Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics First class in a few days!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ryan17

Hi everyone,

I’m going to my first class this week!:woohoo: I’m excited! I haven’t done any martial arts prior so this is all new to me! Please help me out. I don’t know what to bring on my first day. Do I need a mouthguard or a cup? I have a few days to buy all the stuff I will need.

Thanks again!

stuartf

Re: First class in a few days!

A cup is a good idea, you can probably get by without it for a class or two, but better safe than sorry. You shouldn’t really need a mouth-guard until level 2. Other than that just typical gym clothes, shorts, t-shirt, sneakers, maybe a towel. Definitely bring a water bottle though.

hicklinc

my first class at akmf i only brought gym clothes, a water bottle, and non marking shoes

pinkgloves

Mouthguards are not required where I train until level two. However, I can honestly say I’ve been hit in the mouth more during level one classes than any other level class. It’s a good idea to have one during the self defense portion of the class. As Stuartf said, wearing a cup is a good idea as well.

Remember to pace yourself. Our classes run about an 8-10 minute warmup followed by 30 minutes or so dedicated to strikes and kicks with drills thrown in to incorporate both. The last 15-20 minutes are reserved for learning and working on self defense. Level one classes can be very intense and very fast paced. I’ve seen even those in the best of shape left catching their breath. This is perfectly fine and acceptable. 🙂

I hope you enjoy your class and wish you the best of luck. 🙂

wiccaman

A groin guard is ALWAYS a good investment; especially for Krav (some cliches are based on truth).

I’d also consider a mouthguard at the earliest opportunity but save for a good one. Ideally get your dentist to make it for you. Not only will that ensure it stops (most of the) damage; it’ll also be a lot more comfortable.

As for the rest of the kit, you’ll pick that up over time. If you ask nicely I’m sure people will let you try out their gear. That way you’ll be able to see what suits you best.

Over the years I’ve got protection for just about everywhere. I sometimes put it all on for a laugh. I look like a Samurai who moonlights as a deep sea diver. Nowadays though I tend to just go with the groinguard, mouthguard and MMA gloves. If I can’t stop an attack anywhere else then I need to practice harder (or pretend I let myself get hit as a conditioning exercise).

Enjoy your first class. I can see you’re very keen and I admire your enthusiasm. use that to get yourself through the first few weeks as there will be times you feel you won’t be able to keep it up. But stick with it; you’ll be amazed with yourself in a few short months.

ryan17

Thanks so much everyone! You’ve helped me a lot. I’ll check back in and report back how it went!

kmky

get a cup (“no groin, no krav maga”), and a mouth guard. even a cheap mouth guard will help some until you can get a good one. new students have less control than ones that have been doing it for a while so you need the protective gear at level 1.

kmyoshi

I second the mouth guard and groin protector. Even though they say you won’t need that till level 2… better safe than sorry.

You’ll only really need the mouth guard when doing drills involving a partner i.e: choke defense, headlock from side, etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: