Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bracius

I am hoping that someone knows about this and has an answer but from day one I have serious cramps in my arches when in class. Its something about being on a mat or something.

I don’t get alot of action at work and I do mostly farm type work at home (I live out in the country). As soon as I hit that mat I am in serious pain. Sometimes to the point where I have to stop or I am going to collapse. It is terribly embarrassing and I really feel like I am letting my instructor down and my sparring partner.

Has anyone gone through this? How do you remedy this?

Re: Foot cramps (arches)

Shalom, I recongized that. Get yourself checked for diabetes.

Your feet could be hurting because of low sugar plus loss of enegry.

It could be that you are pre-diabetes and don’t even know it yet, pre-diabetes can be reversed.

Many people who have not controlled their diabetes have gone onto have foot amputation, or worse so you want to keep on getting better. It is not just your arches, please do get yourself checked and G-d Bless ….. 🙂

http://www.diabetes.org/

http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/

Shalom JewishFitness. I sometimes get a very sharp shooting pain in one or both feet if I am cold and I jump on a hard surface. Is that normal?

After I’ve warmed up it doesn’t happen again. It happens mostly if I jump from a height onto a hard surface, or if I hop on one leg. I remember I used to get it in primary school in gym class too. I had it once now in Krav Maga, but not again.

I think the pain starts at the top of my foot, if that helps.

bracius

Thank you for the ideas! I talked to a doctor friend of mine and he says that I am not hydrating enough (I came pretty close to heat stroke in Wednesday class) and I need to load up on more Vit. D, eat more banana’s, and get calcium entered into my body (either the chews or drink milk). He did let me know that the diabetes thing was more than just a good idea! Its mandatory if I ever want to talk to him again.

He said he was going to kick me in the junk if I didn’t get a physical done soon.

quote Bracius:

Thank you for the ideas! I talked to a doctor friend of mine and he says that I am not hydrating enough (I came pretty close to heat stroke in Wednesday class) and I need to load up on more Vit. D, eat more banana’s, and get calcium entered into my body (either the chews or drink milk). He did let me know that the diabetes thing was more than just a good idea! Its mandatory if I ever want to talk to him again.

He said he was going to kick me in the junk if I didn’t get a physical done soon.

Glad you are gonna get yourself checked out. Hopefully you get better. 🙂

quote Liquid Rockface:

Shalom JewishFitness. I sometimes get a very sharp shooting pain in one or both feet if I am cold and I jump on a hard surface. Is that normal?

After I’ve warmed up it doesn’t happen again. It happens mostly if I jump from a height onto a hard surface, or if I hop on one leg. I remember I used to get it in primary school in gym class too. I had it once now in Krav Maga, but not again.

I think the pain starts at the top of my foot, if that helps.

I suspect with you, it could be pinched nerves, I suggest you check with a doctor who specializes in the central nervous system and I would say go ahead and get yourself checked out for diabetes, just in case. Hope you get better too. 🙂

kmcat

I don’t get long lasting cramps in my arches but some of the drills, especially in fitness class can do a number on them.

It usually comes on when I am working on staying on the balls of my feet. It really works the muscles there in the foot, especially jump rope or jumping jack drills in combination with movement.

It does go away quickly with the stretches we do in class.

Try focusing on some stretching for them just after you warm up and at the end of the class. You can probably find instructions and diagrams for some on the internet.

nixxon

No expert by any means….. but you also might have a condition called Plantar Fasciitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis). I know alot of runners can develop if if they don’t have proper foot support. Since you walk around alot on the farm I’m sure this could possibly develop, even more so if you wear boots with little to no arch support.

I know some reccomendations that people have had are to take a golf ball or something similar and roll it under your foot while standing with mild to hard pressure. This “streches” your muscles, tendon and ligaments on the bottom of your foot, effectively warming it up. Do it 1-2 mins on on each food… its similar to that foam roller than people are in a rave about… myofascial tissure release.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_Release)

In addition I would also probably reccomend the standard application of the RICE method. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation…. contrast baths… pick your rehab method, they are a dime a dozen.

Oh I forgot to add that walking in sand is a excellent way to strengthen the muscles of your feet, just remember that with rehab only exercise while painless.. if you exercise with acute pain you’ll just cause yourself harm. Know your limits!

bracius

quote Nixxon:

I know some reccomendations that people have had are to take a golf ball or something similar and roll it under your foot while standing with mild to hard pressure. This “streches” your muscles, tendon and ligaments on the bottom of your foot, effectively warming it up. Do it 1-2 mins on on each food

Nixxon, you nailed it! I got one of my golf balls and did it right before todays class. Almost no pain plus I stayed hydrated all week so I am sure that helps a lot too! I worked so well that I was at 140% all the way through class. When everyone was dropping like flies I was jumping rope or filling the spare time with punches to the bags. My instructor commented that he has never seen me with so much energy.

unstpabl1

quote Bracius:

Nixxon, you nailed it! I got one of my golf balls and did it right before todays class. Almost no pain plus I stayed hydrated all week so I am sure that helps a lot too! I worked so well that I was at 140% all the way through class. When everyone was dropping like flies I was jumping rope or filling the spare time with punches to the bags. My instructor commented that he has never seen me with so much energy.

Thats tennis or golf ball myofascial foot massage is one of the best things you can do. One day before working out simply do a forward bend legs straight. don’t force the stretch. Just let the arms hang and note how far the hands reach. Then simply do the foot muyofascial for a bit. Then go back to the unforced forward bend. You should see a big difference in the bend naturally

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: