Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics First Class Update: Opinion? Enter to find out!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lenny3332

Hi all:

So I had my first class this Thursday night in historic Massachusetts. I actually went even with my beloved Red Sox playing at the same time(go Sox!). I must say that I relate it to a love/hate relationship. The cardio at the beginning really did a job on me, but I enjoyed the bag/shield work.

I must say that at about 45 minutes in, I was very close to throwing up. It lasted until the end as well as the entire ride home. It did pass before the night was up however (thank God).

Overall, I liked the teacher and his staff. They were tough but respectful which is what I want. I clearly see that this could be something that I really get into. The thought of becoming in peak shape and having confidence is habit inducing.

I hope that I didn’t bore any of you, but just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences. If I survive one more week of training, I will buy a shirt to show my pride!

Regards,
    Ryan L. \”Lenny\”

maskedkat

Good job, Lenny!!
    Keep it up – I almost puked my first class (and a time or two since) but LOVE it!

Welcome!

stevetuna

Well done, Lenny!

Were you in Boston with Dennis and Sean? From the description of the class, I’d say that you may have been!

Keep it up! Your conditioning will catch up quickly and you will be more able to focus on learning instead of not heaving up your lunch. It sounds to me like you found a good place to be!

Keep us posted on your progress. Best wishes!

lenny3332

Thanks

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I was actually in North Reading. The teacher is an ex-marine who I would say is around 60 years old, but in great shape and strong as hell.

I look forward to my next class. I can currently only go once a week as I have 2 little ones and it is difficult. I am hoping to set up a schedule where I can go twice a week.

This is a great site and everybody has been very helpful and supportive.

Ryan

mara-jade

Hi Ryan!

That’s great you enjoyed the class. Yeah, getting close to puking can happen. I remember my first few I thought I was gonna I might hurl too, but didn’t 😉

I unintentionally did that to a newbie in a level 1 class. We were doing palm strikes and my partner was holding the bag. When I was done with my round, she had to go throw up.. Oops..

russell

i had my first full class last night 45min’s and i’m kinda sore today(we had a intro class on saturday) no throwing up yet,next class is thursday so i’ll find out then, i didn’t know i was that out of shape, and didn’t know a person could sweat that much and not die my daughter (11 yo) didn’t even break a sweat! been watching the classes for a while (my daughter takes tkd at the same place) and just got up the nerve to try it, i wish i’d started 4 years ago when holly started tkd but so far fun and a good workout

russell

lenny3332

Response

Hi Russell,

We are two newbies. I guess it is never too late to start. I definitely wish that I had stayed in shape over the years, but what can you do except start now and make things better.

I have my second class as well tomorrow, so we can both update. It is odd, I am looking forward to it as well as dreading it, especially the cardio.

Ryan

russell

my second class is tomorrow(thursday) i hope i’m over the sorness by then i had my daughter at tkd yesterday and talked to to her instructor(also 1 of the 2 krav teachers) and he could tell i was sore and got a chuckle out of me (he’s my age and been teaching krav for 8 years and taking or teaching tkd for 30) he’s in better shape than i am

wish me luck and good luck to you

russell

stevetuna

Hey Russell –

Welcome! You’ll find that the soreness will fade after just a few classes. Your body will accept that you’re expecting more from it and good things will start to happen. Stay with it!

Glad to read what you and Lenny have to say. One motivating thought is that by working out hard, you’ll have many more years to enjoy with your kids. That’s good stuff. I hope that both of you will continue to keep us updated on your progress.

lenny3332

Yes

Good point about the kids. I definitely want to see them grow and become fine people.

Any thoughts on fatigue? I am tired often, even pre-class, and want to try and improve this. Also, do any vitamins or techniques help with joint soreness? I was thinking about getting some Glucosamine but here that if you are allergic to some types of fish, you could have a reaction. I don’t eat fish, so I am not sure if I am or not.

You all have been very supportive-thanks!! It really does feel like something more on this site. May sound odd, but kind of like a family.

I will let everybody know how my class ends up tomorrow. Russell, please do the same.

russell

they say pain is good, it let’s you know your alive….boy am i alive today my legs,arms,back on second thought everything is sore but it’s a good kind of pain, the kind that let’s you know that you are working out. so after class #2 i’m still going strong and cant wait till #3 on monday but i’m pretty mad at my daughter, she’s makes me look bad! after a 45 min class i’m bent over at the waist gasping for air and sweating like a nun reading the da vinci code and she’s laughing at me! ready for more!! but i love spending time with her and getting in shape at the same time

look for more post’s as soon as the pain in my fingers is gone

russell

lenny3332

Second Class

I also had my second class on Thursday. Where the week before I left the class feeling like I was going to throw up, this class I left battered and bruised. We ended up doing these excercises where you take a kick to the quad as well as blocking elbows and punches.

Once I got out of the class, my leg was swollen and had some good bruising. My arms had some as well, but not as big.

I guess they say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I am hoping that is true. I do hope that the class this week does not have blows to the same area though.

Ryan

stevetuna

Oh yes, Lenny – we know that pain!!!

Keep it up! Sounds like you’re on a good roll. That pain is known as “Krav love”.

russell

started my second week of classes, very little soreness today, might not have worked as hard, but today i feel good, i can tell my overall energy level is up. i dont weigh myself often but i think i might be losing weight (i’m about 20#’s overweight) still breathing heavy and a lot of sweat but it’s not as bad. and i find it hard not try drills while at work. yesterday i was punching a box to check the form to make sure i was punching right i guess i have krav on the brain

i’ll keep everyone posted

keep punching
    russell

mara-jade

Ryan, Russell – Keep it up y’all – you’re doing great!:D. I’m was a little sore yesterday from my Strength/Cardio class Saturday. My instructor Sylvia knows how to bring on the pain;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: