Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Explosive Punching and Aggresive Defense

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    baptist

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3301214/Championship-Fighting-Explosive-Punching-and-Aggressive-Defense-1950-Jack-Dempsey

Came across this the other day, written in 1950 or something but still really interesting, inspiring writing!

Check it out, its a book for free as I don’t think its in print anymore

kirsten

Re: Explosive Punching and Aggresive Defense

Nice find! I just glanced it over but will look more closely tonight after class.

Great quote from him regarding the difference in a fight and a bout. “The referee enforces the rules in a boxing match; but there are no officials at a fist-fight. Since a fist-fight has no supervision, it can develop into a roughhouse affair in which anything goes. There’s no one to prevent low blows, butting, kicking, eye-gouging, biting and strangling. When angry fighters fall into a clinch, there’s no one to separate them. Wrestling often ensues. A fellow maybe be thrown to earth, floor, or pavement. He can be hammered down, or even be “given the boots” – kicked in the face unless some humane bystander interferes. And you can’t count on bystanders”.

This is one of several gems in this book! Thanks for sharing.

Wow – the book is GREAT!

Thanks for posting the link!!!

Just been taking a quick look… lots of wisdom nuggets.

According to Wiki this is apparently considered the all-time classic tome on boxing, published in 1950, which influenced later writings by Bruce Lee & Edwin Haislet

Fwiw: online version of Haislet’s 1940 book on boxing – also apparently a classic in the genre:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/14747532/Boxing-by-Edwin-Haislet-1940

Seems like a more dry & scientific style of writing as compared to the Dempsey..

The Dempsey book is just too awesome,

Thanks again,

I’m gonna distribute it around amongst my fightin’ buds here..

A little bit about the author 🙂

Jack Dempsey has been called the ìEternal Championî, the ultimate yardstick by which all heavyweight fighters are judged (see International Boxing, July 1969). He was the most thrilling, brutal, and savage fighter who ever entered the ring. His vicious intent was the complete and total destruction of his opponent, and he didnít care how he did it. This usually meant disaster for his foe.

baptist

Wicked, glad you guys are liking it,

I love the way he makes you feel as if anyone, small or large could be a knockout king haha, very inspiring way of writing! Good for me as I’m only 5 foot 8!

Chocolate Soldier, thanks for that, I’ve downloaded it and will be having a good read of it as I have the afternoon free to lounge about!

Gotta stay off Assassins Creed 2 and do something productive :abx:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: