Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Finding a reputable KM instructor…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    los7883

I ran a search for KM instructors in Texas and found one and only one in my area…shoot it’s about 5 minutes from my house…can I assume that if the instructor is listed on the KM website that this is a legit and full-fledged KM instructor?

thunder

what city? if you are in Houston CJ’s really good…great techniques and motivator 😈

los7883

I live in Arlington, TX…it’s just outside of Fort Worth.

dalamar

LOS,

Which instructor is that?? I remember running a search as well and the closest school was in Dallas? Depending on what side of Fort Worth, the instructor you found may be closer to me than the one in Dallas. I will be moving to Denton in August, by the way. Any chance for getting a school started there? It’s a college town.

los7883

This is what I got when i did my search:

https://kravmaga.com/texas.asp

Arlington
    ATA Black Belt Academy
    4101 W. Green Oaks Blvd. #343
    Arlington, TX 76016
    Tel: 817-478-5665

I called them and sure enough they say they teach KM to adults…may need to stop by sometime this or next week to check them out. I have read on here that you have to watch out for the places that teach \”watered-down\” KM, and since this one was listed on the KM website I kinda thought it may be pretty legit/good.

noleone

Instructors

All I can say is, My school is listed on this website and I am now being taught by a non-certified KM instructor.

los7883

I’ve tried looking for other KM places but can’t find crap…only MA places i’ve found over here all teach TKD, Judo, Karate…stuff like that…I had a hard time finding two BJJ places, but have only found one KM place…this sucks.

kravron

Re: Instructors

quote \”Noleone\:

All I can say is, My school is listed on this website and I am now being taught by a non-certified KM instructor.

This seems to be a recurring theme anymore. But no one posts the facts, Is this an apprentice instructor, student instructor, or instructor in training? Is a certified instructor watching over this apprentice? As John has said no un-certified instructor should be teaching a class. Unlike some people I can see circumstances where a workout could be led by a senior student at the school but he should not be teaching anything.

los7883

I’ve also been told that if the place wants you to sign a contract, to walk away…these guys want X amount of dollars for 10 months worth of unlimited training…why can’t these places let you go month to month, what if I start taking it and decide these guys aren’t teaching what I want…am I SOL???

noleone

Instructors

He is a TKD instructor who is not certified to teach KM. John W has been notified of the particulars. The certifed KM teacher left the school. I am a newbie to KM but I can tell you that what is being taught differs substantially from whats on the KM videos.

kravron

Re: Instructors

quote \”Noleone\:

He is a TKD instructor who is not certified to teach KM. John W has been notified of the particulars. The certifed KM teacher left the school. I am a newbie to KM but I can tell you that what is being taught differs substantially from whats on the KM videos.

Ahh well in that case I say burn him at the stake! I am in instructor in training myself and would hate to have a TKD person running my class.

Actually, someone got bad info. I know the instructor there and he is certified. I am in college and have not been training this semester because of a heavy workload but I can assure you he is still there. I saw his truck out front today.. when I was buying fitness supplies. I would train there but like I said.. school, so I work out at the MA club at school but will be back.
    The instructor is Mike Allemier and he went to the camps.. was certified.. I have seen the bruises myself.. He is a pretty swole dude and he has awesome technique. I have been under different instructors and he is really good.
    The contracts there are because Arlington is so competitive. Most MA schools here do have them.. even ones under Black Belt Magazine Instructor of the year Roy Kurban who created the UTA MA club.
    I think if you are going to say he is not there, you go pay him a visit and say that to him..lol
    He is a really nice guy though. What you should do is go up there and meet him and watch a class.. see what you think. He is a real down to earth guy and he is a good tkd teacher/krav teacher and a good guy,
    It kind of pisses me off that whoever says he is not there is spreading that crap.

los7883

Are you talking about the ATA Black Belt Academy? I see what you mean…since I know nothing about MA or where to go, it’s real easy to believe what others tell you. How long did you train there? I went to their website and they don’t metion anything about Krav Maga except one their schedule…I couldn’t find any mention of it anywhere.

leftie79

I never knew the KMNTC had \”apprentice instructors\” or even let you. I know in TKD they do, where they have the black belt teach the class, but never have I heard of the app. krav instructor. I would only want a certified KM instructor who worked their @ss off and bled sweat and tears to teach me.

Yes I am talking about the ATA black belt academy. I can go ahead and tell you about it a little. I am a 22 year old and I earned my black belt in TKD there before leaving for the Army. When I came back I trained there more, and took Krav. I also have been training under Mike Johnson at UTA because I can get credit, I will be back at ATA in May though until I leave for Iraq in June. I have had experience with black belts and different martial artists around the nation in the Army, and I really like it there.
    I was there when Mike Allemier, the instructor went to the Krav Maga certification and the camps and all.
    He is a very good instructor. I don’t think the Krav there is watered down at all. We have had Arnold, a big freakin dude in there, guys with tatoo sleeves, all the way to business men and military like me. The level 2 in the krav there is where you get to really start getting rocked, but all of it is good. I think it complemented my military training very well. My wife is a red belt in TKD there and loved Krav as well.
    The reason it is not on the site much is that I do not think every location of theirs has it. They have a few in the metroplex now affiliated now in tkd.
    The programs there are good. And I even sweat hard after coming back from basic training a couple years ago.
    My dream when I get back from Iraq is pretty much to finish school and get a few nhb fights, and I think this definately was good training.
    As far as Mike Allemier. He is the one who was certified. He also holds a 4th dan in TKD and is certified to instruct Krav Maga. He has been a lot of things and even a bouncer. He is a pretty swole dude, but is really cool. When I had problems growing up, he never judged me no matter how stupid I looked or acted, just helped out. His technical knowledge is insane as well.
    Also, one thing I like about their school is that they are not stuck in their ways. A lot of traditional martial arts schools are not willing to add anything. Years back, they realized you needed grappling and incorporated grappling. They did not go to some hack, but Gracies to learn. They stay with their core MA, but they do teach that too as PART of the learning.. not claiming to be a BJJ school, just adding grappling…adding things that work.

The Krav program there is completely seperate from the TKD program. The work outs definately are good, make sense and get you into shape. What I like is that they are very technical and can help you learn alot. It is a friendly environment and they welcome all.
    I hate to sound like a commercial, but really I find it to be an outstanding program.
    I am a small guy, and MA has helped me a lot. I love the martial arts and train with anyone I can, so I have trained with a lot of people and seen a lot of hack programs. This is not one. The Krav there is good.

I am not sure the motive of the person saying he knew that the person certified was not there, but he is. Arlington is a competitive MA city, so who knows.
    Like I said though, go watch a class. There is a good viewing room and they let anyone watch.
    I think that is the botom line in ma school. Go watch class, don’t take people and their word… I have watched some different schools and it was just terrible.. at the University MA club I have seen people who talk like they are really bad and they are just not good at all.. people can say whatever they want, the proof is seeing… or feeling.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: