better to be safe and heal completely now rather than go half ass on rehab and end up with long term side effects.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: