Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Favorite/Most Helpful Drills

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pinkgloves

Greetings, fellow Krav enthusiasts. I’m curious to know what are some drills that you have either enjoyed the most or found to be the most helpful. They can be anything from stress drills, aggression drills, or even drills that emphasize technique. Thank you in advance for your input. :):

paco

Re: Favorite/Most Helpful Drills

I hate/love aggression drills, they help me improve my situational awareness of multiple attackers as well as reinforce when I need to pay attention to my breathing, etc.

I really love aggression drills that are kicking only. I can put some pretty large buys back with an advancing side and back kick :woohoo:.

One drill we do is an A/B drill, A’s attack B’s (eyes closed until attack comes on). This is one of the best ways I have seen to get the adrenaline flowing some as well as allowing one to work on their assessment of the attack.

stuartf

I’ve done one a couple times where one defender stands in a fighting stance and two or three people are in front of him/her taking turns throwing either an advancing punch or a haymaker. The defender has to do the appropriate defense (inside or 360) but the trick is standing your ground (don’t back up). It really helps. If I do inside defenses against a single “attacker” afterwards I find I have no problem keeping my weight going forward.

pinkgloves

Thank you both for your input. I’ve started my instructor training and am looking for fresh ideas. It’s also nice to know what other schools are using to prepare their students. Thanks again! 🙂

shipwreck

After a little under a month of training I have gone through these 2 drills:

1 – Defender has eyes closed to simulate being caught off guard. Attacker comes up and performs any one of the chokes. We have to break free and defend. It took me a few times to even open up my eyes at first, it’s strange how the mind/body reacts to things.

2 – The ‘spinny’ stick. Our instructor has an Eskrima stick and we have to spin around for 20 seconds to simulate how a huge punch would affect you. We then fall to the ground and have to defend with kicks from multiple attackers. Then we have to defend against an attacker that has climbed on top of us.

Both are phenomenal training in my opinion. All the kicks and punches to the bag are great but if you can’t actually apply them in a simulated ‘real life’ situation it is all for naught.

t-krav

I love any of the multiple attacker drills, especially when 1 has a weapon. As the defender you might have your eyes closed or turned away facing the wall. Someone yells go, turn around / open eyes – identify the attacker with the weapon and render him void while stacking the other attacker behind him, then attack the other attacker. Damn its fun.

Another is weapons defense from a kneeling position that requires you to turn, look, identify threat and spring into action.

For L1/L2 – any aggression drill that requires lots of effort.

mdeaneuscg

We’ve done a few good ones.
    1. school yard rumble: students circle up, and one in the middle. Student in the middle goes a 1-2 minute round, with all other students constantly putting on level appropriate attacks, sometimes including multiple attackers. If you end up on the ground, you pretty much end up with everyone coming to take you out, so you have to get up fast. Everyone rotates through.

2. alley of pain/crowd drill: we generally do this with knives, but I guess it could likely be incorporated with other attacks too. You have a number of designated attackers mixed in with everyone else, and thur ‘ victim’ either walks down the ‘alley’ between two lines of students and the attackers make their attacks as they are passed, or everyone is walking around like in a shopping mall, and attackers approach and attack from any angle. To make it more stressful, students who aren’t the attackers also approach the victim to make innocent queries, like “what’s the time”. Then they have to look for pre-attack indicators. Everyone rotates through as the victim

One interesting one we’ve done is a decision making drill. You are partnered up, one has a focus mitt, and the other closes his eyes. The attacker hits his partner with the focus mitt with enough sting to get an emotional response. The defender then opens his eyes. If the attacker presents the focus mitt, the defender throws a punch, but if not, and the attacker apologizes, the defender doesn’t strike back. This is to get students to not only switch on quickly, but also to learn how to not switch it on when there isn’t a legitimate threat.

pinkgloves

quote Shipwreck:

It took me a few times to even open up my eyes at first, it’s strange how the mind/body reacts to things.

You couldn’t be more correct. I saw this happen tonight during our level one class. The headlock came on, and the defender kept his eyes closed through the whole thing.

Thanks again for the feedback! :wav:

catapult

Donavin teaching his kids to keep their cool while defending against a bunch of schoolyard bullies….

http://lasvegaskravmaga.com/combat-speed/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: