Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Failed yellow belt test?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    oldkmdude

I’ll be taking my yellow belt test in a month and I was wondering if anyone had a story about failing a yellow belt test. I’m definitely not trying to cause any discomfort for anyone who’s had a bad experience and would rather not post about it — I’m just trying to learn from others’ mistakes. Some of my most valuable lessons have come from spectacular failures.

So what do you say? Anyone have a story, either personal or from someone else, about failing a yellow belt test? What went wrong? How could it have been avoided?

jeanbean

Re: Failed yellow belt test?

I’d be interested in hearing any advice, as well. (I’m taking the yellow belt test at the end of this month…)

I’ve heard the test is pretty intense… Should I lay off krav the day before, and not do any cardio, etc.?

jjbklb

I failed it the first time.When I signed up,I told the instructor that I wasn’t interested in belts,but I did want to master the techniques needed for self-defense.I hadn’t mastered them,& the results of my test reflected that.

This happened years ago.I wasn’t upset at the instructor,just myself.He took the time after class to explain exactly what I needed more work on.I passed the next time even though I had to finish with a badly sprained back.

When I mentioned that I had failed the 1st level test,the board response was one of surprise.It apparently doesn’t happen too frequently.

kmman

I have heard people needed a “retest” is that the same as failing? It seems those that need a retest get the next belt pretty quickly. maybe they needed to sharpen a few areas wheras someone that failed must take the next full test???

jjbklb

quote KMMAN:

I have heard people needed a “retest” is that the same as failing? It seems those that need a retest get the next belt pretty quickly. maybe they needed to sharpen a few areas wheras someone that failed must take the next full test???

==

I think that’s a case of “You say tomatoes…I say tomaatoes”

jacgue36

Yes, all KM testing is intense!! Resting the day before isn’t a bad idea. You definitely don’t want to do a hard work out the day of the test. You’ll want to get lots of carbs in, for energy.

I think, generally speaking, you would have to have done very poorly, not to have passed. Level 1 testing is primarily about heart and determination, not just perfect technique. This is not to say that one should slack off and not get the technique down! Having a good cardio vascular system is important but I think having the physical ability to deal with anaerobic activity is just as important (due to the intense, short burst of energy you will be using).

Train hard ahead of time! Be sure to work on your technique but most of all, don’t stop in the middle of the technique, even if you mess up. Just push through and do something. That’s what you would do in a real fight. You can’t stop, tell the guy the standby while you fix your positioning.

Good luck,

Jacob

twr3cks

I took my test in january and at that time the tests were about 4-4 half hours long and it was like doing 4 classes back to back with the last 30 mins putting it all together going all out. it was a lot more intense than i thought it was going to be. Now it seems they are about 2 and a half hrs long but still pretty intense. Just dont quit, know the techniques but dont quit. I suggest using the day before for slow practice and eat good and have a well balanced breakfast. Good luck

oldkmdude

Thanks for the advice, guys. I passed the test! I think that working out hard in the month leading up to the test and resting in the couple days prior really helped. Also reviewing the techniques with someone who had more experience. Can’t wait to start the level 2 classes.

jacgue36

Congrats!!!! Good job!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: