Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Eye Protection During Training

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    maddogmean

Michael Bisping’s eye injury. Bones Jone’s eye pokes against Glover Teixeira. And Mike Winkeljohn losing an eye from a high kick. Incidents like these have me a little concerned about eye safety during training.

I think most people wouldn’t give it much thought, but I have sight in only one eye. I’ve been training all this time without wearing eye protection, but just learning of the Winkeljohn injury sounded the warning bells.:Unsure:

Has anyone worn eye protection during training? And if so what kind? How did it affect your training?

I was thinking about trying a pair of racquet ball glasses to see how they would do. I was also going to get new headgear with a face shield for sparring/drills:
    http://store.titleboxing.com/title-universal-no-contact-headgear.html

Thanks!

wiccaman

Re: Eye Protection During Training

30+ years of contact lens wearing has made me pretty inured to jabs in the eye and the like, but you’re probably wise to be careful. I’ve got a posterior vitreous detachment but that might just have been from a blow (or blows) to the head rather than direct contact with my eye.

We wear helmets with faceguards sometimes. That gives a level of protection but it’s amazing how many times you get poked in the eye anyway.

I’ve got some military issue ballistic goggles (slowly transferring the contents of Camp Bastion to my house). Tried using them during sparring but to be honest just found them a bit distracting (also people kept twanging the elastic bit that holds them on).

If you can get over the slight loss of peripheral vision and the initial distraction though they do provide a good level of safety. They’re made by ESS and you can probably get them from an army surplus store.

maddogmean

I was going to try the headgear and glasses during sparring. The shield to prevent any contact to the glasses and the glasses themselves to protect against any digits getting past the shield.

I’ll definitely look for the ballistic goggles. I already have limited peripheral vision from being a cyclops.

Can’t help but think how I’m going look in class.

But safety first, I suppose.

Thanks!

magpie

Good topic. I’ve been curious about this ever since I got poked in the eye by a newbie in an L1 class.

don

Hey Yoshi, I’m gonna poke you in the eye the next time you come work out so you’d better bring some eye protection with you!

(psst.. I’m not really gonna poke him in the eye – just want to see what kind he’d get… :D:)

don

http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/eloper/LS4701-Groucho-Marx-Glasses-large.jpg

eye AND nose protection built right in!

don

Got one for you Yoshi – Eyes AND Nose protection built right in!

http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/eloper/LS4701-Groucho-Marx-Glasses-large.jpg

don

quote MadDogMean:

Can’t help but think how I’m going look in class.

lol are you 7’2″ and bald too?

don
    maddogmean

Thanks for the suggestions. I purchased a pair of HEAD shatterproof racquetball glasses. Going to try them out next week. Headgear is on the way.

kmyoshi

quote Don:

Hey Yoshi, I’m gonna poke you in the eye the next time you come work out so you’d better bring some eye protection with you!

I was just thinking of bringing some swimming goggles :box2:

I accidentally poked someone in the eye before… the threat is real :(:

quote Don:

Got one for you Yoshi – Eyes AND Nose protection built right in!

LOL!

maddogmean

Tried wearing eye protection during class today. We were doing ground work, so it was a pain keeping them on. They kept getting smudged up. Decided to go without them. Went back to work, and “pop”…my partner knocks my contact lens out…glasses go back on.

wiccaman

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. Had the lens stuck between my eyelids. However I just shouted “Argh, my cornea!” and when my mate instantly backed off I elbowed him.

Hey, it’s the only way he’ll learn not to fall for it.

kmyoshi

quote wiccaman:

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. Had the lens stuck between my eyelids. However I just shouted “Argh, my cornea!” and when my mate instantly backed off I elbowed him.

Hey, it’s the only way he’ll learn not to fall for it.

LOL

Not sure if that is a cheap move but… :dunno:

Lets say next time you pull something like this and he keeps pressure and you really are hurt. Who is the dick now?

kmyoshi

quote MadDogMean:

Tried wearing eye protection during class today. We were doing ground work, so it was a pain keeping them on. They kept getting smudged up. Decided to go without them. Went back to work, and “pop”…my partner knocks my contact lens out…glasses go back on.

I honestly think eye protection is only needed during certain drills. There are warm ups that we do that involve light sparring with no gloves, and a lot of people end up leading with their fingers rather than loose fists, and they end up poking the eyes. Loose fists do not hurt so don’t be afraid to use them on your partners! Yesterday we did this drill and all i could think of was this thread :Surprised:

Guess I’ll need to pick these up… know any places that sell reasonably priced ones Don? thumbsup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: