Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    walker

What is the proper hand/finger position when thowing a finger strike to the eyes? I see some styles with the hand flat, and thrown with a whip like style. Then I have seen more of a palm strike style with fingers curled kind of like a claw.

jaeroo

I’ve been taught how to execute the finger strike from different angles and hand positions. So it really doesn’t matter. All it matters is that the strike is executed quickly and reaches its intended target. Since the opponent’s eyes automatically flinches, I wouldn’t count on it being a sure hit. It’s more of a setup to momentarily distract the opponent before follwoing up with your real weapons (grappling, hard strikes, etc.). It does help to practice on a maniken, sparring mitt, or the air. I learned my finger strikes from JKD Concepts and Hock’s Combatives. Hope this helps.

armor-all

Spread out your four fingers and tuck in your thumb into your palm. Turn your hand 45 degrees at the strike to make sure at least one of the fingers hits an eye.

clfmak

There’s a whole lot of ways to strike the eyes in Southern styles of kung fu- here’s a pretty good list of the many ways to poke someone’s eye.
    two finger eye strike (jin ji). the index and middle fingers are extended out, and the other two fingers are in a half closed position to add support, as well as the thumb. When combined with a simultaneous snapping kick to the groin, it becomes a \”shadowless kick\” in southern kung fu terminology.

rigid claw- using the \”live long and prosper\” hand position to strike the eyes. More structurally sound than the last one.

crane beak- put all four fingers together and slide the thumb into the space created. Used to strike straight or downward onto the eye. The fingers can be straight or bent depending on the style.

crane wing:cock the wrist down and splay the fingers apart. The thumb is tucked into the palm. This is used to rake inward across the eye, or can flick outward as a quick jab.

dragon claw- this variation involves slapping the ear/side of the head, then attacking the eye with the thumb. Or, a horizontal raking motion across the face with the bent fingers. Dragon claws are also used to attack the throat and below the ribs.

Phoenix eye- make a fist, extend the first knuckle half way, and brace it by touching your thumb to the second digit of your middle finger. Punch the extended digit into the eye.

Leopard fist/ snatching eye fist- uses a half fist to strike the eye, usually with a full rotation (to palm facing outward). In a palm down position, it can also strike the bone on the outside of the eye.

spear hand- straighten all the fingers and poke someone.

tiger claw- used in a few ways- thrusting into the face then clawing the eyes, or raking down the face with just the fingers. The thrust can be either upwards under the chin, or starting from the ear so its slightly downward so the fingers rake down.

chum kiu- a downward whipping strike/block with the fingers open. The wrist snaps down at the end of the motion, giving it a whipping/raking energy. It is used to deflect a straight punch and come over the top to strike the eyes (or its a form in wing chun).

Personally, I think that there’s too much overlap in all of these techniques and that attacking the eyes is not rocket science. Kung fu kind of went reverse of the \”just add dirt\” philosophy of fighting. But it is what it is.

clfmak

Oh, and there’s one more: there’s a pattern called Child Prays to Buddah- put your hands together like you’re praying. Lunge forward, and with both hands still together with the fingers extended, strike with both middle fingers to the eye (this usually goes to the throat).

g-v

There’s also the Moe strike, for which you could defend using the Curly guard.

http://www.allwholesaleposters.com/webstore/images/23312.jpg

clfmak

The Moe defense is actually in a Nazi hand to hand combat manual from back in the day. I laughed out loud at this Nazi commando blocking an eye strike with the edge of his hand (and I think he combined it with a kick to the groin). Everything else is basically the same stuff as Get Tough or Kill or Be Killed. I tried to use the image as my avatar, but I couldn’t size it small enough (because of the programs I use, mostly). Its at http://www.get-tough.net, I think.

kravron

Three stooges kung-fu…aaahhh the classics.

seriously though, a strike to the eyes can be difficult in a stand up fight. You are actually better off going for a punch to the face or a palm strike with open fingers to the nose (open finger palmstrike will achive similar effect and if your fingers hit their eyes its an added bonus). Keep in mind doing a finger strike to the eyes full force from a standing/fighting position you risk breaking your fingers and being in trouble from the get go. On the ground finger strikes are much much easier as you can feel around and grind your thumb(s)/fingers into the eyes of your opponent though its not really a strike..

IF You must use a finger strike, do a rigid finger strike to the adams apple or the hollow of your opponents throat, and do it before they relize that you are attacking to achieve the suprise effect.

tojo

I am new to this forum and had to get involved on this one…I totally agree with KravRon. Has anyone used fruit to work on their finger strikes? We have a striking dummy with hollowed out areas where the eyes would be. I use oranges mostly. Classic operant conditioning. If the need to gouge out an eye ever arises, there will be no apprehension, just a conditioned trained response. Be careful it gets messy 🙂

g-v

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

The Moe defense is actually in a Nazi hand to hand combat manual from back in the day. I laughed out loud at this Nazi commando blocking an eye strike with the edge of his hand (and I think he combined it with a kick to the groin). Everything else is basically the same stuff as Get Tough or Kill or Be Killed. I tried to use the image as my avatar, but I couldn’t size it small enough (because of the programs I use, mostly). Its at http://www.get-tough.net, I think.

Who would’ve thunk it, three american jews training Hitler’s elite. 😆

clfmak

Straight finger attacks may not work well when standing, but with the fingers bent and striking with the palm, you can easilly reach the eye. Especially with the thumb from the side.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: