Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics First Krav Class Tonight!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jmac-d66

WOW!

I am soooooo out of shape!

Anyone else ever feel like vomiting the first night they went to KM Class? rofl2

I have to say this was very tough for me and a BIG eye opener. My wife has been telling me for years to eat better and drink more h2o and less pop\soda…….and now I see why! :chair:

Sore in Michigan!

dunc

Re: First Krav Class Tonight!

yes.
    about halfway through.
    i was told by the instructors not to hurl on the mats.

don’t worry, it gets better very quickly.
    now i make sure i drink a big glass of water at least 1/2 an hour before class. i think it helps.
    mind you, i live in LA where were always in a mild state of dehydration anyway.

trust me, give it a month and you’ll be wondering if you could manage 2 classes in a row. (not that i’ve actually done it of course).

anyway, welcome to the club.

dunc

more wag,
    less bark.

tko99

Yea, I actually thought I was in pretty good shape until I had my first class. Then reality kicks inbow1 .Also, it would be wise to start off slowly and work your way up so that your knuckles get use to the hitting.
    Super happy that my knuckles are not bleeding anymore :beer:
    I agree with the previous post, just give it some time (provided that you go in consistent/ don’t take an entire wk off) and your conditioning will make tremendous amount of progress.

Oh, and if there’s an intro to krav class at your training center (they have a 90 min one at NTC on Saturdays), take it! It makes a world of difference in my opinion.

jmac-d66

Will do!

Thanks for the advice.

kirk

absolutly! I get that feeling now when I take bag class, then a lvl 1 class, then some Bass, dry heaves kick in!!

russell

took me about 2 weeks (2 classes a week) till i felt like i wouldn’t ralph in class, that’s not to say i still dont get sore the next day like today!

jmac-d66

I felt 45mins out of the 60mins I was there was cardio. WHY?

If I wanted mostly cardio I would join a gym and take classes for that. I joined to learn self-defense.

I know it’s my first class so not really complaining more wondering if it’s like this at every class?

rifle

JMAC,

Fighting is a LOT of cardio. KM is a military based system and it gets the intensity up THEN makes you perform, just like a real fight.

Most people who *think* they’re good fighters are totally winded after throwing a punch or two. They win bar fights by landing a good punch, or two. They may be strong, but have no endurance. When they meet someone who can take a punch and stay in the fight, they’re hosed.

Think about it; fight or flight response…heart rate shoots up, pupils dilate, resperation goes up, you start sweating…sounds a lot like an aerobic workout, right?

NOW fight….

That’s the one of the beauties of KM. It keeps you on your toes, on the edge and keeps pushing you to never give up. One of my instructors said the other night “If you’re breathing, your fighting!”.

That’s my .02 cents anyway.

Rifle

dunc

You’re the second person I’ve seen that’s said that.

In our classes, we do a bit of warmup and stretches, then lots of combatives (punching, kicking, bagwork etc.), usually either building into longer and more complicated sequences, or we develop something else more defensive like blocks or ground fighting. Choke releases tend to be taught as a 15 to 20 min section at the end of something more violent.

I’m lucky to have the NTC on my doorstep, so we have a lot of classes to go to, you should pick up the whole curriculum in a few months.

The combatives are fine as a cardio workout, so I guess we use that as the conditioning part of the class.

I my experience all the instructors are easy to talk to, so I’d suggest bringing it up with them if you feel there’s not enough actual violence going on.

Buy Darren Levine’s book, i think it’s called “Complete Krav Maga”, to give a rough idea of what you’re expected to cover in the first 4 months.

all the best

dunc

more wag,
    less bark.

jmac-d66

Understood Rifle and it makes complete sense as to what you are saying.

dunc thanks for the advice!

I guess I’m just not used to that kind of training and I must say VERY dissapointed in myself to get so far out of shape and now must FIGHT to get back to where I once was!

:beer:

spartankrav

JMAC,

Where in Michigan do you train?

jmac-d66

Hey spartankrav,

I train in Livonia at the Dragon Academy.

Where you at?

spartankrav

I am at Krav Maga Detroit, although I’m currently taking a break to focus on BJJ. The reason I asked is because I was going to say if you were at KMD you will definitely be learning self defense and fighting. I’ve never trained at your place but I’d echo what was said above. Sometimes early on it seems like it is a lot of cardio because that is the biggest shock to your system. Thus, it stands out. But you ARE learning SD. You just may not know it yet. Good luck with your training.

jonj480

I think another reason why it seems like a lot of cardio is Krav focuses alot of the techniques on instinctual movements. The purpose is to teach muscle memory at a state of exhaustion so that under stress, you will be able to duplicate the techniques correctly. For example, if you can perform the techniques you are taught in class, when you are exhausted to the point where you might puke and can hardly breathe, you have a much better chance of performing the technique when you are attacked and are afraid for your life (i.e. under extreme duress).

I think that is what separates Krav from many other Traditional Martial Arts. I am not knocking any other style or tradition, just pointing out the difference. You will never be attacked in an “ideal situation” on the street, and fights are very fluid and the dynamic is always changing. It is important to duplicate that as best as possible, and the only way to do that is to “put yourself through the ringer” when you are training.

saruotoko

quote JonJ480:

I think another reason why it seems like a lot of cardio is Krav focuses alot of the techniques on instinctual movements. The purpose is to teach muscle memory at a state of exhaustion so that under stress, you will be able to duplicate the techniques correctly. For example, if you can perform the techniques you are taught in class, when you are exhausted to the point where you might puke and can hardly breathe, you have a much better chance of performing the technique when you are attacked and are afraid for your life (i.e. under extreme duress).

I think that is what separates Krav from many other Traditional Martial Arts. I am not knocking any other style or tradition, just pointing out the difference. You will never be attacked in an “ideal situation” on the street, and fights are very fluid and the dynamic is always changing. It is important to duplicate that as best as possible, and the only way to do that is to “put yourself through the ringer” when you are training.

Well put, JonJ. It’s also a reason why we put the workshop ahead of the test. And some of you thought it didn’t make sense to give you a 3+ hour workout, in the form of the workshop, ahead of your 45-60 minute Level 1 (going to Level 2) test? Now you know another one of the reasons. 🙂

Mario

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: